Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Does Post ACL patella tendonitis ever go away ?  (Read 2341 times)

Offline MR. C

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Does Post ACL patella tendonitis ever go away ?
« on: May 05, 2011, 12:07:11 AM »
 Hello- I had a patellar ACL graft done in January 2006 on my right knee. The surgery went well as did the rehab. I put 4 inches on muscle  on to my thighs,going from
21 inches to 25 inches. Just had Xrays and a yearly exam from my ortho and everything looks good-

My question is even 5 years later I get a lot of pain in the front of my knee and behind the knee cap especially after working out or sitting for long periods. When I asked my ortho he said I have a small amout of
arthritis behind the kneecap but sometimes the patella pain never goes away. I can still workout and run-the pain usually subsides in a day and responds well to ibuprofen
and ice so I guess not to worry.

Also ever since the surgery my knee makes a lot of cracking and popping noises-they don't hurt but is this normal ?

Thanks in advance-- Mr. C
ACL patellar graft ,lateral meniscecomy rt knee 2006-medial meniscectomy rt knee 2005- rt knee meniscectomy 1995,1994-left knee meniscectomy 1991,1992 -MCL repair left knee 1980.

Offline benhannan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • 2x SUCCESSFUL ACL Reconstructions - 8 years apart
    • ACL Reconstruction Guide - ACL Surgery Recovery
Re: Does Post ACL patella tendonitis ever go away ?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 05:58:41 AM »
I have had two ACL reconstructions (ie. both legs) that resulted from playing soccer, 8 years apart and successfully returned to competitive football (soccer) each time.

I had the same thing for a number of weeks after ACL surgery. I couldn’t walk very far without experiencing pain and swelling. People often get knee cap issues post ACL surgery and this interferes with the motion in your knee joint after a reconstruction. You may find that your Physio needs to give some attention to your knee cap (loosening, massaging) to help it “move in its groove” properly. There are ways you can do this yourself reguarly too which will ease the discomfort. I was able to eventually get rid of the pain from walking (though running was another story). The other thing you can do is make sure you’ve done your bending and straightening exercises to ensure your knee has its full normal range back as quickly as possible.

All the best
Ben
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:19:23 AM by The KNEEguru »
Had two ACL Reconstructions - 8 years apart - with a full return to competitive soccer each time.

support