Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: calling all footballers and kneegeeks  (Read 818 times)

Offline gem11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
calling all footballers and kneegeeks
« on: March 24, 2007, 03:01:33 PM »
Hi am new to the site but not new to knee trouble unfortuantely! was just looking for a little advice really. I am a 23year old female football player. 6 years ago I ruptured my ACL, MCL and tore medial meniscus. Usual story...A and E said it was a sprain which would heal in 6weeks, so rested up and attempted to play football after 6weeks. Suffered a giving way and 3 subsequent giving way episodes until I got the ACL diagnosis about 6 or 7 months later. I underwent arthroscopy and 6 months later an ACL reconstruction using hamstring tendon. This operation was in March 2003. Rehab went very well and I returned to competitive football around 12months after surgery. So, have been playing with no real problems (a few wobbly moments but they are to be expected) for 3 years...until now! 2 weeks ago I went to kick the ball away and another player put her foot behind the ball and blocked tackled just as I kicked it. I contacted with the inside of my foot but it was like kicking a brick wall and the force travelled up the inside of my knee and I got intense pain on the inside of the knee. I left the field and whilst there was no swelling immediately I could barely put any weight on the leg as every time I did I got a sharp stabbing pain on the inside of the knee and just below the knee. I saw a physio and an OS and both said that the graft still felt tight and i was diagnosed with Grade 1 MCL, bone bruising and possible medial meniscus bruising. The physio had suspected meniscus tear but the OS was doubtful as no weight was bearing on the leg at the time of injury. Has anyone heard of meniscus tear whilst no weight is on the leg and as a result of trauma rather than twisting? I am now walking with one crutch but still have swelling and limited mobility. I cannot fully extend the knee and flexion is around 100deg. My quadriceps have wasted considerably and I am struggling to regain quad control. I have experienced quite a bit of popping on the medial side of the knee if my foot gets turned out laterally. Also real feeling of stifness and discomfort in the knee and still pain on medial side of kneecap when walking. was just wondering If any of this sounds familiar, as am becoming concerned that more damage has occured?! Any football or soccer players out there seen or had any similar injuries where a block tackle has caused knee damage? Was initially pleased to hear that cruciate still felt ok but after such slow recovery and progress so far and swelling, lack of extension, stiffness and pain I am concerned that the graft may be damaged but was missed. Very long-winded I know but am worried and confused and would love to hear any thoughts or experiences.

BTW If knee has not settled in another week then i am going for an MRI so I will have a confirmed diagnosis but in the meantime am keen to hear any thoughts.
Halloween '01 - Unhappy triad L knee
August '02 - Arthroscopy partial menisectomy L knee
March '03 - L ACL reconstruction using hamstring graft
March '04 - Return to competitive football
March '07 - Grade1 MCL, subluxed torn medial meniscus L knee
May '07 - Arthroscopy partial menisectomy L knee

Offline volley9182

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: calling all footballers and kneegeeks
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 08:09:51 PM »
I tore my meniscus without any weight on my knee.. I was diving on the diving board, and ended up hitting the diving board with my bad knee. So it is possible to tear your meniscus without weight on it. When i first went to the OS, he didn't think that I did anything to it because I didn't have any weight on it, and it was untypical as to how many people tear their meniscus... But after waiting 4 weeks and going back they decided to do an MRI and then got the results from that and then they did a cortizone injection with no relief, so then they wanted to do a scope...

Just thought I would put my 2 cents in....

Kelly
2000- LR on Left knee
2001- TTT
2002- Hardware removal
Feb 9, 2007- scope with lateral meniscus tear and popliteal cyst

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: calling all footballers and kneegeeks
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 11:15:26 AM »
maybe it's time for a second opinion.  seeing as your knee has already had quite  a tramatic experience in hte past I think it would not be out of hte question that you may have torn your meniscus.  It may not be the common vehicle of injury but it doesn't mean it's not possible.  With knees, anything is possible... ::) Some people tear their ACL just squating down ... some people like me fall off a horse jumping a 3x3 fence and get hung upside down from the stirrup and only partially tear their ACL.. so I think if you have medial joint line pain, swelling and popping, i'd seek a second opinion.

Hopefully you get some answers soon... missing out on your sport sucks.

Linney
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

support