Banner - Hide this banner

Poll

When is partial knee surgery done on young adults and for what conditions?

partial knee replacement
1 (100%)
ACL reconstruction
0 (0%)
chondroplasty
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: partial knee replacement surgery for people in their twenties  (Read 831 times)

Offline katydid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My name is Katy. I have had 5 knee surgeries; 2 ACL reconstructions and 3 scope surgeries. My doctor informed me after the last scope surgery that if that didn't work he'd have to do a partial knee replacement on my right knee. I am only 26 years old. My right knee was almost bone on bone, so he had to poke holes in my kneecap to form scar tissue. Mind you I also have a ruptured medial meniscus. I just recently had an ACL reconstruction. It's been almost 3 1/2 months since the operation. About 2 wks. ago I started experiencing stiffness, and pain that rotates from the posterior to the anterior portion of my right knee. Is that normal or is it something to worry about? I was wandering if anybody my age has had a partial knee replacement done and how they are doing.

Offline Sandy_F

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Re: partial knee replacement surgery for people in their twenties
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:31:35 PM »
Before I had any replacement surgery I would suggest getting a second opinion.  There are many options out there that can be tried before partial replacements are done.  I have no idea if you are a canidate for them but it would not hurt to explore all avenues before making such a decision.
Right knee - 14 surgeries including a fulkerson, patellectomy and finally a TKR.  Left knee - Lateral release, microfracture, TKR, then another LR, spacer replacement.

Offline ALRunner

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: partial knee replacement surgery for people in their twenties
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 02:00:12 PM »
Before I had any replacement surgery I would suggest getting a second opinion.  There are many options out there that can be tried before partial replacements are done.  I have no idea if you are a canidate for them but it would not hurt to explore all avenues before making such a decision.
Agreed.

In regards to people your age, it's definitely not common, but it has happened. I can't advise at all on the results, though. I imagine they'd be ok but of course the joint will wear out in time. There is optimism to be found in the high speed of progression in orthopaedics; what is not possible now may be in 5-10 years. Although a knee replacement would be a death sentence on, say, marathon running now, perhaps in 20 years it would not be.

In regards to when they will be done, they are a last resort and will depend on your pain and lifestyle. if you're in too much pain or cannot use your knee at all, regardless of the cause you'd be a candidate, I should think.

support