Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: HELP!! Which "Icing Machine" to buy ??  (Read 22907 times)

Offline 2ndmate

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
HELP!! Which "Icing Machine" to buy ??
« on: March 17, 2007, 04:11:15 PM »
Howdy

I know there has been a thread about this before, but I can't find it anymore.

I'm looking to buy an icing machine (Cryo Cuff, Breg, Don-Joy, Game Ready) in anticipation of upcoming TTT surgery.
I'm pretty sure I want a powered one.  As I understand it - the non-powered ones, you must manually "fill" the cuff every so often, while the powered ones do this automatically.  RIGHT??

I would like to know which icing machines everyone likes - AND WHY.

Concerns for me:
I'll be alone - so the auto chilling cold water exchange is important
How long each "fill-up" lasts.  Did you use just ice, or frozen water bottles?
Carrying the unit to the refrigerator on crutches.  the big units would be harder to carry
Can the powered units be used in manual mode - like in the car or sitting outside?
What else is important, stuff I should look for?

Thank you for your inputs.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: HELP!! Which "Icing Machine" to buy ??
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 05:49:03 PM »
Hello..
this is an interesting topic.
I have used a Breg Polar Care 300 with great success.  It is powered, plugs into the wall, but also has a manual hand bulb that can be used when there is no electricity available. I loved my Breg polar care and would have been lost without it.   The Game ready system as I understand it however provides icing and compression two really important things. When I was first post op they wrapped my leg to put compression and then put on the ice pad but if you had a game ready it does both!!! I used bagged ice instead of water bottles, and I did have to change it on my own.. I just pushed the ice bucket part along the ground, took the lid off .. and it wasn't too bad. Depends on the set up of your house.

I have never tried any other kind but thought i'd share that Breg was so fantastic, and the company stands behind their products 110%!

Goodluck
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

trainwreck

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 12:21:42 AM »
I had the cryo cuff not powered.  I loved it.  Changing the water is a piece of cake.  I think it stayed cold in the cuff for about 30 minutes and the water in the cooler stayed cold 8 hours easily.  I luckily have 2 cryo-cuffs (way too damn many surgeries I guess)  and if they are both filled they'll easily last me all day until somone comes home and can refilll them with ice.

I love my cryo-cuff.

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 05:10:11 PM »
I LOVE my Breg Polar Care!! They sent me home from the hospital with it. Why not mention that to your OS? They may send it home with you....it is an absolute godsend!!

DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 06:46:02 PM »
Howdy

I know there has been a thread about this before, but I can't find it anymore.

I'm looking to buy an icing machine (Cryo Cuff, Breg, Don-Joy, Game Ready) in anticipation of upcoming TTT surgery.
I'm pretty sure I want a powered one.  As I understand it - the non-powered ones, you must manually "fill" the cuff every so often, while the powered ones do this automatically.  RIGHT??

I would like to know which icing machines everyone likes - AND WHY.

Concerns for me:
I'll be alone - so the auto chilling cold water exchange is important
How long each "fill-up" lasts.  Did you use just ice, or frozen water bottles?
Carrying the unit to the refrigerator on crutches.  the big units would be harder to carry
Can the powered units be used in manual mode - like in the car or sitting outside?
What else is important, stuff I should look for?

Thank you for your inputs.

I have used a Breg and DonJoy Iceman.  I really can't tell the difference but I would definately have one ready to go when I got home from surgery. 

If you are going to be alone I would definately get a one with power. I used an icebag when I was in a car or wanted to go outside.  The coolers were just too much to mess with unless I was going to be somewhere for a least a few hours.

The "fill-up" depend on the amount of swelling you have.  At first I needed about 20# a day of ice.  The unit will keep ice over night if you don't have much swelling.

I use a combination of 8oz water bottles and ice.  The water doesn't seem to get cold enough with just water bottles and the ice alone seems to melt too fast.  I have the samaller unit and it will hold about 5-6 frozen water bottles and 3-5 pounds of ice.  The empty cooler will hold about 7-8 pounds of ice and you can get 6-8 8oz water bottles in at one time.  I kept 12 or so water bottles forzen so that I always had a good supply.

I am not sure I could carry the cooler to the refrg. on crutches without a struggle.
I started to keep a small cooler with just ice and frozen bottles next to my bed but my husband felt bad and stopped complaining about getting the ice to me.

I carried the water bottles to the cooler in a plastic bag.  I have a bathroom colse to the bedroom so getting the water dumped out was not hard.  I figured out how much water to leave in the cooler instead of dumping all of it out.  That made the water a lot colder in the cooler than water out of the faucet.

Mine dosen't have a manual mode.  I do know there are cryotherapy units that do have power supply and manual mode.

Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 03:27:57 PM »
I need to add a PS

DON'T BUY AN ICEMAN..THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT
According to the manufacturer there is a 30 day warranty and if the pump stops working you have to buy an entire new unit.

I have had some complications and my OS wants me to start icing again.

I noticed that the bottom of the IceMan has what looks marks from when the plastic lining was formed and there are hairline cracks around it.  I am concerned that it will leak.   I called the supplier for the IceMan and he told me that it had been too long since I got the unit and there was no warranty on the unit.  This happened within 60 days after I left the hospital with the unit.

I got to thinking about "no warranty".  Even a toaster has at least a 90 warranty.  I have contacted the hospital about my concerns and they agree with me.  My OS alone does more than 500 TKA each year at this hospital....

I think that supplier may have shot himself in the foot.  Really Dumb move supplier!!!  I hope he has sold his last unit to that hospital!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 08:48:31 PM by L. Thomas.net »
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline 2ndmate

• Regular Poster
Good comments
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 06:19:35 PM »
Thanks for all the good comments.

I'll try to get my OS to prescribe one - but if not - I'll stay away from the Donjoy Iceman.
The Polarcare 300 sounds good - not too heavy, has electric pump, and manual available too.

What about the Cryo Cuff's claim that their unit squeezes/compresses soothingly - when refilling and emptying.  Does the Breg do the same thing?

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 08:38:03 PM »
 I have two kryo cuffs ..   I always joke it is like my parting gift from my surgeon after each surgery.   You know how the dentist gives you free tooth paste and a toothbrush.    I would say the cuff keeps cold for a good hour to 45 mins. While the compression is always there from the water fill up.  The ice and water in the cooler part has always lasted me 8 hours.   I found I could drag it with crutches..  If on the same floor..   

Offline Heather_K.

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 06:30:50 AM »
Hi,
  I just watnted to let you know my experience with ice machines. I have had a total of 29 orthopedic surgeries(12 left knee, 10 right knee and 7 left ankle) I have the breg ice machine as well as the donjoy ice machines but I really like the Game REady, that really works the best, its quite expensive if you buy it, but sometimes the doctor will order it for a couple of weeks and the insurance will pay for it.  Its heavey when its full of ice and water, but it really circulates the water and ice welll and controls the swelling. Let me know if you want more info from me. Best of Luck. Heather K.   [email protected]
rt: lateral. release, chondroplasty, TTT+ LR, MPFL recon.+scar tissue removed Left: TTT+LR, revision with new screws + 8 ankle surgeries =Total of 30 surgeries, MRSA infect. with muscle/skin graft surgery. Surgeries 10 RT knee, 12 LefT knee, 8 Left ankle. message/email me for info/advice on TTT's. .

Offline 2ndmate

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 04:51:44 AM »
Thanks for all the info. 

I asked my OS about prescribing an icing machine.  He said he did not use them - he thought they did not affect healing.  (I guess it dos not matter that it makes the patient so much more comfortable - right?).

I then asked - if I buy one, would he "install" it - in the Operating Room or Recovery Room (wherever it is they put it on).  He said he would.  HOORAY.

I then asked if the pad had to be a sterile one, or could I get a regular one - he said it could be either, it just needed to be sealed in the package.

So, I got on Ebay, and managed to get a Breg Polarcare 500.  I also found new Wrap-on Pads on Ebay as well.

Only 15 days to go til surgery