Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How long do the effects of a cortisone injection last?  (Read 141658 times)

Offline happybunny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How long do the effects of a cortisone injection last?
« on: April 16, 2007, 03:48:34 AM »
I had a cortisone injection in my knee on Friday and it is like a miracle! I am walking almost normally and the pain is reduced by 90%. I am now afraid this wont last.

I have severe osteoarthritis after the removal of my medial meniscus 25 years ago. I am taking Mobic 15 mg per day, which I hope will now be more effective since the inflammation seems to have calmed. I was at about the end of my rope pain-wise, so I am so happy this has worked. I just hope it lasts for a long time?

What has been everyone's experience with this?

knee deep in Goo

Re: How long do the effects of a cortisone injection last?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 03:59:17 AM »
Good Luck. I hope your leg is able to get stronger so your pain subsides.  Have you tried any type of viscosupplementation? It is also another thing you can try to help reduce your OA pain .

Offline susieq2007

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 04:49:19 AM »
After my cortisone shot, I walked normally and was pain free for 3 days. That was it. I tried the series of Supartz injections after that. Those shots did not help. Ultimately, I had my total knee replacement surgery on March 27th.of this year.( I had been told that arthroscopy would not help either.) Good luck to you.         Susan :)
March 27, 2007  TKR-right knee

Offline happybunny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 07:14:16 AM »
Good Luck. I hope your leg is able to get stronger so your pain subsides.  Have you tried any type of viscosupplementation? It is also another thing you can try to help reduce your OA pain .

I havent tried the Synvisc yet--that is next on the plan. I am switching insurance plans so I have that complication before I can see my original OS next month and get started on them. I needed immediate pain relief--it had gotten so bad I had developed plantar fasciitis on my left foot, since I was favoring my right leg so much. I feel like things are in a little more control now. Just hope my cortisone lasts longer than the 3 days mentioned!

Offline Almpngcat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 06:15:18 PM »
Those shots did not help. Ultimately, I had my total knee replacement surgery on March 27th.of this year.( I had been told that arthroscopy would not help either.) Good luck to you.         Susan

Hello Susan...i am curious how is the knee replacement working for you.. I am also curious how are you.. My ortho surgeon completely disaggree of me going throught it  I felt the scope did not help me at all..  The considered me too young to have it and to risky to have it redone.... personal question is at what age group are you. I am in 40's age group.

thank  you,
Mary

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 04:18:08 AM »
Mary...I had a cortisone shot last Thursday, and got very little relief for that day and the next, then it was the same pain as always. I, too, am facing a TKR. In fact, OS told me to call him in 2 weeks and schedulean appointmentwith him to either a. schedule synvisc injections....IF the cortisone worked, which it did not or b. schedule an appointment with him to set up my TKR. I am 42. You can read my other posts in patellar femoral, post op diary, calendar of events to get my "knee story". Sounds like we have alot of similarities. Keep in touch.

Donna
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline happybunny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 01:27:38 PM »
An update... its been two weeks since my cortisone shot and my knee is still much improved. It was almost 100% pain free (but still felt unstable) the first week--and this week I have a small amount of discomfort but it's totally tolerable. My Mobic also seems to be more effective now that the inflammation has been calmed, and seems to be maintaining. One thing that I did notice--how much the pain had limited me without really knowing it--suddenly I am doing more yard and house work, playing more with the kids I see as a therapist and walking like a normal person again! I now feel very hopeful that the Synvisc injectins might have a real chance to work since I experienced so much relief. :)

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 10:44:51 PM »
I'm glad the cortisone has lasted for you! It only lasted for a week for me. The day after was the worst pain I have experienced in my life, but the week it was gone was the best week of my life.

Too bad I had to march in the Hollywood Christmas Parade two weeks after the shots... it would have been nice if it lasted that long.

:ST!CK:SH!FTY:
7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

Offline susieq2007

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 03:41:47 AM »
Hi Mary,

It's me, Susan. To answer your questions, I am 59 years old. Believe it or not, I had two orthopedic surgeons tell me that I was "too young for a tkr." After trying cortisone, Supartz injections (fluid therapy) prescription pain meds and pain patches and physical therapy, I was still limping and having horrid pain. The third orthopedic surgeon recommened the tkr. He was adamant that arthoscopy would not help me...could possibly make the situation worse.

I know that the revision surgery could be in 15-20 years. Hopefully modern medicine will continue to advance. (currently the revision surgery is supposedly more difficult than a tkr)

I'm coming along. It's been quite an ordeal. The knee pain that I had is definitely gone. :)  What I'm dealing with now is getting the strength back in the leg; in order for me to navagate without a cane. I know that I'll have to perpetually continue with strenthening exercises. A recumbent bike, along with swimming, is the exercise that has been recommended.

I'm optomistic that better days are ahead.                  Good Luck to you. 

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 06:59:17 PM »
An update... its been two weeks since my cortisone shot and my knee is still much improved. It was almost 100% pain free (but still felt unstable) the first week--and this week I have a small amount of discomfort but it's totally tolerable. My Mobic also seems to be more effective now that the inflammation has been calmed, and seems to be maintaining. One thing that I did notice--how much the pain had limited me without really knowing it--suddenly I am doing more yard and house work, playing more with the kids I see as a therapist and walking like a normal person again! I now feel very hopeful that the Synvisc injectins might have a real chance to work since I experienced so much relief. :)

Cortisone and Synvisc injections are two totally different things. I got no relief from either one and I would not recommend Synvisc to anyone. From what I've read, the majority of people get no benefit. Either way the results will be temporary. I once had a cortisone injection in my shoulder that lasted three weeks. That's the most relief I've ever gotten. I had a PKR back in December and for the first time in about 30 years I have no pain during the day and only minor pain and stiffness at night.

Offline happybunny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 05:23:26 AM »

Cortisone and Synvisc injections are two totally different things. I got no relief from either one and I would not recommend Synvisc to anyone. From what I've read, the majority of people get no benefit. Either way the results will be temporary. I once had a cortisone injection in my shoulder that lasted three weeks. That's the most relief I've ever gotten. I had a PKR back in December and for the first time in about 30 years I have no pain during the day and only minor pain and stiffness at night.

Oh I know they are totally different. I am just hoping that a less-inflamed knee = better chance for the Synvisc to work. My cortisone shot is still working somewhat, a month later. Not as great as the first week, but not unbearable either--and I totally overdid it on vacation by doing some hiking :(

I know the results are temporary, but I really dont want to have a TKR. Someone I know had one (granted, she is much older than I) and she lost almost 2 years of her life to this surgery. She had the TKR, then the prosthesis got infected, had to be taken out, her leg had to recover from the infection (with a steel rod in place) and THEN she had to redo the TKR. Sorry, that is just not for me. I will do anything and everything to avoid it and if I can get some time with the Synvisc, I will do it. I am also open to trying the Unispacer or that surgery that realigns your leg bones (forget the name).

What is really concerning me is that my good knee has suddenly begun to act up--pain on straightening it, swelling... I think it is being done in by overuse as I use that leg too much. I see the orthopod next week, so we will see!

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 05:36:03 AM »
Susie..How long ago did you have yout TKR? I am going to get scheduled next Thurs...I am 42.

I feel the same way about a "possible" revision. Ill take the chance.

Please tell me about the surgery, hospital stay ,etc.

Thanks...DONNA :D
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline susieq2007

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 08:39:57 PM »
Hi Donna,

The key is to have an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in total joint replacement; along with having extensive physical therapy.
Do begin the therapy asap after surgery.

To answer you, I had a spinal. The advantage was that when I woke up in the recovery room I didn't have horrid pain plus there were no tubes in my throat to make it sore. The first couple of days in the hospital were rough. I took Percocet every 4 hours.
I was in the hospital for 4 nights, 5 days.

It is quite an ordeal, I'll admit. Now at 7 weeks, I've gotten the okay to drive the car.  :)  I only used the walker for a couple of weeks before my therapist switched me to the cane. I am hoping to be done with that within the next month.
I always took a prescription pain pill 45 minutes before my therapy appointments.

I'll be going to the local YMCA now to utilize the recumbent bike and the warm therapy pool. It's important to continue exercising to keep the muscles strong; along with the range of motion.

I googled "total knee replacement" before surgery and watched the virtual surgery on Edheads.

The first couple of months have been a challenge but I can see that I'm turning the corner. I no longer have the pain that I had before surgery. :)

Do utilize this website for support. I see by your profile that you and I both live in Pennsylvania. You can see my email address.
Don't be hesitant on emailing me with questions, also.

Keep a positive attitude. Don't be hesitant on leaning on family and friends for help. Better days are ahead, Donna.   Susan

Offline chereb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 12:49:07 AM »
I had a cortisone injection at the end of May and it was like a miracle! I was pain free and couldnt beleive life could be so good without the constant pain. The injection lasted about 1 week before i started to feel some discomfort and then it just gradually got worse again. Within one month i was back to square one. My GP suggested you could get anything from 2 weeks to 6 months out of the injection. You never know! I would go for it again. My OS refused me it because i was 35 and i would wear on my knee more because i was pain free. He said the pain was there for a reason and that i should listen to it. My resoning was that i was taking my girls to Disneyworld and i wanted some peace to enjoy it!

Offline LisaV

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 01:50:51 PM »
Hi!
Forgive me as I'm a total newbie to this forum.
I had a cortisone injection in November. I had added pain for 48 hours following the jab. Unfortunately I had no relief whatsoever from it. I had such high hopes but nothing wrong with trying. It's great you are getting relief from your pain. I was told at the time relief could be from zero to 6 months with an average time of about 6 weeks.. Hopefully you'll be one of the latter group.
Good luck.
Lisa

support