Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Blood Rushes??  (Read 1427 times)

Offline priestess

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Blood Rushes??
« on: April 07, 2007, 01:20:29 PM »
I'm having surgery in the next month, TTT, and I've been reading everything here!! haha.  Just to get a grip on this surgery, and I keep reading about this blood rush, what is this??  Thanks in advance.  Tracy

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Blood Rushes??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 02:55:57 PM »
hello tracy!!
ooohhh the dreaded blood rushes!!
(at least you are aware of them before the surgery!!........
i only discovered this site at 2 weeks post op and was quite relived to discover they were actually normal and nothing to panic about!!)

basically after you have had the op and stand up after being laid down or sat down for a while you can feel the blood in your leg rushing to the op site area,the pressure builds around your knee and feels really heavy,it is not painful more uncomfortable and a strange sensation.
these pass after approx 2 weeks post op or so (well it was this long for me in my case!)

good luck with the op!
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline priestess

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 07:50:30 PM »
Thanks so much,  also a quick question.  would I have felt these blood rushes when I had my LR?  Because the only thing I remember is that full feeling in my knee, (might that have been it?). 

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 08:40:47 PM »
hi there!!
i have had a LR done but this was with x 2 other procedures at the same. i have had them pretty bad after this op.my first op was an arthroscepy and i never got them with that one,it was a pretty basic op though compared to this one and i was driving and walking fine about 6-8 days later.
the "blood rush" feeling does feel as though your knee is "full" i felt like i wanted to sit straight back down again as it felt to me as though my knee had an immense pressure building inside it and it as going to explode,as i said previously i never found it painful just uncomfortable and very unsettling, as i was never made aware i would get these before the op was done and was pretty alarmed by them! i thought i had a clot or something!! and was quite relived to come on this site and discover i was not alone!
i found if i was going to get up i would do it slowly and in smaller steps to make it less severe,i would put my leg on something lower then it first was,so if i was on the bed,i would put it on a box slightly lower then the bed,rest it there a short while, then put it on something lower still to work the leg down slowly,this way the drop from being high up to going lower down wasn't so drastic so the "rush" was not so bad.
hope this helps nd you don't get them!!
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 04:41:32 PM »
In addition to the blood rushes, you will later feel pain as the scar tissue separates from soft tissues.  The feeling can be just a quick pain, or the kind where you just want to cry.  In reality, it is a good sign - you want it to happen, but the first couple of times it is shocking.  I had some scar tissue adhering at the suture site from my first surgery that was removed during the hardware removal.  Good massaging once the incision site has closed up will help prevent scar tissue adhesion.

Good luck!
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

support