Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Question Regarding Soccer Related Knee Injury  (Read 703 times)

Offline markp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Question Regarding Soccer Related Knee Injury
« on: March 26, 2007, 01:39:04 PM »
Hello,

About 8 weeks ago I hyperextended my right knee playing soccer (football). It was near the end of the game, I walked off fine but was hurting a bit. I had some trouble straightening it out all the way and the underside of my knee was sore and swollen for a week or 2. It is still a bit swollen and sore. All in all I could function.

I had a few weeks off of soccer during that time and have now continued playing but my symptoms are below and I am concerned how it has affected my level of play.

1) "pinching" on the underside of my knee when straightened out or pulling leg back to buttocks.
2) no major pain, but some discomfort. The best way to describe it is it "just doesn't feel right"
3) weakness and lack of strength in my knee. This is my biggest issue!  I feel my leg is more of a pendulum with no control when I go to strike the ball and feel like I have lost any sort of confidence or control in my kick or trying to control the ball with my right foot.

I can however cut, run, plant feet and move fine playing the game.

I have an appt to see an ortho, but was curious if anyone was familiar with the pinching and weakness in the knee, yet still able to play without any real pain.  I have probably played in 4 games since the injury.

Any thoughts?  My primary Dr. thinks it may have something to do with the meniscus or just a bad pulling of tendons etc.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 01:43:13 PM by markp »

Offline knee pain

• Forum Faithful
  • I love my 2 dogs and I miss my Dad! Rip Dad!
Re: Question Regarding Soccer Related Knee Injury
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 02:23:42 AM »
My knee feels just about like yours! I hurt mine outside while walking back inside my house but was still outside and my dogs were behind me and pushed me down and I fell and hit my knne and I felt my knee twist.

I can walk on it but without the knee brace on my knee feels just stiff like a im pulling a rubberband but its a tight one. and mine hurts walking on it too but i can manage the pain sometimes but my leg is also sore above it and sort of below it. I too used to Play soccer but its been awhile but have always wanted just to play a game of it for the fun of it.  I would ride a bike but Ya need knees for  that and I can't peddle with just one.
Still can't bend my knee the fulll way but I wish i could.
knee pain started March 8,07 when i fell and my knee twisted.

still haven't gone to an Orthopedic surgeon! But I hurt my knee again on 12/4/08.

Im 25 and have injured my knee twice now!

RIP Dad! I miss you-I lost my Dad in May(2008)

Offline ALRunner

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 02:52:39 PM »
My guess would be meniscus, since that's a common injury in soccer, but hopefully an orthopaedic physician can tell for sure.

If it is meniscus, prognosis can vary wildly from person to person, but if you're still pretty active I'd say you may get off fairly well, although if it IS meniscus and that is removed, stability in the knee will be compromised, which may encourage you to adopt less activities that involve cutting (soccer, tennis, etc.).

Offline markp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 01:49:43 AM »
Well I found out last week that it is not anything serious at this point.  I am heading for (6) physical therapy sessions starting tomorrow.   They did an xray and exam and my Dr. thought it might be a bad strain in the hamstring heading up into the knee.  If it continues the same after my sessions, then I am going back for MRI.

I played last Sunday and it does feel a bit better especially after a few weeks on the anti-inflamatory.  Still not right, but better.