Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MRI Results "is all well"????  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Jules71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRI Results "is all well"????
« on: March 31, 2007, 11:05:36 AM »
Hi there

Just thought I would jot down my MRI results hoping that somebody may be able to decipher them for me.

Just a breif history,

Had slip twist accident in Nov 2006, had pain intially on inside of right knee,,medial,,, also from bottom of lower back curving around the hip angeling down to the inside of knee, which appeared to be muscle pain. Pain contined in knee, did pt for a couple of weeks, referred to os as could not bend or straighten leg. Os felt the need to operate the next day as felt was a possible meniscus tear, only foung chondral scuffing and debrided it. Pain still present as well as having knee cap pain since surgery late Dec 2006. i have had 2 shots of cortisone and ongoing pt.
Mri results as follows....

No discrete tear of either meniscus is demonstrated.

The cruciate and collateral ligaments appear intact and demonstrate normal signal characteristics. Popliteus tendon and iliotibial band image normally.

There is a tiny Bakers Cyst. No other periarticular cyst or bursal fluid collection is indentified. There is no evidence of significant marrow oedema. No osteochondral lession is identified with the limitation of MRI. There is preservation of the articular cartilage in all three compartments.

No internal derangement demonstrated.

I hope someone out there is able to enlighten me on these results.

Im am not seeing the os until middle of may..

Cheers
Jules
RK Chondral Debridement 21/12/2006
RK Cortisone Injection 11/01/2007
RK Cortisone Injection 2/03/2007
RK Cortisone Injection 16/5/2007

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: MRI Results "is all well"????
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 05:33:16 PM »
Hi Jules,
According to your MRI, it looks like your knee is in pretty good shape. I'm not a medical expert, but I think I can help you interpret this.

"No discrete tear of either meniscus" means that you haven't done any damage to the 2 menisci on either side of your knee. These are the cartilage cushions that keep your leg bones from rubbing together.

"The cruciate and collateral ligaments appear intact and demonstrate normal signal characteristics." This refers to the 4 major ligaments holding your upper and lower leg together, the ACL, PCL, MCL and LCL. Normal signal means that they look like they should on the MRI, so there are no tears or sprains in them. Same thing for the popliteal tendon and ITB, 2 major tendons located in the back of the knee and on the outside of the thigh, respectively.

The baker's cyst is a pocket of swelling that can appear at the back of the knee after trauma or as a result of other knee issues. It's pretty common, and might be a result of the accident. Small ones often resolve on their own.

"No other periarticular cyst or bursal fluid collection is identified." Bursae are small sacs of fluid that act as cushions at various locations in joints. There are several in the knee and they can become inflamed and thickened, causing bursitis. The MRI doesn't show any swelling in yours, nor is there any swelling in any other area inside the knee.

"There is no evidence of significant marrow oedema." I'm not quite sure about this one, but I know that oedema refers to some type of swelling, and I would guess that swelling in the bone marrow would indicate a bone bruise. Apparently they didn't find any evidence of that either.

An osteochondral lesion is a fancy name for a hole in the cartilage covering the ends of the leg bones (that's your articular cartilage). It is the result of a piece of bone with it's attached cartilage breaking off and can happen due to impact on the knee. The MRI didn't show evidence of that or of any other damage to the cartilage. When it talks about the three compartments, it is referring to the part of the knee on the inner thigh (the medial side), the part on the outer thigh (the lateral side) and the part in the middle where the kneecap meets the thigh bone (the patello-femoral compartment).

It's a really good MRI report. I don't know what would be causing the continued knee pain, though. You'll have to talk to your OS about that. Hope this was helpful.

Terre

RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline paulgrech

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 11:44:49 PM »
Hi,
The report could just have read "normal". Whether the scan was actually normal or not depends on the experience and ability of the radiologist-just because it is in black and white doesn't mean it's correct.
There are usually abnormalities to see soon after an arthroscopy such as thickening of the patella tendon  and changes in Hoffas pad due to the scope and these are not mentioned. The popliteal cyst is an outpouching of the lining of the knee (synovium) and is the result of a knee problem causing an effusion rather than the cause of the problem. If its small it's not relevant anyway.
Are you sure the correct knee was scanned? Only joking but the report doesn't mention the side.
www.uk-radiology.co.uk

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 05:14:49 AM »
Hello Dr. Grech,
I hope you and Jules don't mind if I ask a question of my own here. I noticed that you said there may be thickening of the patellar tendon after arthroscopy and I was wondering if that's why I developed patellar tendinitis after the surgeries on my right knee? I never had a problem with it before, but it's been plagueing me for the last year or so. Also, I'm curious to know what Hoffa's pad is and what its purpose is.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline Jules71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 02:13:43 PM »
Hi Dr Grech

I am currently under a new physio who is known as a knee guru, his excersises are totally different to those that I have been doing for the past 4 months. He said that he believes that there is an issue with my femoral chondyle, and has explained in depth what he believes the problem to be. He said that mri's can be wrong, and because my pain is in motion, and obviously mri's are still then it can be a problem hard to pick up. If in fact what you are saying is the case, then maybe my mri has been read wrong, or they have just not picked up on any other problems. My current pt would like be to be in a brace, he feels that after a couple of weeks of wearing the brace and it is taken off and there is still pain then he feels it may merrit another arthroscope, of course I would like to avoid this, but he also feels that this long after a debridement I should be alot better than what I am.

Cheers
Jules
RK Chondral Debridement 21/12/2006
RK Cortisone Injection 11/01/2007
RK Cortisone Injection 2/03/2007
RK Cortisone Injection 16/5/2007

support