Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anyone had this problem after a knee arthroscopy?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Beje

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Anyone had this problem after a knee arthroscopy?
« on: April 06, 2007, 07:39:31 PM »
I have what my OS and I thought was not too bad OA in my right knee (had PKR on left knee a couple years ago).  From the original MRI there was a medial meniscal tear and some chondral defect along with some other big words!  But nothing was horrible and we both felt arthroscopic surgery would do the trick (I call it roto rootering).  Had the surgery and according to the pictures everything went well and looked great.  Within a couple days I was having some pretty bad pain.  Chalked it up to not listening to anyone and doing too much.  After a month I called my OS and told him I thought I should have another MRI.  He was a little hesitant, but knows I know my body so agreed.  Turns out I am one of the rare people who have much worse stuff going on underneath the surface.  After the surgery a very large chunk of cartiledge sloughed off and I am now pretty much major bone on bone medially and somewhat on the front of the knee also.  So now I'm bone on bone - have chunks of stuff floating around - and have managed to bruise my shin bone about half way down my leg.  Here's the problem ------- my sister and I have been planning a trip to Ireland for a year now.  We are to go the end of June.  After seeing my OS we decided to try the Supartz shots....watch my activity...and maybe a couple days before my trip go for a massive cortisone shot.  Then after the trip in June go for a PKR.  Trouble is I'm now on my second shot and can put only a minimal amount of weight on my leg without feeling like someone is sticking a knife in my knee.  I'm thinking that this is being caused by the sloughed off stuff floating around in my knee and that the shots are not going to do a darn thing for that.    Has anyone else had this happen?  I don't want to pospone our trip for a year, but to go like this would be stupid.  My OS has not had this happen to anyone before and can't say if the shots will help this pain or not.  And if I go in for the PKR now - there's not enough time to recover before end of June.  I'd appreciate any feedback as I need to make some kind of decision soon.  Keep on with the shots even though I can't walk now and hope they work, or just say the heck with it - cancel my trip and get the PKR right away so I can quit feeling the knife.  Thanks..............

Offline blabramowitz

• Forum Faithful
Re: Anyone had this problem after a knee arthroscopy?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 09:30:53 PM »
Beje,
As one who is just in the planning stages of going to consult an OS about my torn meniscus (diagnosed by MRI prescribed by rheumatologist), your story is not what I want to hear!  Well, I am sorry you are having this trouble.  I wonder if an MRI immediately after the arthroscopic would have shown this problem developing, before it got any worse.  One thing I learn from you is, if I go for the surgery, make sure it is after my annual vacation, and don't plan any more vacations till I feel I am sufficiently recovered.  As far as your plans, only you know how bad you feel and can perhaps anticipate how this might affect your activities on a vacation/trip.  I have seen people in all kinds of shape when I've gone on vacations, so having a problem with your leg/legs doesn't necessarily have to stop you from going places and doing things, but you may want to consider putting off this trip to take care of yourself.  I am as interested as you in hearing what others have to say, and I am interested in what you decide, and I hope one way or another, it all works out for you.
-Barbara

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 10:02:26 PM »
I have had 4 debridements and I haven't had your problem. Pain did return after the debridement but it was a couple of years, not a couple of weeks.  I have always had art/deb on Friday and gone back to work on Monday.  I had synvisc injections in 04 and 05.  I must agree with my OS, if you are going to get relief it will happen after the 2nd injecton.  They worked for me and lasted about 9 months.  I was going to have another sereis in 06 but my knee just totally fell apart and I bit the bullet and went in for the TKA in Dec.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline tenabutter

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 06:48:53 AM »
Beje
It is my understanding from my 2nd OS, if there is not alot of cartalidge for the injections to affect and start repairing the damage, it isn't going to help. I did go through the 5 injections after my microfracture, my OS refused to do another MRI. A month after Supartz treatment, I started with new OS that did a scope to explore why my pain and found there is only a 2 by 2 area with cartalidge left. The only reason he did the scope was I basically told him the date I was available. My MRI's have never shown the degree of damage that I have.  They say you really can't tell how shots are going to help or not until you have atleast 3. Have you researched their website to see possible side effects? I lived with severe upper respritory infection for my 5 weeks and 2 additional when the meds finally started to help.  I understand the desire to get temporarily relieve with the least amount of surgery, that was why my option to go that route. I wish you the best and hope the shots will help you. You know your body better than anyone else and can tell if there is any improvement. Go with your gut instinct.
Good Luck and hopefully you will enjoy Ireland this year!!! If you must postpone, just remember that going with less pain will be more enjoyable.
Tena
3/17/2006 RK Microfracture
12/28/2006 RK Scope

Offline Beje

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 02:59:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.....After reading them and being on the same track - that if there's not much cartiledge there for the shots to help plus the floating pieces "catching" - I've decided to forgo the rest of the shots and just get to the PKR.  But I'm not canceling a thing (thankfully took out trip insurance) till I absolutely have to.  I know from the past that I do heal very quickly and will be more than faithful in my PT..........but you are right, if our trip has to be cancelled at least I'll be able to hike up a mountain next year and rent a bike to go touring!  Thanks for the input and encouragement.     
Beje

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 04:15:38 PM »
You might want to see if you can find out from some of the people that have had PKR how long recovery was.

I know that at 8 weeks after TKA I couldn't do a lot of walking but the pain was under control and minimal at that stage.  I understand PKR has a quicker recovery.  I am almost 4 months out of TKA and I have been back to work full time since 6 weeks.  I start my day with PT at 5:00am (at home) and end the day around 10:30 with second round of PT.  My OS agreed with me about PT.  I thought as long as my knee wasn't back to what he thought was full speed I was going to keep doing PT.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

support