Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Need your success stories  (Read 4682 times)

Iona_-Uk

Need your success stories
« on: June 30, 2003, 03:14:41 PM »
Hey guys
We need to hear more of your success stories, I for one love to hear about peoples success though PT or surgery, do you know a knee geek wh has left after they had a successful recovery, why not ask them to post here.

With all the doom and gloom knee troubles give us, we need brightening up.

Iona

Offline ergomaniac

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • RehabMatters
Re: Need your success stories
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 11:03:02 PM »
Seconded and thirded!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Ergo ;)

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 08:42:45 AM »
Come on folks, if you know a kneegeek whose left because they had a successful knee surgery/rehab, let them know we need their stories as inspiration and motivation!

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2003, 10:32:35 PM »
I'm still here... I can't seem to get off the board :P

Sometimes I disagree (well I have another opinion let's say) but I want to help you guys. My surgery has been succesfull and I wish everyone's was or will be!
I just can't stop nursing ::)... H xxx
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 07:50:43 AM »
Helena
You are a star and I am glad that your surgery was a success, it's always good to have a different view from someone who has had a different experience to your own.

Take care and stick around, we need you to nurse us old crocks!
Iona

Offline Heavy_Harry

• Regular Poster
  • When I stuff a knee up, I sometimes stuff it good
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 01:36:48 AM »
Hello

although I rely on braces to keep my knee from popping out, I find my new brace is a "success" as it fit niceky and has elimated those madding itchs I used to get!!! As it took a fair while to find the correct brace to suit me and my oddly shapped knee to top ot off. This brace is very light and support it well, as my knee's always get tempermental when I "remove" the brace. But when wearing it I walk like gem.

I seem to have avoided having operations for now that is, on those busted up legs of on mine so far. [I won't tempt Murphy with that!] But I gotta be careful with it, once it pops out it's then prone to pop out again.

Offline teach4

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • ROLL TIDE!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 04:00:07 PM »
I had a right TKR 13 months ago at age 48.  My knee cap kept popping out without provocation or warning.  I tried a brace and PT prior to surgery.  Now I can definitely say the surgery was the right thing for me to do.  I walk anywhere I want now, without fear of my knee giving way.  The only pain I have is walking down stairs, but it is definitely manageable and doesn't compare to the pain of dislocation.  I would definitely recommend this procedure for a problem like mine.

teach 4

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 03:36:46 AM »
I am now 7 month post microfracture surgery and everything is still going GREAT!!  My knee is giving me no trouble at all.  I went for a followup on my blood clot and my doctor says I'm in the clear.  I am going to the gym five days a week.  On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I swim, go in the whirlpool spa and use the sauna.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays I work out with the weights and the stationary bike.  I've got a great upper body work out going on which should come in handy should I find myself back on crutches again at any point.   I've gone from 190lbs down to 175lbs and am still working on hitting a goal of 150lbs.  I quit smoking and am feeling better then I have in a very long time.  The best part is that I've been bugging my husband to give me 1st floor laundry since we bought our house 9 years ago.  Then, when I had my surgery he had to do the laundry and drag it up and down the stairs and it didn't take him long after that to give me that 1st floor laundry I had been asking him for....hahahahaha

Teresa
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 03:38:25 AM by kittent1211 »

Offline ChristinaWillemina

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Stupid Knee. Why did God give us knees anyways?!?
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 05:59:44 AM »
Hello everyone! My story is a good one. I'm 22 years old. when I was about 6 my mum notised that I was sitting on the couch, and my  knee locked, only for a minute but it locked, and did about 15 to 20 more times throughout my life. Now, I went to the hospital and my family doc numerous times when I locked my knee, cause it was painful and annoying. and The doc always had some stupid reason, "just bumped your knee" or something along those lines. Well I locked my knee in July of this year, and had to get a sick note for work so I went to a walk-in clinic, and he told me something about a 'meniscus' and ordeered me an MRI. So I had to wait about a month for the MRI, then 3 more months before I could see the OS. (remember that I'm limping due to a locked knee) once I saw him he read my MRI results and told me I had a HUGE displaced bucket-handle tear and he wanted to do emergency surgery...now didn't that scare me. so I waited about a week and a half for my surgery, and it seemed everything went off perfectly. no weird side effects after surgery or anything. I'm now 12 days post-op (Partial lateral meniscectomy 80%+ removal) and feeling great. I'm walking almost completly normal, and am experiencing almost no pain. I'm doing all of my stretches everyday religously and I am feeling great. I'm about 80% 12 days post-op, which is great to say the least, I have my first post-op appointment with the os in 3 days, so I'll come back on and let everyone know what the doc says, hoep this has given someone hope for their own success story!!

Christina
[email protected]
Bucket-Handle Tear of the Lateral Meniscus. (injured in childhood, doc didn't do anything)
Arthroscopic Lateral Meniscectomy 11/23/2005.
22 Years Old.

Offline murf

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 07:02:04 PM »
Hi
Had Acl replaced in my left Knee in 1994 with carbon fiber. I have had no problems with it. I returned to play rugby after twelve months. I trained hard. the only problem i had was first couple months post op. the physio did not bend my knee enough. she only used heat and ultra sound which did nothing for me. later i went to see the smallest indian women and she bent my knee so much. it gave me back full extension and i only got about 95% bend back. i dont know if that was from the carbon fiber or the post opp physio. i am now due to go and have my right knee acl replaced with a hamstring graft on the 31st may. so i will keep you posted on how i get on. i am definately going to make sure the physio knows what they are doing.
keep you posted
Murf
acl recon left knee carbon fiber 1994
acl recon right knee hamstring graft 31/05/2006

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 05:41:18 AM »
Iona,

I am now 6 1/2 years post-op from my Fulkerson TTT and lateral release ( surgery was 11/30/99) and I still have NO KNEE PAIN!!!! My knee is stable and strong with no cracking, popping or giving way. I am thankfull that after all this time that my knee still feels great!!!

Take Care!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01