Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OATS recovery  (Read 12719 times)

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
Re: OATS recovery
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 03:40:47 AM »
He said I should (eventually) be able to do anything except running or jumping, but that's more because I have so little meniscus and not so much from the OATS.  But I suspect that it will still be quite a while before I can really start pushing it again.  All I've really been doing since the surgery in August is my PT, some light cycling (though very little because it was really irritating my hamstrings), yoga, pilates, and just walking around and apparently that was too much for the bone to handle this soon after the surgery.  When you do get to have your surgery I would return to things very slowly...I thought I was going really slowly and it was still too much.  Now I'm just really nervous about doing anything...  Ahh, the joys of surgery!

Sarah
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 03:41:41 AM »
Sharon, I just looked at the original post in this thread again and remembered your surgery was two days ago.  How did it go?  I hope the recovery is going well!!!

Sarah

S_501

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 08:38:24 AM »
Sarah,
yep yep...it's so hard to try and make everything a bundle to predict general results. I'm reading that you had work done on your lat and med meniscus, plus the WB part of the condyle...that'd put you in danger for tibiofem arthritis I suppose later if you push it. So sad though, I mean it seems one wants to live life by doing the "right things" to get joy and we just get screwed instead....
I spent (and am now) almost 2 years on crutches since my initial injury in Nov 05 when my knee went from 100 to 0 in a week, then I did the arthroscopy and the MFract, then I recovered badly from the scope and the MFract, then I'm waiting for the allograft, etc etc. The prospect of at least one year OATS recovery including the 3-4 months crutch time (IF the allograft incorporates) seems like a stroll in the park. Ah well...

Saida

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 04:32:20 PM »
Saida,

All I can say is UGGGG!  I hope this surgery brings you relief!

Unfortunately, the arthritis is already taking hold in my knee, but I'm doing anything I can to slow it down as much as possible.  It was really hard to give up running and triathlons, but it's made me appreciate doing what I can do so much more.  The silver lining is always there...

Sarah

S_501

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 07:58:18 AM »
Yeah....UGGGG is right. Well, I'll post when I do the surgery.
It'd be nice to know how you'll turn out later on, best luck to you.

Saida

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 04:25:33 PM »
I'll keep you posted as thing progress.  I did push it a bit too much yesterday so I'm paying for it now.  Nothing too much, just had to do a little shopping which I guess was too much walking around.  I do feel like I've taken abotu 10 steps backward in the recovery, but hopefully this is just a minor setback in general.  I'm hoping this is just another little hump i have to get over.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Sarah

S_501

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 07:12:02 AM »
Got the call, oats surgery is tomorrow in SDiego.
After 7 and more months of wait I have this psichedelic mixed feelins that 1)I'm going on vacation 2)my life's moving on finally 3)happiness of the ignorant soul 4)plain freakin' out.

Saida

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2007, 12:05:34 AM »
Wooooooo hoooooooooooooooo!  That is awesome!  Congratulations on finally getting a date for the OATS!!!!!  I hope everything goes well for you!  Keep us updated on your progress!

Sharon, are you still with us?  Saida & I have hijacked your thread, but know we're thinking about you and hope you're doing well.

Sarah

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 05:23:13 AM »
Hi Sarah,

I'm still with you here.  It's been almost 7 weeks since my surgery (I posted about it on the surgery section of the board) and I'm doing okay.  I'm still in my brace locked when I'm walking, but unlocked otherwise and I'm still using crutches outside of my house.  I see my OS next week though and my PT said that she thinks my quad strength is good enough that he'll put me into a smaller brace.  My quads aren't great...I can only really do a SLR with my brace on, although I'm trying really hard to do one without the brace, it's just not happening quite yet.   I still have some pain in my knee but it's not as constant as it was before the surgery although I also have to consider that I haven't really gotten a chance to test it out yet as I can't really walk on it yet because of being in the brace.  There's also alot of soreness still just in the whole area of my kneecap, it's very sensitive and I can't really lay on my side or my stomach because it's just too sore to put that much pressure on my knee.  My other problem is with swelling.  Whenever I'm on my feet for more than 10-20 minutes my knee swells quite a bit.  I've never had this much swelling this far out after any of my other surgeries so I'm going to discuss this with my OS when I see him on Tuesday.  I don't know, maybe I just need to take an anti-inflammatory or something.  I've tried advil and alleve and that hasn't helped at all.  My ROM hasn't come back as fast as I'd like it to either.  I have a history of scar tissue problems, which is what brought me to the point of needing the OATS, so getting my knee to bend is a big deal.  My PT measured me today as being close to 90 and that was after I spent a good amount of time stretching myself and after she stretched me as well.  I'm not sure how my OS is going to feel about my ROM but I guess that's something I'll see about when I go to my appt.  So that's pretty much how things are.  Tonight the pain and swelling is really bad as I went to a NY Mets baseball game with my boyfriend tonight and it was alot of walking.  Thanks to my handicapped parking permit we got a parking spot really close to the entrance to the stadium but once we got in I stupidly walked around with him for a bit in the team store and stuff before going to our seats.  Tomorrow, well actually today as it's after midnight, is also my boyfriends birthday so we're going out both Friday and Saturday night with various friends.  Friday night won't be bad as we're going low key and going to a place where I know I can sit most of the time.  Saturday night...we're going to a bar.  My boyfriend is wonderful though and I know he'll do whatever he has to in order to make sure I have a place to sit.  I'm just a little afraid of being with all of those people (especially all of those drunk people) and getting bumped or something.  It's his birthday though and I don't want it to be ruined because of my knee...he's done so much for me in the past 7 weeks that he deserves this.  I promised my PT that I'd be careful and that's what I intend to do...it's just a little scary.  Anyway, I'll keep you updated and will let you know what my OS says when I see him next week.  Thanks for asking about me!

:)
Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline thehammah

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 04:39:06 AM »
I am new to this board and had my OATS on Jan 21 of this year. I had gone to Dr Bugbee but since I live in LA i was recommended to another dr locally.  De Bugbee did a lateral release on me but told me my pain was "an inigma"  lol.  I only waited 6 weeks so he cant possibly be first in line..

two week nwb does seem awfully short to me but then again my lesion was quite large on the lateral trochea/chondyle area..  I am now 13 weeks post op and still have a fair amount of pain mainly due to an incision that is not healing well.  hope you do better than me.

h

support