Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Searching for information regarding Fulkerson/TTT Procedure  (Read 1314 times)

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Searching for information regarding Fulkerson/TTT Procedure
« on: April 09, 2007, 11:06:16 PM »
Hi, this is my first time posting - I have been trying to fiind as much information about this procedure (Fulkerson/TTT) since I had discussed it briefly with my OS before my last surgery for cartilage repair on my left knee.  The thought was that there was a slight chance that this surgery would be necessary but he wouldn't know until he got into surgery and could get a good look around.  By the way, I have had cartilage repair twice on my left knee and lateral releases on both knees.  At the time of this last surgery (2-5-07) my OS thought all of my pain was from the extensive cartilage damage - which was probably some of the pain, however, I am now two months post-op and have just been told  that I will have to go back in to have the TTT done.  So, I have this procedure scheduled for May 7th and am kind of shell shocked.   

I do completely trust my OS and my PT.  I believe my OS was trying to avoid this surgery - which from reading some of the stories I can understand why. 

Any information from any of you about this procedure and helpful hints regarding the post-op would be great.

Thanks.
Giege

trainwreck

Re: Searching for information regarding Fulkerson/TTT Procedure
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 11:15:12 PM »
Hi.  I was scheduled fot the TTT last Thurs but when my OS got in there she found she could not another latereal release on medial side along with a bunch of other minor crap.  Try to find Brianne post-op diary.  I think she had an extremely good one I read beforehand to help prepare.

Good Lucik!!

Offline Chondrosoldier

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 01:04:06 AM »
Welcome to the board.  What kind of "cartilage repair" did you have?  microfracture.  Understand that restoring your alignment and establishing proper biomechanics through TTT is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to upholding the integrity of cartilage repair.  It is a painful open procedure, yes, but you will be back on your feet in no time.

Are you familiar with ACI or Carticel and\or seeing a surgeon certified in the procedure.  It is might be a great option in conjunction with the TTT if you are a candidate.  Lateral releases are a crapshoot.  If not done with other procedures such as TTT, good results are marginal, at best.

My advice post-op for the TTT is grin and bear it and don"t be afraid to start weigtbearing ASAP.  The tibial plug will be bolted in there well. 

DEFINITELY EXPLORE CARTICEL AS AN OPTION BEFORE UNDERGOING YOUR SURGERY.  You learn more and find a doctor in your area by going to carticel.com  It might save you some MAJOR PAIN in the future.

From your email, my guess is your OS is more traditional and doesn"t do Carticel.  Find somebody who does.  Seems your current OS is killing you by having individual crapshoot procedures like Lat release and microfracture.  The bigger ones such as TTT with Carticel are long and painful but fix the problem once and for all.

[email protected]
1997 L Traumatic dislocation/ACL
1997-2001 L recurrent sbuluxation
2001 L TTT Realignment
2006 L Patellar Carticel biopsy/debridement
2006 L Carticel 4cm patellar reimplantation
2007 R Carticel biopsy/debridement
 Insurance Battle
2008 R TTT 4CM Patalla/3CM Trochlea Carticel implant
Happiness!

Offline AGOERTZEN

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 02:28:19 AM »
I had a TTT a few years back. My OS at the time was not all that convincing but I was desperate and decided to go ahead with the surgery. Unfortunately after 6 weeks he told me it was unsucessfull and I would be in a wheelchair within the next 3 years.

Needless to say I found myself a NEW OS who had to undo the TTT and do a Rotational Osteotomy. Before the Osteotomy though he did a 'scope scrap and repaired some miniscus'...I felt like I could dance after that! Unfortunately though I still had to have the osteotomy in order to realign my knee...bottom line is that my TTT did not work. After having a lateral release many years ago I have come to believe that it is a short term solution for a long term problem. Everyone is different and don't be afraid to get a second opinion. If I had, I would have saved myself a very invasive surgery, heartache and pain.

Good luck!

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 04:38:45 AM »
Thanks for the information - I am wondering what is carticel?  I haven't heard of this.  The cartilage repair was for tears on the outside of the knee - I don't know/remember the medical technical terms.  This is actually the second OS that I have been to - the first one did not diagnose my patella problems even though it took only one x-ray to show they were both really pulled to the outside of my knee.  Are you saying that it is not normal for a lateral release to be done on its own for this type of problem and that will fix it?  I am just wondering because I am not having any problems with  my right knee since the lateral release.  I am hoping that my right knee will continue to be okay especially during the post-op time.

I will do some more research --- thanks.

giege.

Offline Chondrosoldier

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 04:28:04 PM »
Hi Geige,

Carticel  www.carticel.com is a complex ACI procedure mainly used for replacing very worn/torn spots of the trochlear groove and patella. They take a pencil eraser full of good cartilage, regrow it in a lab for a month and then "repair the pothole" of your damaged cartilage.  It is the superior option for patella pain and goes hand-in-hand with the TTT as the two can be done at the same time. 

It is extremely common for a lateral release on its own.  The results are very mixed; better for females then males.  However, while a rough surgery, a TTT fixes the biomechanics of your patella.  It is your better option then a lateral release alone when you are having significant patellar pain/chondromalacia.  Similarly, if your pain is minimal and a release is all it takes to tweak your biomechanics, there is no need to go through a TTT.

Your surgeon will not mention carticel/ACI as an option if he doesn't perform the procedure.  However, I would highly recommend that you see a surgeon who does and find out if you are a candidate for the surgery by going to the carticel website and entering your zipcode in the patient section.

Check out the carticel website and write back if can help out with anything else. Brant
1997 L Traumatic dislocation/ACL
1997-2001 L recurrent sbuluxation
2001 L TTT Realignment
2006 L Patellar Carticel biopsy/debridement
2006 L Carticel 4cm patellar reimplantation
2007 R Carticel biopsy/debridement
 Insurance Battle
2008 R TTT 4CM Patalla/3CM Trochlea Carticel implant
Happiness!

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 06:59:21 PM »
Hi Brant,  thanks for the information regarding Carticel.  I went to the website and plugged in my zip and my OS was the only one that came up.  That is kind of funny and a little confusing.  I have called his nurse and left a message on her voicemail and will just ask if I am a candidate for this.  I agree if this is something that I could benefit from in the long run I want it all done at the same time - I guess a part of me is wondering why my OS hasn't mentioned this???  Maybe my cartilage is not bad enough at this point?  Although his comment to me was that my body evidently did not make "good" colagen - that was the reasoning for having two tears in the same knee within two years - especially since I have not been real active because of the knee pain or in sports, etc.   I guess I'll find out when I hear back from the nurse.

Thanks again,
giege

brianne

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 07:26:01 PM »
Giege,

I noticed that you are facing a TTT.  I have recently had TTT's on both of my knees.  You can check out my TTT diaries in the the post-op section.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about this surgery.  You can e-mail me at [email protected]

The TTT can be very successful if done for the right reasons.  April 25th will be 6 months post-op on my right and 3 months post-op on my left.  Both knees feel better than ever.  Once I get my shoulder injury under control, I will be able to run again. 

Brianne

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 09:15:58 PM »
Brianne,

I have read the diaries section and found yours to be very informative.  I was sorry to hear that you are now having problems with your shoulder - I hope that will soon be resolved?  It must be very frustrating.  You seem to have a very good attitude and that will help.

I trust my OS and my PT.  I had therapy today and we have decided today to really step it up for the next few weeks until surgery to really build up my quad muscles.  After my surgery in Feb. for cartilage repair my quads were dead so I am really working on strengthening those before surgery on May 7th.  I know all of my work now can only help in the healing process later.

I have been trying to explain to my 5 year old boy that I am once again going to have surgery and will have a very sore leg for awhile.  I think he and I are growing a little weary of this. 

Anyway, I am very glad to have found this site - it has helped to prepare me and it has helped me to know what to ask the Dr.   Thanks so much for sharing your story with us Brianne - I hope to hear from you again.

Thanks.
Geige

support