Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Sudden Knee Pain & I'm new  (Read 667 times)

Offline piscesara

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Sudden Knee Pain & I'm new
« on: April 06, 2007, 03:17:52 AM »
Hi.    I've been laying in bed for the past few days because of what I thought was a sprain to my LCL on my left side.   It started out as just being a little sore but I actually didn't think it was anything at first.  I tend to sit with that leg under me, and I was watching tv the other day, when I started to put my left leg under me in a rather fast, jerky movement,  and I felt something happen around my knee then.

Now I can't stand on my left leg without the outer side of it feeling a sharp pain.  What has me really perplexed is that my right leg is beginning to hurt in the same way, and I've just been laying in bed all day hoping my other knee will heal.  I've been icing it and keeping it elevated.

I've also been exercising recently.  I started out walking, but I developed plantar fasciitis, which tends to happen whenever I'm on my feet too long.  (I'm flat footed and overweight).  So, I switched to the exercise bike.  I also started trying some strength exercises.  I did some squats every couple of days for a few weeks.  Whenever I did them,  I could only really feel it working in my quads, so I wonder if this may be caused by my quads being stronger than my hamstrings.   I've been getting up a couple of times a day for a couple of minutes to go to the bathroom,  and when I do, I tend to put all of my weight on my right leg.

Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 03:38:44 AM by piscesara »

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Sudden Knee Pain & I'm new
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 02:58:18 PM »
Why not make an appointment to GP at first to see if there's something going on ?
Could be that you have done too much in too little time if you recently started doing both biking and a lot of squatting.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
Re: Sudden Knee Pain & I'm new
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 02:21:37 AM »
Definitely a good idea to go see a doctor.  There are lots of things that can be the cause of pain in your outer knee. 

I know that this isn't directly knee related, but I've also periodically suffered from plantar faciitis.  Have you tried the Strassburg Sock?  [http://www.thesock.com/]  It really works wonders - just wear it to bed and it allows your heal to heel in a stretched out position.  When my pain gets really bad I wear it for a couple nights and it makes the pain sooooo much better.  That doesn't solve the knee problem, but that would help with the walking once the knee does feel better.  Also, do you use any arch supports/orthotics?  Also, highly recommended.

Hope the knee is feeling a bit better - and I'd definitely talk to someone soon.

Sarah
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR