Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: augh, lots of problems here, help  (Read 1002 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
augh, lots of problems here, help
« on: April 09, 2007, 04:54:43 AM »
I hope someone will at least read this and have something to encourage me!  Three years ago I had r knee surgery and that has been fine since then.  However a year and half ago I started walking and changed my diet to loose weight.  The excellent news is that I lost 80 lbs.  The horrid news is that my l knee is horrid and r isn't too far behind.

I started my walking program slowly and worked my way up to 75 - 90 minutes per day.  However in Dec with the holidays and weather I simply didn't walk as much or as long.  When I tried to go back walking in Jan my left knee / leg hurt.  I started off slowly but knew something wasn't correct.  The pain is on the outside below my knee, not really knee area, maybe 2 inches below and outside.  I gave in and went to doc who just said "live with it, if it hurts don't do long walks."  That really didn't work for me!  I'd rest it for several days then walk alittle and bigtime pain.  I went back to the doc whom I've always liked and thought listened to me and he said your 49 you have beginning arthritis, pretty bad chrondomilicia and chronic swelling your knees will hurt - take this anti pill .

I tried that and frankly if I don't walk long walks the pain is under control but my knee is controlling our lives.  I plan my errards around how much I'll have to walk and I don't think this is correct.  I am only 49 years old and weigh what I should weigh or within 10 pounds. Of course now walking I've gained 10 lbs which depresses me and the cycle goes on.  I even went to physical theraphy for a month to try to strengthen leg muscle so a muscle inbalance wouldn't be a problem.

I have gone to my ortho surgeon who has run a mutitude of tests on my left knee.  Here is what he's found out:  I've probably had a tibial stress fracture, the menis on the medial side is riped and a siginificant sized ganglian cyst on the outside area where the pain is.  How he proceded was to do the chrotsone/lidicane shot in the knee.  He then had me walk to see my pain level.  He was hoping it would be not there - he was wrong.  Which means there is trouble under the knee cap also.

Any idea's as to what I should do?  To fix the menis on the medial side isn't where my significant pain is.  The cyst surgery we didn't talk alot about - I just felt he thought that wasn't an issue.  The possible tibial fracture is healing or healed.  He changed medications and said to wear a knee sleeve.  That hasn't helped.  Sitting here to type is causing lots of pain.  Sitting and bending is the problem.  I'm just so flustrated with this -

Thanks for reading this and hopefully someone can point me in a direction.

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
Re: augh, lots of problems here, help
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 05:29:30 AM »
eaglemom,

First of all, congrats on the weight loss.  That is an incredible accomplishment and you've already done tons for your knee, even though it may not seem that way.  I'm so sorry you're having knee problems - welcome to a very friendly club of fellow knee pain sufferers!

I can't really tell you the best thing to do for your knee - that is ultimately up to you to decide (with the help of your doctor of course).  If you're at all apprehensive about the OS's suggestions, there's no harm in getting a second opinion.  The meniscus, in most cases, does not heal on its own so if it really is problematic, or becomes problematic in the future, surgery is really the only option here.  Check out other areas of the website for more info about meniscus tears.  As for the stress fracture & cyst, as that heals the pain should decrease and the cyst will probably reduce in size eventually.  I would be more concerned about the cause of the stress fracture & cyst - is it due to some tendonitis?  The region you mentioned sounds like it could be right around where your IT band attaches to the tibia.  Did either of your doctors say anything about that?  Maybe something to ask your doctor about.

Regardless of the direction you choose to go, I wish you the best of luck.  Let us know how things go.

Sarah
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: augh, lots of problems here, help
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 12:50:16 AM »
The weight loss is awesome and is probably one of the best things for your knees.  As for what to do... don't give up and don't accept the "live with it" response from your OS.  Sometimes it takes a 2nd and 3rd opinion to finally find that one OS that listens and will take the time to find the answers.   

I have had two cartilage repair surgeries and two lateral releases and am now scheduled for TTT.  I know how discouraging it gets - I am 38 years old and there are days that I feel 70.  I am looking forward to having this surgery and moving forward.

I hope you find your answers and are able to begin the healing process.  You are too young to have so much pain.  Good Luck.

Giege   

support