Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Please help me interpret my MRI before my ortho appt  (Read 14793 times)

Offline SimplyV

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please help me interpret my MRI before my ortho appt
« on: March 18, 2007, 01:38:03 PM »
Hello,
I have an appt. to see my ortho this week.  I was given my MRI report along with a cd of my MRI.  I would really like to know what this report means before I see the ortho.
Findings:
Examination reveals a trizonal horizontal cleavage tear of the posterior horn and mid body of the medial meniscus with Grade III signal communication to the inferior articular surface and inner edge.  The tear measures approx. 3.0 cm in length.  There is mild extrusion of the mid body remnant medially.

The lateral meniscus is intact.  There is some intra periligamentous edema along the anterior cruciate ligament favored to represent myxoid degeneration.  No significant tear of secondary signs of anterior ligamnet laxity.  The posterior cruciate ligament is intact.  There is enthesopathic marrow edema along the tibial spines with spurring.  The extensor mechanisims, lateral ligamenteous complex, and medial collateral ligament are intact.  There is some bowing of the medial collateral ligament.  There is mild/moderate tricompartmental osterarthritis most prominant in the patellofemoral and medial compartment where there is joint line marginal osteophytes and moderate joint space narrowing.  There is diffuse high grade (III-IV) throughout the medial compartment weight bearing surfaces and intermediate with some areas of high grade chondromalacia along the lateral patella facet and trochlear groove of the femur.  Mild osteoarthritis is noted in the lateral compartment with subtle Grade II chondral fraying along the weight bearing surface of the mid lateral femoral condyle and lateral tibial plateau.  The majority of the articular surfaces in the lateral compartment are preserved. 
There is moderate joint effusion with debris and synovitis.  No acute fractures or bone marrow contusions.  There is an osscous lesion along the very anterior medial distal femoral diaphysis abutting the anterior cortical margin measuring 1.7 cm transverse by 1.4 cm AP x 2.0 cranicaudal.  The lesion has a lobulated border and predominately high signal intensity with central areas of linear and rounded matrix of low signal intensity.  This is favored to represent an enchondroma.  The remaining marrow and cortical signal is normal.  The remaining surrounding soft tissues are unremarkable.
Impression:
1. Trizonal horizontal clevage tear of the medial meniscus as described in detail above.
2.  Lesion along the anterior medial femoral diaphysis abutting the metaphysis favored to represent and enchondroma measuring 1.7 x 1.4 x 2.0 cm.
3.  Mild/moderate tricompartment osterarthritis most porminant in the medial and patellofemoral compartments.  In the medial compartment there is diffuse high grade chondromalacia as well as intermeduate to high grade chondromalacia along the lateral patellar facet and trochlear groove of the femur.  Low grade chondromalacia is noted in the lateral compartment.
4.  Moderate joint effusion with synovitis and some debris.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Please help me interpret my MRI before my ortho appt
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 03:46:41 PM »
Hi SimplyV,
I'm not a medical professional, but I think I can interpret most of this for you. First of all, you have a tear in the back and mid-section of your medial meniscus (the one on your inner thigh), and I think they're saying the torn piece has moved out of its normal position. Your lateral meniscus (the one on your outer thigh), is OK. These are little cushions of cartilage between your leg bones.
Your ACL and PCL are OK, also, but there is some wear and tear in the ACL. I don't know the exact meaning of myxoid degeneration, but it has something to do with that. These are the ligaments that keep your lower leg from shifting too far forward or backward.
Your MCL and LCL, which are ligaments on the sides of your thigh and shin, are OK, but I think the MCL may be stretched a little. That's how I'm interpreting "bowing". I may be wrong.
Extensor mechanisms would refer to your quad and patellar tendons, and these seem to be OK, also.
There are various degrees of osteoarthritis in the different compartments of your knee. On the medial (inner thigh) side, it's more severe, with some areas of complete cartilage loss, leaving you bone-on-bone. This has resulted in some bone spurs. The lateral side isn't nearly as bad. The OA there is mild. There's also some worn cartilage under the lateral side of your kneecap and in the groove it sits in. This is mild to moderate.
Lastly, you have an enchondroma somewhere in your femur (the big thigh bone). I had to look this one up to see what it was. It isn't anything to worry about. It's just a benign cartilaginous tumor in the bone. The info I got said it usually doesn't cause any problems.
Good luck with your OS appointment this week. Sounds like you've got quite a bit to discuss. I hope he'll have some good treatment options to offer you.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline paulgrech

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Please help me interpret my MRI before my ortho appt
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 11:57:09 PM »
Excellent interpretation plantgeek. Rather longwinded report and I guess English wasn't his first language. The bowing of the medial collateral is either because it is displaced by osteophytes which he mentioned at the medial femerotibial joint or because the body of the medial meniscus has been extruded beyond the joint margin (which would suggest that its become detached from its tibial attachments) and pushes the MCL outwards.  A third possibility is a meniscus cyst but you would assume he would have specifically mentioned this.
www.uk-radiology.co.uk