Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Advice please :)  (Read 868 times)

Offline joss_17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Advice please :)
« on: April 04, 2007, 02:29:46 PM »
Hello.. :) I feel slightly silly writing this as my knee problem isn't that serious but I wondered if someone could give me some advice...

Nearly 6 months ago now I fell over in town and smashed my knee of the edge of the pavement, hard. The next day my knee and most of my shin was bruised all down the right side and I found it hard to walk. However if I just sat down and straightened my knee, movement wasn't especially limited so I concluded any problems were maybe due to excessive bruising and I left it alone. I had trouble walking for a few days but the bruising subsided after a while and things improved.

Anyway, I thought things would sort themselves out but 6 months on it's still giving me grief. Kneeling on the exact point I hit the pavement still hurts a lot and if I haven't moved my knee in a while it can be quite sore and I have great trouble straightening it and I hobble around for a while.

I realise this isn't the most serious of problems having read some of the other posts but I wondered if I could have some advice... I don't want to waste the doctors time, and especially with the accident being so long ago, I just wanted to know what I should do and if there's much point going to see someone when the majority of the time I'm ok.

Thanks for reading. :)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Advice please :)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 02:36:32 PM »
My guess would be that you have some kind of cartilage damage.
I would definately seek medcial advice for this. 6 months is a pretty long time.
Even for a bone bruise you should feel better by now.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline joss_17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 02:50:22 PM »
Thankyou!
I trust your advice so I'll maybe I should go and see the doctor, but if it is cartilage damage, what can they do to help? I didn't think there was much you could do in that situation.. but then I'm quite naive when it comes to knees. I've been lucky not to have many problems over the years.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:57:38 PM »
Just a guess. Could also be degenerative tear and wear starting to act up after this. Depends on how old you are and how your knees are. Cartilage can never grow back but you can smooth the areas (debridement) and there are also other surgeries to make the areas be better.
The best to do though is seek medical advice first and not guess a diagnos.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline joss_17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 03:01:54 PM »
Yeah, I guess you're right. I'll head off to the doctors as soon as possible. I doubt or hope it not degenerative seeing as I'm only 18 but like you said, I shouldn't try and guess.  :) Anyway, thanks for your help. I thought I'd just be wasting people's time but maybe I should get it looked at after all.

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 05:04:05 AM »
I agree - definitely time to get it checked out.  Don't worry about wasting the doctor's time - that's what they're there for.  If there is something wrong with you knee, you don't want to risk it getting worse if left untreated.

If it is some cartilage degeneration, ther are many different options for treatment depending on the severity and location of the injury.  Once you get a proper diagnosis, you can then start thinking about your options.

Good luck!
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 12:46:16 PM »
Joss ~ at 18 you have a long way to go on those knees of yours. Holding off seeing a doctor now could mean more problems later. You'll not be wasting your doctor's time..make an appointment. Wishing you well..Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline ALRunner

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 02:58:25 PM »
Good luck! NEVER think you're wasting the doctor's time. They are there to serve your needs. If you have a problem you feel is causing problems--as this one is--see a doctor.

Ask questions. I rarely leave a doctor's office without wondering if I annoyed them from asking them too many questions, but so many physicians are so damn terse that the only way to get any idea as to what is going on is to hound them with questions. Ask what's going on in the knee, what the prognosis is, what you can do to make it better, do you need to go through further diagnostic steps, etc.

You should not leave the office until you feel confident in what they said and you have "next steps" in your head, be it physiotherapy, operation, or you're totally confident that rest will be the solution.

support