Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Torn meniscus--surgery?  (Read 921 times)

Offline beth1954

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Torn meniscus--surgery?
« on: April 06, 2007, 01:57:55 AM »
My OS thinks that I might have a torn meniscus.  I already have alot of arthritis in that knee, and I twisted it badly a couple of days ago.  I am going to have an MRI to be sure exactly what is wrong.
Is surgery the only way to fix a torn meniscus???
The older I get the better I was.

Offline beth1954

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Ignore this post
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 02:14:57 AM »
I posted the other night when I was high on Demerol.....forgot that I had done that.

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
Re: Torn meniscus--surgery?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 05:01:55 AM »
Ahh, it's amazing what pain killers can do to us!  I just replied to your other post, too.

With a torn meniscus, it depends on where your tear is, but in most cases surgery is really the best option.  Most of the meniscus does not have any blood supply so it will not heal once it is torn.  The torn piece will likely just continue to cause problems like catching and causing your knee to lock up.  It this case the best thing to do is to have the torn piece trimmed.  Luckily, the surgery and recovery is very quick, but obviously the long term effects are more of a concern and would probably lead to more problems with your arthritis.

If the tear is on the edge that does have blood supply, there is a chance it could heal on its own but I'm not sure how successful that would be.  If the conditions are right, they can do a repair instead of a meniscectomy.  This is good since you get to keep the meniscus, though it's a much longer recovery.

There I go again, babbling on and on, probalby way more information than you were looking for.  Hopefully it at least answered your question.  Check out the meniscus section for lots of great info!

And again, best of luck!  -Sarah
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

Offline beth1954

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 05:05:32 PM »
No, you weren't babbling!  I kind of thought the same thing that you said.  I had this same surgery on my right knee many years ago and the OS told me that it was pretty much the only or best option. 
The OS I'm going to now would like to try a little bit less agressive options right now (shot in the knee, etc) but I don't want to do that if I'm going to end up in surgery anyway......

THANKS!!!!   ;D

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 05:28:14 PM »
It's possible that a shot could help you out for a while and prolong the need some larger surgical procedure.  A cortisone shot could definitely help the swelling & pain, though there are limits on how many of those the knee can take.  Once the swelling goes down the pain should as well, and you could certainly put off any surgeries if your pain is manageable.  Also, the various types of lubrication injections could help for a bit as well, but I'm not too familiar with those.  (Check out some of the other posts for more info...many folks on the board have had the shots.)  It sounds like at some point surgery will be the best bet - and ultimately could improve your qualitiy of life.  Lots of options right now to consider - you doctor can give you much more information about the plusses and minuses of all of them.

Have fun in Dallas this weekend.  Don't push that leg too much.  Good that you got a wheelchair for the exhibit.

Sarah
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

support