Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Stitches are stuck!  (Read 890 times)

Offline AGOERTZEN

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Stitches are stuck!
« on: April 07, 2007, 03:51:02 PM »
I am three weeks post op HTO (my 3rd one) and when I went to my family Doc to have the stitches removed they are stuck. My stitches are subcutanious (sp?) and when she pulled on the end or tail sticking out each side of my 10" scar it wouldn't budge.

Eventually the stitch broke off and I'm left with about 8 inches of thread that run underneath over my kneecap. I'm concerned that because it has obviously healed in the incision, it will cause problems with my range of motion...when I bend my knee I can feel it pulling and if it tears inside then I will have a lot of scar tissue. I'm sure they will disolve eventually or work it's way out but what of the damage in the meantime.

My other HTOs were done with staples and in an effort to minimize even MORE scars he used stitches.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else experienced this?

Allison

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
Re: Stitches are stuck!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 01:22:31 AM »
I cannot believe they used stiches on you. The reason Dr.s switched to staples it that it has been proven to cause less scarring and problems. I've had a lot of surgery and never once have the Dr.s ever used stitches, accept for on the inside which are disolving stitches.  My concrern is that they may have to open the incision back up and replace the stitches with staples. I don't see how they will disolve if they are not the kind of stitches that disolve.

Offline AGOERTZEN

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 02:03:33 AM »
That is my concern too...I have a call in when they open up in the morning to discuss this very problem. IF they are disolvable they are not like any I've ever seen before. I've had staples before and yes...teh scar is worse but my knees are a mess and I really don't care at this point. If he does have to reopen it up I will definately make him put staples in that is for sure.
A

Offline AGOERTZEN

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 04:29:12 PM »
Called the OS office and when I explained what happend she became very silent. Oh my dear...they were not supposed to come out....as upset as I am I'm just happy that there are no problems in them staying in...

Apparently my discharge nurse will be held to task though...the OS office was VERY upset.

THanks for all your help and advice in the meantime!