Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Plica-one knee then the other  (Read 773 times)

Offline cornomaster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Plica-one knee then the other
« on: April 13, 2007, 07:30:15 PM »
I had plica removed 6 weeks ago.  Before surgery, while hoping and waiting to see if it would improve with conservative measures, my other knee began to hurt with similar symptoms.  Now it has gone downhill drastically.  Has anyone ever experienced the same sort of thing...plica acting up in both needs at largely the same time?

Offline jg5118

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
Re: Plica-one knee then the other
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 09:46:35 AM »
I've got exactly the same thing - I had my right knee done three weeks ago, and almost immediately, I've noticed my left knee has started snapping and clicking.

I'm going back to see my consultant in three weeks again and will ask him then if that's the case.

J

Offline jg5118

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
Re: Plica-one knee then the other
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 08:44:20 AM »
I saw my consultant last night - he's really pleased with the right knee following the plica removal six weeks ago.  He showed me all the pictures.  I have a textbook perfect right knee, smooth cartilage and ligaments etc - then this massive great plica came into view, which he has completely resected and I've been fine since. 

I asked him about the other knee as I've had some pain, clicking etc. and he had a prod and feel, putting it through flexion etc.  He asked if the symptoms were similar to those of the other knee - yes, except it doesn't give way under me, so he's suggested leaving it a couple of months, see how I get on, and if it's still painful in late August/September, go to see him again and he can then re-evaluate and if necessary, surgery (giving me six months before I ski next March).  He has said that if there is a problem, it won't necessarily show up on an MRI so the way to find out would be to scope it, but he won't rush into surgery unless needed. 

Hope that helps you cornomaster - so yes, it can be bi-lateral.

J

support