Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New Recruit  (Read 1121 times)

Offline BADLT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New Recruit
« on: April 09, 2007, 01:37:38 AM »
I am new to this site and to knee injuries. I tore my ACL in March 2007, while skiing in Aspen. I am having surgery April 11. Any words of wisdom that could help me with the pain, range of motion and regaining strength? I am a bit worried because I am an avid cyclist and am anxious to get back to cycling ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
BADLT

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
Re: New Recruit
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 02:13:37 AM »
My best advice is to follow the advice of your OS and your PT.  Don't try to rush the recovery - it will only lead to more problems later on.  Even if you feel like you're ready to take on the world, take a step back and think about the long term goals.  Ease back into your regular routine and try not to get too frustrated when you're not in the same shape you were in before your injury.  It has happened to all of us!

My guess is that it will be a while before you can really get on your bike, but you may just be able to put the bike on a trainer and do some low resistance stuff after a while.  For me, when I was allowed just to sit on my bike again it was heaven, and I was so excited when I could finally ride outside - it was a very slow, short ride (only ~ 12 miles) but it felt like a good, solid 40 mile ride.  I learned not to dwell on what I couldn't do, but to find the joy in each new thing I could do again.  (OK, it's not always that easy, but it sounds good...)

There's lots of great info on this site and on the board - take the down time you have to really get educated about your knee.  You'll learn loads more than you ever thought you'd even want to know!

Best of luck to you!  Keep us posted on your surgery and recovery.  There's tons of great support here.

Sarah

7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

Offline BADLT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 07:48:25 PM »
Thank you so much for the information and support. It feels good to have people that went through the same thing support the new comers.
 :)

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 12:43:30 AM »
I have crazy knees that I think involve my patella/femur whackiness I have going on (I'm not quite sure but I will not rant about here), so I don't know anything about ACLs, but if you need hugs I am here for ya (and everyone else for that matter because EVERYONE on this forum is my hero in the "can-you-help-feel-better-mentally" department).
7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

Offline BADLT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 02:20:14 AM »
Thanks for your support and HUGS!!!  ;)

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 02:54:12 AM »
Ton and TONS of Ice.  I would highly suggest you get a cryotherapy unit to use if your OS doesn't give you one.  He can write a prescription for one and you can get it from a durable supply (wheelchairs etc) company and your insurance shoudl cover it.  Even if it doesn't, it is the best money you can spend.

Don't get discouraged.  The recovery is long and PT is trying BUT when it is over you will be better than ever.  I could do absolutely everything without stablilty problems.  It was great.  Remember, it gets better.

Don't be the "tough MAN" and tough out the pain...take the meds the way they are wirtten.  He worte them to help you.
Take pain meds about 30 mins before PT and you will be able to do a better job.

Don't Rush IT.  DON'T RUSH IT   DON'T RUSH IT AND BE PATIENT
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 08:53:22 PM »
BADLT,

Just wanted to wish you luck for your surgery tomorrow!  Hope everything goes OK!!!  Let us know how the recovery is going when you have a moment.

Sarah

Offline BADLT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 02:01:25 AM »
Sarah
I am 3 weeks post op and I MADE IT!!!
I feel pretty good and I am getting range of motion quickly 120 degrees already.
I am also gaining strength quite rapidly. My PT is amazed at the come back.
I hope all is well with you. Let me know how you are doing, please.
regards,
badlt
ps I LOVE your dog!!

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 04:36:22 AM »
WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

Congrats on the progress so far!  The early part of recovery can be very encouraging because the progress is so fast each day.  (Though at some point the rate will slow down as you get stronger and stonger.)  Glad to hear the strength is coming back, I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will continue!

I'm doing fairly well, had a bit of a setback about a month or so ago, 7 months post-op I just did too much too fast I think.  Was back on crutches for a few weeks to give my bone some more time to heal (had an OATS last August).  Some days are good, some days the knee still hurts quite a bit, but I'm slowly starting to get back into some normal activities.  I haven't gotten on my bike in a long time, and I suspect it will still be a while, but I'm trying hard to be very very patient this time.

Yep, that's my dog Maile, she's such a cutie.  Do you have any pets? 

Best of luck for a continued fast recovery!!!
Sarah

Offline BADLT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 11:55:40 PM »
I hope you get better quick. Sometimes I feel as though i am doing too much too soon. I am afraid of getting hurt. Today I actually jogged on the treadmill at PT and felt the pain 5 minutes after I stopped. Too soon to run maybe. I gotta slow down. Well get better and stay in touch.
I do have a yellow lab named Hunter. He is 10 years old and is a male. I love dogs. :-)
Take care
badlt

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 12:15:34 AM »
Wow, jogging already?  That seems fast, but each person has different recoveries.  I haven't dealt with ACLs, so I don't know what the normal recovery is for that, but you also had a meniscus repair as well as a trim, right?  For repairs, most people are on crutches for 4-6 weeks typically, with varying amounts of weight bearing (usually up to 50%), to let the repair heal.  How long were you on?  Or am I wrong about the repair?  (Can't remember all the details.)

In any case, don't try to rush - as you discovered you often don't feel the pain while you're doing an activity but you do afterwards, when it's too late.  Have you discussed this with your PT?  It's great you're progressing as fast as you are but I'd hate to have anything else happen.  Hopefully I'm not being too pessimistic!   ;D

Dogs are the best - so are cats.  We have two of each and they run our life!
Sarah