Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee arthritis - use glucosamine, chondroitin etc  (Read 42491 times)

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 106
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Knee arthritis - use glucosamine, chondroitin etc
« on: July 15, 2002, 12:29:37 AM »
Two links I have been waiting to post to you:

1. Nonoperative management of osteoarthritis of the knee:
http://www.physsportsmed.com/asr/knee/marshall.htm

2. Case reports on the use of viscosupplementation
[KNEEguru - "the kind of joint stuff they inject into the knee joint"]
http://www.physsportsmed.com/asr/knee/cases.htm
« Last Edit: September 19, 2002, 12:13:30 PM by admin »
--
KNEEguru

Offline sojourner

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin etc
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2002, 05:42:28 AM »
At this point I guess I will still take the glucosamine and chondroitin since it looks as though it could help and will only damage my wallet.  Nothing else seems to offer much help at this point.  
Sojourner.  :-/

Offline Tabu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Just a happy little devil
Re: Glucosamine, chondroitin etc
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2002, 10:22:05 AM »
I noticed a huge difference in my knee pain when
I started taking glucosamine Sulfate and MSM. I take 2000 mg of the Glucosamine and 3000mg of the MSM.  Like you say it can't hurt but you do have to take enough of it, I found that the lower doses didn't seem to do any good. Perhaps my joints are using it as fast as I'm putting it in?
And one really great thing that has happened since I started taking it-my hair is fantastic-healthy shiney and thick for the first time in my life. ;D
Dislocation Injury on 9/93, didn't go to Dr to have it checked. Fially couldn't walk on 1/02 went in and x rays reveled lhave artritis, later found bone chip. removed & clean up & lateral release 7/02

Offline denipink

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Nosey Knee Person
Re: Knee arthritis - use glucosamine, chondroitin
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2002, 04:16:29 PM »
Another remarkable remedy for our OA, knee and everywhere else can be found at:

www.moducare.com.

builds up the immune system.  i have been on it for 3 months now and it is a good thing too cause i have been so sick otherwise i should be dead.

Denise :) ;D :-*
« Last Edit: June 30, 2003, 04:20:32 PM by denipink »

Offline Retrobeast

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
    • Save Your Joints
My Dad is feeling Great with this stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2003, 01:29:32 AM »
I am always skeptical about supplements but my dad has been taking a product called SynFlex since August and I have not seen him this happy in years.

The stuff has cut his pain to a third and his range of motion in his knees and shoulders is 100% better.

I don't know if this product will work for all but he got it at
http://www.activexamerica.com/at.cgi/210612/arthritis/

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 03:06:01 PM »
I have used Glucosmaine sulphate for a number of years, I've not noitced any remarkable difference but that is not to say is doesn't work.
There are a few groups who shouldn't use glucosmaine such as those who have had ACL repairs but I would advocate checking with the pharamacist before you buy.

Iona

Offline Tabu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 08:27:47 PM »
Hello, I was kind of surprized to get an e-mail from someone responding to this old post.  :) But I have been using the MSM and the Glucosimine now for another year. I ran out for a while (about a month) and it really, really made a big difference in my pain level.
I do my knee exersises every day (usally before getting out of bed even) and that makes a huge difference too, in fact I walk with much less pain/weakness after exersising. That and my knees are much stronger good thing because my good knee has to take a lot more of the work load.
I also recently joined weightwatchers and have lost a total of 35 lbs and it has also made a huge difference.  Its still there more in the form of a weakness  than a pain-most of the time unless you move just the right way.  :-/  
At least I am able to do much more than before, the only thing I find I cannot do or I pay for it dearly is stand on concrete-the knees and feet ache after this for days, no more standing jobs for me.  ;)
Dislocation Injury on 9/93, didn't go to Dr to have it checked. Fially couldn't walk on 1/02 went in and x rays reveled lhave artritis, later found bone chip. removed & clean up & lateral release 7/02

Offline cm

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2003, 11:52:06 PM »
There are a few groups who shouldn't use glucosmaine such as those who have had ACL repairs but I would advocate checking with the pharamacist before you buy.

Iona

I've had ACL reconstruction (several years ago) and my two OS's both said that while they couldn't guarantee Glucosamine would help, it definitely wouldn't hurt and might help my knee.   Where have you heard the info to the contrary?
Left knee ACL reconstruction w/hamstring graft and meniscus repair 10/00
Left knee bucket handle meniscus tear - partial meniscetomy 4/8/03

Offline Kimby

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2003, 06:04:03 PM »
Tried to take G&C, two different times as I do have significant cartilidge loss under the kneecap.  Both times, I experienced full menstrual symptoms even though it wasn't that time of the month.  I have never had this problem except for the two times I tried to take the G&C.  Have any other women had this problem and is anyone aware if G&C have hormonal properties?  I have asked my OS(s) about this and they have never heard of anyone having this kind of problem.
1982 - R patella tendon transversal
1983 - L patella tendon transversal
2003 - R TTT and patella medial ligament   reconstruction
2004 - L TTT and PMLR

Offline Tabu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2003, 06:57:22 PM »
I never had that reaction before but then I have been spayed. ;)
I have noted now that if I run out of the MSM is when I really hurt can feel it with in a couple of days. The glucosamine (I don't use the one with condroitin in it) it takes weeks to notice a difference. Perhaps MSM will help you more?
Marci :) who is now at 53 lbs lost -funny thing is now my knee can bend more it hurts to do it. ::)

Offline Kimby

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2003, 09:01:14 PM »
What is MSM?  Are you in the US?
1982 - R patella tendon transversal
1983 - L patella tendon transversal
2003 - R TTT and patella medial ligament   reconstruction
2004 - L TTT and PMLR

Offline Tabu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2003, 09:20:04 PM »
yes, in the US, its methylsufonylmethane I take 2000 mg a day. Its good for the hair too ;)
Here you can get it in the grocery store. It should be in the same area as the glucosamine.
Marci

Offline badkneedgal

• Regular Poster
    • A Day in the Life
Joint Juice?
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 02:59:22 AM »
I've been using Joint Juice for the past month and a half.  I guess it's helping some -- actually I'm not really sure how much.  Luckily it's the Glucosimine HCL rather than the sulfate.  I'm allergic to sulfa drugs.  I also just found out that Joint Juice has Splenda in it-- I'm not crazy about that.  Is there a Glucosimine HCL pill will no sulfate in it?  I guess I'll be back in the vitamin/supplement aisle with my reading glasses! ;) 
-Paula
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 03:01:53 AM by badkneedgal »
Osteoarthritis, patellar tracking prblems in both knees, in 1st round of physical therapy
Probable Meniscus tear right knee, Surgery scheduled for 2/3/06

shadehawk

Re: Knee arthritis - use glucosamine, chondroitin etc
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 11:33:05 AM »
Badkneedgal,

Hi, I have never seen this before and thought that it sounded interesting.  I live in Canada so do not know if we have it here yet, but it does sound interesting. 

Hope that this starts working for you.

Shade

Offline badkneedgal

• Regular Poster
    • A Day in the Life
Re: Knee arthritis - use glucosamine, chondroitin etc
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 05:02:44 PM »
Well Shade, I can tell you that it tastes good.  It is my "little cocktail" at the end of the day -- really.  I pour it in to a cute little drink glass and down it goes!  ;) 

I've also read that Sam-e is good for joints so I may try that eventually.  Has anyone else tried it?  It is also used in place of anti-depressants so I thought that might be a good addition for me during the gloomy Michigan winter months!
Osteoarthritis, patellar tracking prblems in both knees, in 1st round of physical therapy
Probable Meniscus tear right knee, Surgery scheduled for 2/3/06