Advertisement - Hide this advert

Poll

Locking Knee!!

Knee problem
0 (0%)
What's going on
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Subluxation?  (Read 791 times)

Offline priestess

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Subluxation?
« on: April 11, 2007, 02:14:20 PM »
Do for a TTT within the month.  After my LR and therapy, my knee locks when bending and sometimes when I stand up.  (Very weird).  Is this locking sensation that I get a Subluzation?  or a dislocation?  On all my paper work before I had the first surgery it said dislocation.  
Thanks Tracy

Offline Chondrosoldier

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
    • Myspace
Re: Subluxation?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 05:05:01 PM »
Dislocation and subluxation are used in a common sense when referring to chronic tracking problems.  Bottom line is your having the TTT to get it fixed so don't worry about the terminology.

For the record. dislocations are traumatic events when the kneecap comes totally out of place and is reduced by extending your leg.  The locking you are referring to is a subluxation as your patella is riding up and outward on the lateral facet.  It probably "locks" right around 35-40 degrees.

Good luck with the TTT. 
1997 L Traumatic dislocation/ACL
1997-2001 L recurrent sbuluxation
2001 L TTT Realignment
2006 L Patellar Carticel biopsy/debridement
2006 L Carticel 4cm patellar reimplantation
2007 R Carticel biopsy/debridement
 Insurance Battle
2008 R TTT 4CM Patalla/3CM Trochlea Carticel implant
Happiness!

Offline priestess

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 06:49:24 PM »
Thanks so much, your explaning it, puts it in perspective.  This site is so great.
Tracy

brianne

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 06:52:01 PM »
Subluxation is where your kneecap paritially comes out of the groove, but not completely.  This is likely the locking feeling that you are feeling.  For me, it got to the point where subluxations almost didn't hurt me at all...it was more of a weird feeling.

Dislocations are when your kneecap comes completely out of the groove.  Often times it will self reduce when you try to straighten your leg.  However, in many cases it will stay out of the groove and your knee will be very visably deformed.  I had this happen a few times on each knee and had to go to the ER to get my kneecap put back in place...and this is oh so painful.

Dislocation and subluxation are often freely interchanged, but they are different occurances.

I hope this helps.

Brianne

Offline priestess

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 06:57:46 PM »
What mine feels like is, when I'm  sitting in my recliner and I go to bend my right leg, it just won't go up.  So I lay it back down and try it again, and maybe am able to get it up a little bit more, but not all the way and just keep trying the same thing.  Some times I just give up and let it lay there!!  haha.  When I'm sitting with my let out stretched, it will do the same thing.  Knee's are great aren't they?
 This happened at work, I've been out of work for 6 months already,  sometimes I don't see an end it sight. 
Tracy