Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella alignment please help  (Read 657 times)

Offline MentalKnees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella alignment please help
« on: April 02, 2007, 02:55:13 PM »
I've had lots of problems with my knees (mainly left) due to dislocating my patella twice and once on the right, after some extensive rehabilitation i am starting to get my confidence back and worked really hard trying to strengthen the muscles arond my knee's, over the past 3 months i have increased the weights ive been lifting and ever since my right patella feels out of line (too high)and even a little twisted!. It hurts going up stairs and down, and ive no idea what to do to bring it back down, i'm only 23 and hate to think what problems i'll have when im older!!

Offline ALRunner

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Patella alignment please help
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 02:01:21 PM »
What are you doing for weights? I'd be really careful with a lot of leg strengthening ones. the best I can think of is squats--one legged if you have the strength--but never go below a 90 degree bend. Go even higher if you like, but as you decrease the bend, the forces on the knee begin to massively increase.

In any case, take it easy until the stair pain has receded.

Offline MentalKnees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patella alignment please help
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 11:49:39 AM »
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, im just back from the easter break and saw your reply I had gradually been building up to a quad lift of around 95 kg, foolishley thinking this would work all the muscles round my knee equally, i just visited a friend over easter who is a physio and he told me to do one legged squats on a bord inclined at about 30 - 45 degrees and that this would isolate my VMO (i have no idea what that is) and help pull my patella back in line, i see this is very much along the lines of what you have advised so again thank you very much

scott

support