Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tibial Osteotomy  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Carolyne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Tibial Osteotomy
« on: December 24, 2002, 10:42:58 PM »
 Wishing everyone a happy Christmas.
I have posted before asking for help and advice and many thanks to everyone who has replied. This is an update.  My husband has arthitis in half of each knee and was bow-legged and in a great deal of pain. He had various different options for surgery suggested to him. At 47 he is too young for a knee replacement. He eventually had a Tibial Osteotomy with internal plate and screws.  This happened a week ago and he spent three nights in hospital. He has a soft brace with velcro fastenings and walks with crutches. Delighted to report that he has had no significant pain from either the knee or the hip where they took the bone from. He sleeps well each night and, apart from the frustration of having to sit still  with his leg up all day, he is fine.  In the last couple of days the bruising has come out, but we are putting lots of Arnica cream on that.  The knee and ankle are slightly swollen but no more than to be expected. The scars are very neat and his leg movement is good and getting better each day.  He is to be non-weight bearing for 3 weeks. Hope this may help anyone who is thinking of having this type of operation. He is having the other knee done in the Spring.
Carolyne
Carolyne
Internal Tibial Osteotomy Dec 2002

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
Re: Tibial Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 12:50:15 AM »
HI, I am a 50 yr. old male with knee problems apparently similar to your husbands. About 15 mos. ago I had a high tibial osteotomy on my left knee. I didn't have any bone grafted from my hip, so my surgery was different. Let us know how his rewcovery goes. I am always interested to hear how other peoples surgerys turn out. Sometimes doctors aren't always as helpful and forthright as they should be and other patients firsthand information can be helpful. I am happy for your success so far and wish you good luck in your husband's continuing recovery. Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline Keith

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2003, 07:40:50 AM »
Hi, I had a high tibial osteotomy with open wedge 18mo. ago on my left knee. I had no cartiledge in the inside of the knee. All has gone very well my knee is great. Prior to the operation I could no longer walk 3 blocks to work.  Now I can do pretty much anything within reason. Best of luck to all.

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2003, 09:05:10 PM »
Hi Keith, I am glad your HTO has been successful. Mine has not worked out so well. After 15 mos. my leg is just as bowed as before. My doctor has been real evasive and pretends to believe everything is just fine when in reality my leg hurts worse than before and I limp badly all the time. My feeling is that the doctor didn't correct the leg enough.
Obviously I need to see a new doctor to find out what went wrong. Right now I can't afford to be off of work as I am still trying to pay for my last surgery.
I am surviving by wearing an unloader knee brace on each leg all the time.
In hind sight I wish I had asked more questions before my HTO.But I still don't know how to pick a good orthopedic surgeon.
From information I've picked up on the internet sports clinics seem to be the best places to have knee work done because they do the most.
I was supposed to be able to run and jump after this surgery but in reality I can barely walk and only run in my dreams.
If you can give me any advice or insight I would appreciate it or if this is just as puzzling to you as it is to me I understand.
Thanks Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

support