Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 32 going on 70  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Rob210474

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
32 going on 70
« on: March 23, 2007, 12:28:10 PM »
Hi there,

I'm due to have a femoral osteotomy in May/June of this year (thanks to the replies I've had from an earlier posting) and I had my pre-op yesterday.  I met the lovely Surgeon who is jointly performing the operation (he's breaking my femur for me) and he was particularly surprised after meeting me and realising I'm not 70ish but in fact 32. 

My knee is damaged that much, he said this should have been sooner.

Has anyone else had a 'femoral osteotomy' and if so, was it successful and how long were you off your feet?

Rob

Offline laforce18

• Regular Poster
  • Everything happens for a reason
Re: 32 going on 70
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
Rob,
I have never heard of what you are doing, but I want to wish you a successful surgery and good luck.
SHANNON
Shannon
ACL allograft 3-22-06
lat rel and manip 6-29-06
patella femoral arthrofibrosis
lat rel and chrondplasty  9-26-06
arthroscopic surgery scope 6-12-07
lateral meniscus tear, cartilage and scar tissue removal

Offline Thabo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:14:09 PM »
Hi Rob

Hope you surgery helps.
Can you let me know exactly why your surgeon thinks a femoral osteotomy would be usefull and what exactly he means with that. I also have a lot of problems especially with my R knee that is externally rotated( my R foot point to the outside when I stand or lie on my back) I believe this is what made me vulnerable to injury and might be looking at a femoral deorotation osteotomy in the future- ie cutting the femur and rotating my leg so that my toes point forward).
Please let me know. Thanks. BTW I am a 38 yr old ex mounttainbiker, climber, hillwalker and at the moment am unable to even walk more than 500 yards in total a day.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 08:16:12 PM by Thabo »
Overuse injury 2003.
Chondroplasty and medial synovectomy May 2006.
Now bilateral grade 3/4 chondromalacia.
Bilateral patelar microfracture 04/2009, R HTO 10/2009.
R hip impingement surgery 05/2010, L hip impingement surgery 09/2010
Stage 1 MACI  14/01/11
Stage 2 MACI R patella 11/03/11

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 08:27:57 PM »
One of my fathers buddies.. His wife .. friend had one..     Pretty hard rehab and one leg is shorter than the other now.

Offline Rob210474

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 10:38:38 AM »
Hi Thabo,

Thanks for your comments.  My OS thinks that doing a femoral osteotomy will relieve the stress on the lateral side of my right knee.  Once everything's sorted with that, he is going to do the cartilage transplant.  This he hopes will put 15-20 years more life into my knee.  It's better than having a TKR at the age of 32!!!! :D At least I'll be able to get back to some sort of physical fitness.  Like you I am a keen mountain biker but have played alot of rugby and football which unfortunately will never play again!! :'(

Offline AGOERTZEN

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 06:12:58 AM »
Hi there.
Just home recovering from my second HTO on the same knee in 3 years. It is very hard work and quite painfull but worth it. The first one was to correct a similar rotation problem that you have. Normally you have about 15-17 degree rotation but I had a 45 degree. The first HTO corrected that although after 3 years for my leg was quite bowed and the joint very unstable. I have just had a opening wedge HTO using an illiac crest graft (from my hip) and all went very well.

I expect to be off my feet for at least 3 months as I'm non-weight baring for a minimum of 6 weeks. I had a similar recovery schedule last time although it was longer with the hospitals being quarentined with SARS.

One major difference between by last HTO and this one was pain level. I"m fortunate to have a hospital that deals only in musculo-skelotol problems that is also a research and teaching hospital. They have made great strides in pain management and I was able to have a femoral nerve block completely erasing all feeling in my affected leg for the surgery. By the time the block wore off I was happily on a morphine drip and felt a minimal amout of pain.

The most important thing it to have care and support when you are home recovering. You can't do it on your own. Don't get discouraged and give yourself time to heal.

Let us know how it goes.

Offline Thabo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 11:46:52 PM »
Good luck Rob. I hope you can get to the MTB in the long run- as far as Im concerned it is a lot more fun than rugby!!  ;D

I seem to have some sort of painsyndrome now and would love to get back to biking. We will just have to see what happens...
Overuse injury 2003.
Chondroplasty and medial synovectomy May 2006.
Now bilateral grade 3/4 chondromalacia.
Bilateral patelar microfracture 04/2009, R HTO 10/2009.
R hip impingement surgery 05/2010, L hip impingement surgery 09/2010
Stage 1 MACI  14/01/11
Stage 2 MACI R patella 11/03/11

support