Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New and strange pain  (Read 777 times)

Offline lbwilliams

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New and strange pain
« on: April 03, 2007, 03:10:58 PM »
After six surgeries, first being a lateral release and the last being reconstruction of that lateral release (july 06) I never thought I would have unfamiliar pain and sensations.  In the last three weeks or so I've had a weird burning sensation around my kneecap and where my scar is.  I have also woke up to the feeling that someone is pulling directly up on my kneecap.  Also, my foot on that leg will be ice cold and my other will be perfectly warm.  I've tried massaging thinking that maybe the muscles are tight and I'm not getting a good blood supply down to my foot.  I have a pretty good pain tolerance but this burning and pulling sensation is enough to wake me and keep me awake. I have no idea what to do about it as it is completely new to me.  I've been thinking about going back to dr to ask but I have no insurance and still paying off the last surgery from July.  Thanks!!!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: New and strange pain
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 09:02:38 PM »
Sounds like some kind of nervproblem, typical for nervpain is the burning sensation. Have you tried with ankle pumps to see if your foot get warmer ? Do you feel this only during the night ? Or all day around ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline lbwilliams

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 09:20:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  I feel it all day and night...just think I notice it more at night because I slow down :)  I will look into the ankle pump and see.  It doesn't really bother me that my foot is cold just an observation.  After I posted my original message my knee is acting up even more :(  I know I don't have full flexion or extension of it and it is popping again like before my last surgery.  I can tell when I need to pop it.  It's like if I took a step I wouldn't be able to put any weight on it or I'd go down.  I've figured out through the years that if I put my palms on either side of my knee and straighten it will pop and feel more normal.  Weird... it's just hard cause I thought it was doing a little better after surgery and now all this has started again along with new things. 

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 09:42:42 PM »
Have you been going to phys after surgery to strenghten your muscles enough ?
Or have you done the rehab yourself ? A good outcome from this surgery is done by a well done rehab after.
Did the pain just start or did you do something unusual ?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 09:44:20 PM by Nettan »
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline lbwilliams

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 10:00:42 PM »
I don't remember doing anything specific to make it start up again.  I have done I think years of therapy with all of the surgeries and in between.  Could probably get an honorary degree in knee PT :) I've also lost any extra weight I had and legs are stronger than they've ever been.  I don't know.  I've been looking at some of the posts about excess scar tissue building up.  I do have a bulge by where the incision site is.  Do you know if that would cause the nerve sensitivity too?  I really appreciate your replys...starting to feel crazy on an issue I thought I had a pretty good understanding of.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 07:26:48 AM »
Scar tissue can be built up around nerves and get them interefered and possibly make you have these weird feelings in your knee. Have you checked around under arthrofibrosis section ?
There you can read more abouth this condition and also maybe get more feed back. But this is only a guess. If you start to get worse very quick, if you have any possibilities try get an appointment with OS or at least a phys to get the knee evaluated.

Offline lbwilliams

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 02:58:28 PM »
I will look under that section.  Thanks so much for the replies!

support