Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee arthritis - use glucosamine, chondroitin etc  (Read 40970 times)

Offline Run262

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Knee arthritis - use glucosamine, chondroitin etc
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 05:01:58 PM »
This link may also help explain the supplements. It's from my PT I see - his site has some great stuff on it too.

http://sportscenteraustin.blogs.com/the_view/2005/02/how_to_use_supp.html
2/04 - Diagnostic scope suspected meniscus tear - normal healthy joint found. L knee
4/04 - cortisone shot L knee - two weeks later, the portal scar tissue during re-hab broke up! All is good!
8/11 - Lateral meniscus radial tear - scope - L knee

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 06:36:13 PM »
Hey !!

Talked to a person regarding dietcost some days ago. She recommended a preparate consisting avocado and soy, and that should be like glucosamine. Anyone out there heard of that ?

Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline hathor65

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 11:15:47 AM »
Hi

I had an ACI 13months ago. Does anyone know if Glucosamine helps with the healing...my OS didn't seem too bothered.

Hathor
Nov 03 - L Knee debridement
May 04 - ACI L knee - Patella
Dec 08 - MACI L Knee - Patella
Oct 09 - L Knee scope

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 98
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 08:40:10 PM »
Hi

I had an ACI 13months ago. Does anyone know if Glucosamine helps with the healing...my OS didn't seem too bothered.

Hathor
It is relevant when joint surface is damaged.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 11:10:14 AM by The KNEEguru »
--
KNEEguru

Offline jj007

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Knee arthritis - use glucosamine, chondroitin
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2005, 12:35:11 PM »
I have used Glucosmaine sulphate for a number of years, I've not noitced any remarkable difference but that is not to say is doesn't work.
There are a few groups who shouldn't use glucosmaine such as those who have had ACL repairs but I would advocate checking with the pharamacist before you buy.

Iona

why should ya not use if taking glucosmain if acl?
regards john

Offline shnun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Joint Juice?
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 08:12:40 AM »
I've been using Joint Juice for the past month and a half.  I guess it's helping some -- actually I'm not really sure how much.  Luckily it's the Glucosimine HCL rather than the sulfate.  I'm allergic to sulfa drugs.  I also just found out that Joint Juice has Splenda in it-- I'm not crazy about that.  Is there a Glucosimine HCL pill will no sulfate in it?  I guess I'll be back in the vitamin/supplement aisle with my reading glasses! ;) 
-Paula

According to http://www.itmonline.org/arts/sulfa.htm, glucosamine sulfate does not contain sulfa drugs and is not allergenic; it contains sulfate, which "is an existing component in the human body, mainly in the connective tissues."  If you have shellfish allergies you must make sure the sulfate is from a good quality source, but that's about it.

Offline larchy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 09:48:55 AM »
I found this place via google when I was doing a bit of research.

I've long had a problem with my right knee after an accident many years ago (lift shaft, gravity... not good :P ) and went in for an op last month as it has been rebuilt in the past but had become so painful I couldn't stand on it any longer.

Anyway, op was fine and I'm tremendously better now, but its something that is always going to be sore for me, and when I had new xrays done I was shown the dark areas around joints in my foot where arthritis is developing. Doc said he couldn't do anything other than prescribe anti -inflammatories to reduce the pain/swelling. Its not so bad yet, but I know its going to get worse and I've already become sick of taking pain killers etc

So, about a month ago I thought I'd try some of the natural cures that seem to be quite common. I tried this product from a place called www.simplyvital.com and I'm going to order some more soon as it's really made a difference. All my joints feel less stiff, and I'm more mobile than I've been in years... time to finally get the garden shed cleared out!

Thought I'd just share my experience in case it can help anyone else. I've been reading the links other ppl have been posting... good information :)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 08:06:53 PM »
I seen glucosamine and cod liver oil advertised on TV and Newspapers and magazines but always show people over 50 using them and not younger people. My GP said to take them if my knees started to ache. Having Asperger Syndrome these adverts have made me stop taking glucosamine as I feel I am to young to take them when I become 29 in just under 7 weeks time. This posting is silly but with my AS makes me think I dont need any supplements for my joints even though I take a jog every day for 20 minutes around my area that must be around 1 and a half miles.

They need to work on their marketing put photo's of young and older people so people dont think its only for people 50+

Nick :) {2007} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline VillaB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »
See there's not been much discussion on this recently, but would recommend Karen Hambly's articles elsewhere on the site, which I have just discovered.

Years before my knee trouble started, one cold winter in England, I started to get arthritis -- in my knees, in my back and in my hands. It was totally obvious that it was arthritis, as I developed distinct knobbly bits on the joints of my fingers. I got to the point where I could not lift more than a one plate at a time, could not play the piano. I saw my local GP, who suggested I give glucosamine and chondroitin a try. Within 3 weeks, the knobbles (sp?) disappeared and the condition improved. I have been taking it ever since and rarely have any joint pain at all. (I have a dislocating knee but that's another story)

Looking back I wonder if it was because the weather improved etc etc. I have followed the literature and I know there's no proof that it works. But it's definitely worth a try.

Offline Ingrid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 12:38:11 AM »
Hello!  I just bought some Gluc Chron MSM yesterday.  Will report back in one month to see if it's helped me!  Dr. said it does help some folks.  I have heard Collagen works too! 

support