Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Femoral Osteotomy  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Carolyne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Femoral Osteotomy
« on: December 13, 2002, 03:21:48 PM »
I now know exactly what operation my husband is having on Monday (16th Dec).
It will be a Femoral Osteotomy where a plate is inserted in the osteotomy site together with some bone graft (all buried under the skin). No external fixators will be used. He will be in plaster for a short while and then a DonJoy brace.  Non-weightbearing for approx 6 weeks.

Any contact, hints, information, advice  from anyone who has undergone this procedure would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2002, 12:58:17 AM by Carolyne »
Carolyne
Internal Tibial Osteotomy Dec 2002

Offline amazonia

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • hello from Vancouver, Canada!
Re: Femoral Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2002, 12:23:54 AM »
I have just had a 'high tibial osteotomy' on Dec. 5th, and at now home recovering.....crutches and non weight bearing for 2 months.  I don't know about a femoral osteotomy, but imagine the procedure and recovery are somewhat similar.  I had 2 bone grafts taken from my hip (illiac) and placed in the wedge they opened in my tibia. (small incision - only 7 staples to cover it)  The small plate/screws are all on the inside.  I was in the hospital for 4 nights, on a morphine drip for the first couple of days, and then tylenol 3's with codeine.  Yes, it is VERY painful - and the hip area where the bone graft is taken from is nearly more painful than the leg.  However, I'm now one week post op. and the hip pain is subsiding well...although sneezing/coughing isn't much fun.  I don't have to have a cast, as they want me to continue to keep my knee mobile, so feel that the bone area where they did the osteotomy is pretty 'exposed'.  This is my 2nd surgery to ultimately repair a blown apart knee form a horseback riding injury last January, and I have reconstructive surgery to look forward to in the Spring.  All I can tell you is that the first couple of days he'll be in a lot of pain and won't be able to imagine getting out of bed, but I found that each day was a substantial improvement from the previous day.  I wish him well, and I'm sure he'll appreciate your support.
Jan. '02 - complete tears of the ACL/PCL and PLC - emergency surgery to repair them;  high tibial osteotomy Dec 5 '02; May 22nd 2003 reconstructive PCL (allograft) and PLC (hamstring tendon).  No ACL reconstruction as I retore it 3 weeks prior to surgery.  No ACL/ loose knee but little pain!

support