Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New here with recent knee injury. Would love some advice!  (Read 664 times)

Offline jarvster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New here with recent knee injury. Would love some advice!
« on: April 10, 2007, 11:17:59 PM »
Hey there people.  I hurt my knee last week and was hoping for some of your thoughts :)

A bit of an embarrassing injury really and totally self-inflicted. 

I was in a bar with a friend and decided to move from my seat to the bench opposite me - no more than 1 foot away.  It involved a 180 degree turn - I got up turned and sat down but my foot got caught and didn't turn as I sat down :o

I felt a sudden sharp pain in my knee which faded after about 5-10 seconds.  I was able to walk on it ok but it is still sore.  Thing is I only really engage the soreness with particular movements which might help peeps here in a basic diagnosis.

If I sit down and plant my foot on the ground and then drag my foot back under my seat - this seems to cause pain (not massive shapr pain but uncomfortable). 

I can't quite describe the location but Ill try.  In a way I can feel it in the back of my knee and at the front sides.  It also hurts (a little more sharply) if I stand and lock the knee joint out and then attempt to drag my foot backwards under my wieght (same as sitting down I guess but with more weight acting against the movement).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what bit of my knee Ive injured and whether a bit of rest will fix the prob.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Cheers!

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
Re: New here with recent knee injury. Would love some advice!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 04:59:21 AM »
It sounds like it could be a meniscus tear, which is commonly caused by twisting just like you did, or it could be just twisted a bit.   Have you had much swelling?

My suggestion would be to see how it feels over the next couple days.  Ice and elevate it as much as you can in the meantime.  If it's still hurting, definitely get it checked out.  Oh, and avoid doing those movements that make it sore.  (Duh!)  :)

Hope you feel better soon!
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

Offline jarvster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 06:46:34 PM »
Hey Maile

I didn't notice much, if any, swelling.  It happened about 5 days ago and Im guessing that it must just have been a twist.  I guess the best thing is to rest it. :(

And yes - Ill try to avoid doing the movements that hurt it!!!

Offline hil13

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 11:04:53 PM »
Hi,
Sounds like a menisus tear to me. Get it checked in case it does more damage. Watch for swelling around the knee or warmness to touch. My knee is still swollen a year later and waiting to go on the list for surgery.My injury was a car hit me, I thought my leg was broken,(if only it was that simple 6 weeks to recover) whatever way I was hit or fell too the ground done the damage. Hospital said I be ok in 10 days that was April 06.  Get your leg checked out asap. Good Luck.

support