Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 3 weeks post op Lateral Meniscectomy......  (Read 1328 times)

Offline BB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
3 weeks post op Lateral Meniscectomy......
« on: April 11, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
Hi there......your advice/comments would be appreciated.......
I tucked my right leg underneath my bottom and sat down to eat....... Ouch!! My leg locked, awful pain and ambulanced off to hospital... MRI showed large Bucket Handle Tear of Lateral Meniscus.  The irony of that evening was that I was excitedly plotting my Sea to Sea cycle trip at the end of May..
Prior to my op the OS said that I could carry on with my sports without too much of a problem.  Post op info is very different.....
I play recreational tennis, swim, mountain bike and was hoping to do a triathlon... I have been told now that tennis is out of the question along with running.. and I can expect arthritis within next 5-10 years and then look forward to a knee replacement?
I am taking 1500mg Glucosamine and Chondroitin...
Do I 'brave it out' and continue having fun on the tennis court (nothing competitive) or simply give up something that I love and find a sensible alternative? 
Your opinion would be very helpful...
Thanks

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: 3 weeks post op Lateral Meniscectomy......
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 07:58:35 PM »
Was your meniscus completely removed? Either way, high impact sports like running and tennis are going to pound the crap out of your knee and cause it to degenerate quickly. It can also make it somewhat unstable which could cause further damage if you're not careful. Biking and swimming are great for knees. I tore my lateral meniscus 34 years ago and only just had a PKR 4 months ago. Biking and swimming prolonged its life and kept my muscles strong.

But to answer your question, it's really up to you. You can have fun now and pay for it sooner or take good care and pay for it later on. I can tell you from experience that 'sooner' happens a lot quicker than you would hope. I can also tell you from experience that another injury will hurt a lot more than the first. The first time I tore my ACL hurt badly, when I injured it the next time it was the worst pain I have ever felt. Shortly after that I tore my meniscus and haven't really had a pain free day since. Although the PKR has done much to reduce pain.

Before you waste your money on Glucosamine and Chondroitin you might want to read this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18027830/

Offline BB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: 3 weeks post op Lateral Meniscectomy......
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 08:10:58 AM »
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply...... OS says he removed 70%-90% of my meniscus.....I have also been reading about pro's cons of Meniscus Replacement.... I'm not convinced just yet that the procedure is far enough advanced.  I take on board your comments and certainly don't want to put myself into more pain unnecessarily.... Thanks also for info on Chondroitin...
Good luck with your knee!