Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Need YOUR answers about OS and patient knowledge  (Read 1857 times)

Offline 2ndmate

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Need YOUR answers about OS and patient knowledge
« on: March 26, 2007, 08:59:49 PM »
Hi everyone.  Here's a new question.

In everyone's experience, do surgeon's appreciate their patients being overly educated about their surgery?

In other words - will my OS like or dislike when I start asking him which type of TTT I'm getting, his recovery "protocol', opening or closing wedge osteotomy, icing machines, NWB, PWB, PT schedule, plaster or immobilizer,  - all the stuff I've learned about thru this website.

My OS has always been good about answering my questions, but I've never had soooo many as I do now.   Arthoscopic surgery was pretty straightforward.   Now with either a TTT or HTO looming, I want to ask a TON of questions when I go in for my pre-surgery appointment.   However, I don't want to piss the guy off either.

What has been YOUR experience.  Thanks in advance.

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Need YOUR answers about OS and patient knowledge
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 09:17:44 PM »
hi there!!
personally i wish i'd discovered this site before my op!
i found it about 2 weeks after and think i would have been better "clued up" if i'd found it beforehand.
when i had my pre-op appointment with the nurse and when i spoke to my OS on the day of the op i knew a little about the op itself,but not the technical name etc ,i knew what he was going to do to my knee (in terms i could understand) and roughly what it would be like afterwards as regards pain etc but definatley think i would have asked him more questions if i knew this site existed before the op!
after i found this site and got more info from people who had had the same or similar procedures i asked the OS alot more questions at my six week check.
i think knowledge is good as it helps to understand what you are going to go through after the op.
for example i had no idea i would get blood rushes etc! they are pretty scary when no one has warned you you are going to get them!
any concerns/questions you have i would write them down as a list and take it with you when you go,it helps to remember them so you get the answers you need beforehand.
i do not think the OS would mind you asking him questions at all (mine never did at the six week check) i imagine they get interogated by some patients!!
after all it is your knee and your health and you have a right to ask questions about what they are going to do to you.
if twenty people were to have the same op as you i imagine they would get completley different answers to your questions as OS's all have different protocols for recovery,etc.
at least you have discovered the site now the people on here are great and very supportive and helpful!
welcome aboad!!
take care and good luck!
claire.
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening