Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Dr. #5  (Read 2576 times)

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Dr. #5
« on: April 10, 2007, 12:15:35 AM »
I swear, my doctors all sound like broken records... so this is my latest rant. Enjoy.

[rant]

Ok so today I had an appointment with Dr. #5 at his downtown office. So I go to work with my dad (who works downtown) and we get to the place at 9:00 because there is always more tedious "Have you had any of these..." paperwork. And my appointment is at 9:15... they finally call us at 10. Then they put us in the stereotypical rooms (and the wallpaper clashed horribly with the floor tiles-- fyi) and we wait some more. And some more. So finally a person walks in and he's like "Hi! I'm an intern!". So he does the normal thing that 3 of my past doctors have done where they move my leg around 4375834 gazillion times back and forth ("does this hurt? does this hurt?") and then he's like ok your real doctor wants you to get more film. Sooo, I get my x-rays done (all 6 of them x.x) and bc of my femurs being twisted and all, it really hurts to lie on my side on the table. So the technician does these x-rays on my side and then when she's done taking them she looks at them on the computer and she tells me that she mesed up the last set and that we need to do them again . Sooo we retake the pictures and I wait for my real doctor. He comes in, messes with my patella/femur some more. Dr. #5's diagnosis:

"You have extremely internally rotated femurs (me: OMG really?!?!?). What you need to do is develope your quad muscles to take the pressure off your patella. Surgery is out of the question. If you had noticed this while your bones were still developing we might do it. But you're too old."

Shoot me.
Someone please shoot me.
Those are the exact same words that my Dr. #1 told me.
I have already developed my quads.
I did it a whole summer.
I have some pretty hott quads.
And guess what?
I WORKED THEM MY WHOLE SUMMER AND THEN SOME AND COME LAST MARCHING SEASON IT DIDN'T HELP.
In fact- it got worse.
Jesus... you think these people would learn...
I'm stressing over my knees, which is making my hair fall out, and then more hair falls out because I'm stressing over my hair falling out.

[/rant]

So I will try to look at the sunny-side up and be happy in the fact that my May MRI got moved to next week. But that's about the only good thing. Which can [hopefully] lead to something being learned... but for right now it's easier to be bitter.

Many thanks for reading and allowing me to vent [and always hugs],
[the] Stick [to the] Shifty
7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
Re: Dr. #5
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 03:26:49 AM »
So sorry to hear you're having to deal with idiots...so...go do pilates....reformer...it'll work...!!!!

good luck

Hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

trainwreck

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 04:38:03 AM »
Is there anything that can strike fear in our hearts more than those dreaded words "Hi.  I am an intern."  I know they have to start somwhere but it will not be on my knees. Been there, done that and I won't do it again.  It makes me crazy when they give you a diagnosis that devastates us and then simply go on with their day. I searched long and hard for my OS.  A really good one is obviously an incredible doctor / surgeon yet also a human being who realizes we hurt and need help.  I refuse to settle for anything else.

I am so sorry to hear of your frustration and must use the dreaded cliche hang in there!!  I will be thinking of you and wishing you well.  I am sorry people can be such idiots. They should be made to live our life fully equipped with pain and frustration for a day.  It really  is amazing we aren't all bitter, nasty people.  It would be so easy to react that way.  I refuse to live my life that way but a day like you've had could easily push one that direction.

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 05:03:03 PM »
I so feel your frustration. I have been hearing strengthen your quads for over 2 years, and in the meantime have had 2 surgeries, and now facing the possibility of a TKR.  Sometimes I just want to scream. Hang in there. You are NOT alone!!!!

Donna
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 10:48:26 PM »
It really  is amazing we aren't all bitter, nasty people.  It would be so easy to react that way.  I refuse to live my life that way but a day like you've had could easily push one that direction.

I agree with you on how it's a miracle we aren't bitter and nasty people. God knows we have a fairly good excuse to be that way! There are someday, however, when I am not the person to be around. I told all my little mellophones that there would be days when they did not want to poke the bear because if they did-- they did not want to see how badly the bear would maul them. That's just the way the cookie crumbled because my personality definitely reflected the amount of pain. One sophomore was foolish enough to poke the bear on a particularly bad day. Never again will he ever try anything as stupid as what he did.

But I just want a solution to the pain. I guess when I learned after Dr. #3 that there really isn't one-- I just told myself to heck with the pain- I still want to live my life (and my walking buddy from 5th to 6th period can quote me on that). That's the reason why I gave marching season everything I had; it's why I tried to learn to snowboard (unsuccessfully but I might try again in a few years). I don't want my knees/pain to limit my life experiences. But knowing where to draw the line makes it so hard. Nobody wants to just sit out and watch all the things that they could have done.

May the horse be with you~
Stick..::..Shifty

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
hi, I understand what you are going through... I am in much the same boat with my chronic PF problems. I do have internally rotated femurs.. which my Mom DID notice when I was small, but the doctor kept telling her i'd be fine.  Sigh...
Maybe it's time to try a different physio.. seriously... this isn't just one of those empty thoughts.  I have had surgery on both my knees, which made very little difference. What finally did make a difference was finding a physiotherapist who was empathetic but just as stubborn as me, who refused to let me give up, even when I just had nothing left.  We strengthened my hip and buttock muscles as well as qauds and it did help. It hasn't cured me.. but my knees are more comfortable than they were before. Unfortunately at 26 years old, having lived with this for almost 18 years I know it's not going away completely... ever. But more comfortable is a good thing. It started with just one exercise, than two ... until I was doing about 45 minutes of exercises and walking everyday. It really did help... until I crashed my horse in May and tore my ACL!  But that's another story.
It might be time to seek out another PT or something. I find that they are far better at figuring this stuff out than alot of OS's because they see it constantly, rather than in one 5 minute office visit!

I hope you find some help soon, it is ever so frustrating to be told there is nothing that can be done. 

How old are you? What about seeing a pediatric orthopedic surgeon?

Linney
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 09:18:03 PM »
^ I turned 17 about a month ago. I bet there is some pediatric os around here, but I have never heard of one. I'm just trying to keep all my marbles until my MRI on Monday. They said it would be 90 minutes   :o . Time for me to start burning a really long CD playlist...

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 09:36:25 PM »
Hey there...I did ballet professionally for 10 years and have taught ballet for the last 17 years..I have femurs turning out, tibia turning in and ankels turning out, with a supenated heel bone on the right foot.and superhigh archesplus..hyperextended knees..!!..I have always had knee problems, but until I had an LR, my hips were fine(turns out I have slight hipdysplacia )...now almost 7 month past hip surgery I'm doing ok again...just started getting synvisc injection 2 weeks ago and right now that seams to be the magical drug...doing acupunture and pilates mat and reformer 2 times a week....NOW, when I was little I was told not to do any sports and especially not ballet...I started ballet at 16 and became a professional at 18, I have the "perfect ballet body" and was pushes very hard....all my docs agree, ballet hurt me, but also saved me....if I had been trained better, if I had been told what to watch out for...like knees over toes..always ,I would not have had as much damage...but..heinsight .!!!...Now I am 44 and as a dancer I am DONE.....I just have a a BUM knee..and right now that is all that is giving me grief..well besides an almost teenage son..so hang in there and try pilates...as for horseback riding...that really hurts....so I won't be doing that...but then again, it's not my life....ballet..well can't live without it.....and I'm watching my daugther carefully....making sure she gets the RIGHT training....

Good luck

Hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 09:55:55 PM »
Hi Stickshifty,

It really sounds like you're having a rough time, and it must be so frustrating to not be able to get the answers. At least you're having an MRI. On that note, I'd hate for you to spend a lot of time getting music together, but when I had my MRI, I wasn't allowed any metal at all in the room. You might want to just check on that before hitting the CD burner!

Take care,
Lozzie.
Aug '06 Right knee LR and chondroplasty
Feb '07 Left knee LR and chondroplasty

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 11:14:48 PM »
90 minutes.. YOIKEs... the longest MRI I ever had was 45 minutes...

Goodluck with that.. i'd need a break half way through for sure.

I would definatley try to check out a pediatric OS... check the closest childrens hospitals... because they deal with this structural stuff like twisted femurs and things more often.

GOodluck :)
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 12:34:32 AM »
Hi Stickshifty,

It really sounds like you're having a rough time, and it must be so frustrating to not be able to get the answers. At least you're having an MRI. On that note, I'd hate for you to spend a lot of time getting music together, but when I had my MRI, I wasn't allowed any metal at all in the room. You might want to just check on that before hitting the CD burner!

Take care,
Lozzie.

For my last MRI I gave them a CD and they put it in where they are and gave me special headphones. But I appreciate your concern  :)

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 01:14:52 AM »
Yes alot of MRI places have that option now... the last MRI I had just a few months ago I had that option but I opted for the radio because I couldn't decide what CD to bring.. lol
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 03:04:02 AM »
yeah right now I'm a little depressed because all the blank cds I have right now are only 80 minutes long...

New Questiom: If I'm getting my knees MRI-ed, can I wear long pants? I remember last time I went in the summer and I (naturally) wore shorts, but then I got freeeeeeezing cold while getting it done and I would like to avoid getting the "can you be still?" question from shivering.

Offline *Margaret

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 03:16:45 AM »
stickshifty,
you can wear long pants as long as there is no metal in them. hope it goes well.
"ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE" ~SPAMALOT

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 03:40:03 AM »
*wow*, where do you people live? I live in a developing country, and I thought all of my procedures were comparable with developed country, but there's a big difference in MRI facilities! I had to wear one of those fabulously stylish hospital gowns and not much else, and there was no mention of being able to drown out the horrible noises with music! They did give me a lovely blankie to cover myself with though.

good luck with it,
Lozzie.
Aug '06 Right knee LR and chondroplasty
Feb '07 Left knee LR and chondroplasty

support