Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: medial meniscus tears and prolotherapy  (Read 1490 times)

Offline AliJG

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
medial meniscus tears and prolotherapy
« on: March 15, 2007, 04:54:21 PM »
I have heard that prolotherapy can be effective in healing medial meniscus tears. I can see how irritating torn tissue might stimulate it to heal in other areas of the body, but I can't understand how this would work with an adult meniscus since it has no blood supply andso no mechanism for healing no matter how much stimulus. What do you knee experts think? Has anyone had experience of prolotherapy with a meniscus? I have a torn meniscus and am having difficulty getting an objective opionion, since most of the information out there is provided by people selling prolotherapy. Information gratefully received.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: medial meniscus tears and prolotherapy
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 09:32:37 PM »
I doubt that this will help for meniscus. Though maybe for soft tissues.
I have never tried and don't know anyone who has tested this.
Just speak out of what I believe in and after thinking what treatments I have gone through for my knee damages.
Do you have a big mensicus tear ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline AliJG

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 03:02:38 PM »
The tear shows up as quite faint on the MRI but is quite long. It has been for about three years. People offering prolotherapy are stating that it can help repair the meniscus - I want to know what the basis for this is, as it seems unlikely to me too given the lack of blood supply. Are these people charlatans or do they know something we don't?!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 03:14:55 PM »
I think there are many people out in the world trying to fool us who seek help.
I have been searching on the web to try find out what could make a meniscus tear heal by having prolotherapy, but I don't find anything that make sense in that this should work at all.
Are you looking for alternatives instead of having surgery ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline AliJG

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 07:52:50 AM »
At the moment I can live without surgery, but maybe not in the longer term. So, yes, I'm looking for an alternative to surgery. Anything that is less invasive and utillises the body's innate ability to heal has to be better - but only if it has a sound basis for being effective! I'm going to try to pursue this with some of the people offering prolotherapy and will post any replies I receive.  :)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 01:41:57 PM »
That will be interesting to see what they have to tell you. I assume that you have researched a bit about meniscus and know what kind of tear you have and in what area meniscus has bloodsupply.
Looking forward to hear from you.

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 02:39:47 PM »
I don't know a thing about prolotherapy but I'd have to wonder if anything short of surgery would correct a mensical tear that's 3 years old...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.