Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hurt knee BAD yesterday  (Read 883 times)

Offline beth1954

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hurt knee BAD yesterday
« on: April 04, 2007, 03:25:40 AM »
 :(  I've been having a hard time with arthritis in my left knee for quite some time now.  Finally got some Celebrex and had been on it for about 3 days and I noticed a "tiny" bit of improvement.  Yesterday I got the mail, and getting back into my car, I somehow twisted the knee and had a pain that I've never felt before.  I almost threw up from the pain .
I managed to drive the rest of the way home, but could not hardly move that entire leg.  If I tried to bend it at all I had the excrutiating pain.  When it happened, I could almost feel a kind of snap or something that went across my knee cap.  Can't explain it.  I went to the ER and they did x-rays.  The doc there said that nothing was broken, and that he thought it was probably torn or sprained/or something like that--ligaments. 

I am going to an Orthopedic Surgeon tomorrow.  Hopefully he can tell me what damage has been done.  I kept it elevated today with ice packs off and on.  It's a little better but I'm still in alot of pain.

anyone had this kind of thing happen?  What did it turn out to be??
The older I get the better I was.

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
Re: Hurt knee BAD yesterday
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:02:56 AM »
Beth,

This sounds suspiciously like a meniscus tear or some other cartilage damage.  Not being to move the knee could be a result of swelling or due to some catching/locking of the meniscus tear or a loose body.  Hopefully your OS will get an MRI, which should give you a better picture of what's going on.

Best of luck to you!  Keep icing and elevating that knee.  Let us know how it goes.
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 04:15:35 AM »
Beth...I twisted my knee over 2 years ago and felt, and still feel the same thing, even after a Lateral release. I, too, have arthritis. I am anxious to hear what your OS says. Please let me know.

DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline beth1954

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 02:13:48 AM »
I can't believe that my post sounded as good as it did.  I was really loaded up on the Demerol that the ER gave me.  At least I think that's when I posted that............anyway, I'm still in pain but not as much.

I have to just walk very carefully.  Any movement in the joint other than just bending my knee to sit, etc. hurts.  If I would stand, and keep both feet on the ground, but then turn my body to look at something...(does that make sense)--that would cause my knee to twist a bit, and it would be very bad news.  So I'm doing ok as long as I take it really slow.  I have to up and down stairs with basically one leg.  I go up with my good leg, and then bring my bad one up behind it and step on the same step, etc. etc.  Going down is the same thing.  I know that with one wrong move, I'd probably be rolling around on the ground in pain like I was on Monday.  I went to work today (I sit most of the day at a computer).....I did fine as long as I took everything slowly.  I also can't wait to get the MRI.  I want to know what happened.  I have NEVER had pain like that in my life.
Thanks for the concern.  (I had surgery on my right knee probably 15 years ago for a torn meniscus, and it has done really well.)  I really don't want surgery again though--if I can help it.

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 04:25:26 AM »
Beth,

I feel your pain!  When do you get your MRI?  There's nothing worse than waiting around for the tests...and then for the results.  All I can say is try to keep your mind occupied and try not to dwell on the knee.  In the meantime, keep off the knee as much as possible.  If you are really feeling unstable walking, I'd recommend using crutches if you have some.  It would probably help with the knee pain and give you a little extra support while walking.  And ice, ice, ice!!!  It really helps!  (I'm sitting here on my couch icing right now...)

Hang in there!  Let us know when you find out anything!

Sarah

Offline beth1954

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 05:10:16 PM »
 :)  Hi Sarah,

I don't have my MRI until Monday afternoon.  I'll be anxious to find out too.  My daughter and I are going to Dallas for an exhibit this weekend, and I already have a wheelchair on reserve just in case I need it.  Even before the knee twisting incident, my arthritis on the same knee was so bad I was having problems.  And on top of all that, I'm  VERY LARGE WOMAN, and walking around for a few hours would kill me.

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 05:01:54 AM »
How was your weekend in Dallas?  I hope you were able to enjoy yourself and that the pain wasn't too bad.

Have you gotten the results from the MRI yet? 

Sarah

support