Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: HELP WITH ADVICE ON SYNVISC INJECTIONS?  (Read 4952 times)

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
HELP WITH ADVICE ON SYNVISC INJECTIONS?
« on: April 07, 2007, 03:27:03 AM »
HI EVERYONE,

IF ANYONE HAS TALKED TO ME BEFORE THEY KNOW MY CONDITION OF MY KNEE HAS BECOME EXTREMELY PAINFUL AGAIN AND THE SURGERY FAILED TO ELIMINATE THE ARTHRITIC PAIN (WHICH THE OS SUSPECTED WOULD HAPPEN) BUT AT LEAST I CAN BEND AND WALK NORMALLY WHEN DRUGGED UP ON PAIN MEDICATION WHEN I DO NOT HAVE THE FEELING OF THE SEVERE PAIN. I AM FINDING THAT TAKING SUSTAINED RELEASE TRAMAL, 100MG MORNING AND 100MG AT NIGHT, I AM NOW HAVING SLEEP AND IT IS NICE FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE NOT TO SUFFER PAIN, IT IS ALOT LESS THAN BEFORE.  BUT I CAN NOT KEEP ON WITH THEM I SUPPOSE, I DO TAKE A HIGH DOSE OF EPILIM FOR MY EPILEPSY.

SO WHAT THE OS WANTS TO DO IS GIVE ME THE SYNVISC INJECTIONS, OR IT WILL BE A PATELLAECTOMY OR A TKR WITH A NEW PATELLA.

I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW EVERYONE FOUND THEM. IT WOULD BE GREAT IF I HEARD FROM THOSE WHO HAVE HAD LUCK WITH IT AND THE ONES WHO HAVE HAD BAD EXPERIENCES AND NO LUCK.

THANKS FOR ANYONE THAT CAN GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.

HUGS WYN.
Lt TKR July 07
Lt thinning of patella,osteotomy, periosteal graft,
hole in patella,loss of cartilage Oct 06
Lt lateral patella release/chondroplasty Feb 06
Rt shoulder acromioplasty
Back injury,disc bulges,one degenerated
Hip bursitis
Cortisone lt knee,lt hip,rt sacrolliac joint,2 rt shoulder

Offline Sade77

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: HELP WITH ADVICE ON SYNVISC INJECTIONS?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 05:52:36 PM »
I know I might be in the minority, but what I was told by my OS is that 75% of folks are helped by Hyalgon injections.  Thankfully, I am one of the 75%.  I will get my fifth injection today and it has been almost a miracle for me.  I am pain-free for the first time in a very long time.  I had surgery to remove a great deal of torn miniscus tissue last June and my knee worsened over the months.  I started the shots four weeks ago.  I have an extremely sensitive PA who is associated with my OS's office who is doing this and he is great; numbing my knee first with a spray and then injecting the lidocaine.  He doesn't take the needle out but attaches the hyalgon right on to the needle in my knee, causing less bruising.  It is no worse than cortisone, truly.

75% is great odds.  It's expensive ($3500 for one knee) but my insurance (after a pre-cert) covered all but a $20 co-pay.  Would I do this again?  In a heartbeat.  I'm too young to be in that much pain! 

Sade'

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 10:16:46 AM »
Thanks Sade,

I was worried no one would reply, it is promising to hear your results so far.  Like you I just want that pain gone, I am strong enough and worked with moderate pain but not severe pain day in day out.  I am giving this a go, I do not want surgery again at the moment we are trying to hold off five years for more.  Fingers crossed and toes.  ;)

Hope you are keeping well, and I will let you know how I get on and you keep in touch so I know how you are.  At the moment slow release Tramadol has brought the pain threshhold down, but still that is not a good permanent thing to do and does not always help, if I do extra activity I have bad days following.

Take care

Hugs Wyn
Lt TKR July 07
Hip bursitis

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 03:30:29 PM »
Well here is the thing.  I am getting injections into my left knee and it hurts sometimes when the OS hits a nerve.Very painful. The rest of the day I seem to be very sore as well .   I just did shot number 3 on Thursday and pretty much what sade wrote happens .. They mark the spot. They freeze your knee ,, inject you with lidocaine,  They put in the chicken juice.   They put a bandaid on and you may have a little bleeding.   It is not a cure.  It is something they hope will take down your pain it only lasts like 6 months.  They may even give you a cortizone shot after the five shots have finished

On the flip side my right knee has been replaced in dec 2006 and before I had to have my knee replace I had the chicken juice injections into my right knee.  I had ice pick pains in that knee and the injections did take that constant trobbing pain away  but my joint was collapsed very badly on the medial side.

I would not push anyone into a TKR until they had enough!!!!!  but Here is the thing.. at what cost  do you wait.   Now my left knee has suffered from overcompensation.     It is a new life when you walk around with out pain from OA .  My right leg says yes..  my left leg says no..    I can walk without limping and stuff right now but it is still slow.

When your cartlidge  is gone its gone.  Unless you go for ACI or MACI or Oats---   You may even decide to  have some type of TTT or HTO  before a TKR ..

I am just four months from a TKR surgery and I simply can't do another surgery right now.  Infact my OS wanted me to do these injections in a surgery center he just opened up.  A very different setting than being in the office for me.

Another thing he had on his mind was bird flu.   Since these injections come from rooster comb.  So I am getting the synthetic bioengineered stuff.  This time.

At least with the TKR knee I know I will be able to do so much more with two steady knees than trying to baby one knee before I get the "balls" to do another surgery to sort me out.

But it really is a life changing operation for a tkR ..  I am pretty young but I have degenerative OA that is going out of control with bone spurs and slashing things up.

Offline hobbyfarmers

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 11:24:23 PM »
Over 6 years I had 3 different sets of the synvisc shots. The first two worked for as long as 2 years each. The last time I had the 3 shot set(1 shot per week for 3 weeks) the inside of the knee was bone on bone. The doctor did not want to give me them, but I insisted. The last time it gave me very little relief. It did stall me off on a partial knee until the Oxford unicompartmental was avaliable in the US. The surgeon that gave me the shots was excellent. All I felt was the 5 second pain it took to inject the synvisc.

Good luck It does work for a lot of people.

hobbyfarmers

Offline sterns

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 03:34:54 AM »
Aren't those injection fantastic !!!!!! 

I had to go through the torture this past summer and all I can say that it was 5 weeks of pure h-ll. I would not recommend the to anyone. The worst part (aside from the injection) is the doctor has the balls to say that it may last for about 26 weeks. That is fantastic. But, I had to endure the injections in both knees at the same time. I left the office  each looking like a 100yr old person who could barely walk. It was sad. I thought I was tough so the worst 2 times I sat in the chair while he stabbed my knees to numb them and them follow the circles around each knee to make sure the injection was not in the same area. By the 3 week a could not take it anymore, so I told layed down on the table and got as much garbage to numb me up before the injection. That did not matter, it still hurt and I could feel every little drop coming out. Probably at that point it was all in my head. Afterwards, I just closed my eyes for a few minutes before I had the strength to go home.

I would love to meet the one who invented the sort of torture and talk about pain management.......... forget it.

Oh yeah, in the end I had my 8th or 9th scoping on my knee and than 4-5 later I ended up having a TTT and some other things. I am too young (45) for TKR. I have not been able to walk, without pain for almost a year and am looking forward to the day when I can. My other issue is that this has all been one knee and still need to have surgery on the other. That is going to wait a while.

sterns
{RT TKR}  Rotating Platform Knee
{LFT K}  6 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   9 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   3 1st was arthroscopic, 2nd was TTT, 3rd screw removal
{LFT Shldr}   4 arthroscopic procedures & 1 slice and dice job
Lots o

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 03:57:38 AM »
Had worse happen to me.. .. I had  my TKR at 37 and am able to walk .. If I have to replace my left knee I would do it in a heart beat.

Offline sterns

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 04:00:52 AM »
knee deep,

I agree with you 100%. I wish I could have gone with the TKR. But I was not a candidate, but on a funnier note, it is something to look forward to in about 8-9 years !!!

:o  ;D  ::)

sterns  ;)
{RT TKR}  Rotating Platform Knee
{LFT K}  6 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   9 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   3 1st was arthroscopic, 2nd was TTT, 3rd screw removal
{LFT Shldr}   4 arthroscopic procedures & 1 slice and dice job
Lots o

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 04:31:18 AM »
YIKES!! :o Ive not had synivisc injections. And am thinking I dont want any from how you have described them, Sterns.  :-[ I hope and pray this OS doesnt tell me Im too young for a TKR. Im only 42, but lately feel 30 years older.....wow, Im getting nervous!

Donna
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 01:51:52 AM »
Thanks everyone for replying, it will be wonderful to been pain free, as I have had quite a lot of injuries of the years causing me long term pain and the knee I have been told there is no going back.  I feel some days I  just want to get rid of that patella so I do not have any pain anymore. But I want to walk properly, and it is very rare that I do, my walk is so slow and I amble most of the time.  With the help of pain relief I nearly have a proper walk (well I like to think so) but my husband does not reckon it is.

After all this pain, I am not worried how the injections will be, I just want things back to normal even though it is temporary.
I am 46 and my OS will not consider any form of replacements, it is a last resort.  But as someone said in another post, why not have replacement now and get around and enjoy life, when down the track you could have other health problems.

I will let everyone know what happens on Thursday when I see my OS, oh and knee deep I have already had the patella reconstructed to change it from compressing on my knee and the OS put periosteal on the back of the patella. But he did say the periosteal does not last usually and is known to break down.  My patello femoral form of arthritis is rare and is hard to treat the pain. Just a normal TKR may not help the pain issue as the patella itself is the main problem.

I guess just take one step at a time and see what the OS says.  Thank you for giving me faith in these injections, I am now looking forward to them. Pain free (fingers crossed) here I come!!!!!!!!!! Yeaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care,
Wyn
Lt TKR July 07
Hip bursitis

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 03:17:45 AM »
HI EVERYONE,

AS YOU ALL MIGHT KNOW IF YOU HAVE PICKED ME UP IN ONE MY OTHER POSTS, THE SYNVISC IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. MY OS RE- EVALUATED MY CONDITION AND I AM TOO SEVERE, HE FEELS IT WOULD BE A WASTE OF TIME AND I WOULD BE IN THAT PERCENTAGE IT MAY NOT GIVE ME RELIEF. HE SAID EVEN IF HE DID DO IT HE WOULD HAVE TO GIVE MY KNEE A CLEAN OUT AGAIN.

MY KNEE HAS DETERIORATED SINCE HE SAW ME A FEW WEEKS AGO, AND I HAVE BEEN RINGING HIS OFFICE IN PAIN.  SO HE SAID WHILE THE PATELLA IS IN A STATE IT CAN BE USED AND SAVED FOR A TKR, HE SAID I NEED TO HAVE IT DONE NOW, HE SAID MY PAIN IS TOO GREAT AND MY QUALITY OF LIFE (ACTIVITIES, WEIGHT GAIN, ETC ARE NOT GOOD). SO HIS OPINION WAS I SHOULD START ENJOYING IT AGAIN. YEAH!!!!!!!!! BELIEVE ME I CRIED BECAUSE I WAS IN SHOCK AND FELT SORRY FOR MY HUSBAND WHO HAS TO BORROW THE MONEY, BUT NOW I AM RELIEVED AND KNOW I WILL NOT KNOW MYSELF, IT WILL BE GREAT.  I AM CONFIDENT.  I WAS SHOCKED WHEN HE SAID THE PATELLA IS QUITE ALRIGHT  TO USE, BUT IT IS BETTER NOW THAN LATER. HE SAID REALLY IT COMES DOWN TO I CAN NOT KEEP BEING IN THAT TYPE OF PAIN.  I FEEL I AM LUCKY I HAD AN OS THAT TRIED TO DO IT WITHOUT NEEDING A TKR NOW, AND WARNED ME THERE WOULD BE A GREAT CHANCE THE PATELLA OSTEOTOMY WOULD NOT WORK, BUT WORTH AGO. WE WERE HOPING FOR IT TO GIVE ME A FEW YEARS , BUT I THINK IT REALLY GAVE ME A MONTH AFTER THE SURGERY HEALED.

9TH MAY I GO WITH THE HUBBY TO START ORGANISING, AND HERE WE GO AGAIN.

TAKE CARE EVERYONE
HUGS WYN
Lt TKR July 07
Hip bursitis

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 03:48:07 AM »
Wyn, Big hugs for you ..   Try and think of it as a new birthday.  The days and months before the operation are stressful. I am wishing you nothing but the best because I know you will be great.

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 12:37:34 PM »
THANKS KNEE DEEP FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND GUIDANCE. REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO WITH OUT THE SUPPORT.
TAKE CARE AND BIG HUGS FOR YOU TOO.

WYN
Lt TKR July 07
Hip bursitis

support