Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: lateral release with chondroplasty (both knees)  (Read 1268 times)

Offline ktdaqt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
lateral release with chondroplasty (both knees)
« on: March 15, 2007, 03:18:43 PM »
I am an 18 year-old female and i was diagnosed with chondromlacia patellae with patellar instability last summer. I have been experience chronic knee pain for about 3-4 years and have tried everything to avoid surgery, including: physical therapy, wearing orthotics, cortisone injections, rest, ice, and limiting my activity significantly- but nothing worked. I went ahead and underwent surgery to help fix my knees.

Im almost 9 months post-op from getting a lateral release and chondroplasty on both knees. They also said when they went in, they saw  i had Grade 3 fibrilations. After the surgery, things seemed to be getting better and i thought the surgery was successful. However, for the last few months, the pain in both knees is becoming extremely painful again like i was experience before i even had the surgery.

They continue to hurt when i wake up in the morning, and worsen with simple activities such as walking for while and especially stairs. They also become extremely painful at night and they hurt even while im resting. Ice, rest, and anti-inflammatory meds have had little to no help.

If the the lateral release and chondroplasty was unsuccesful, does that indicate something more significant? Or what would be the next step after that?
Im seeing my OS  in the summer when i return home from school. So i won't know for a few months exactly whats goin on.

Anyone have any input or knowledge about this kind of situation? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!

~ktdaqt

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
Re: lateral release with chondroplasty (both knees)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 06:19:22 PM »
Hiya,

I'm recovering from my second lateral release with chondroplasty. Did you have any other post operative procedures? I had 4 injections of hyaluronic acid after my first op, and will be having them again for this second one. They helped me a lot with joint lubrication, and my knee hasn't felt this wonderful for a long time. I also took glucosamine to help with the new cartilage.

What kind of exercise are you doing now? Maybe a return to your post op physiotherapy exercises would help? I got myself some resistance bands so I can do my exercises at home, and have also taken up swimming laps which helps me keep my muscle tone.

Is there a medical or physiotherapy department at your school (I'm assuming university/college)? I used to work at a university and the final year students worked (supervised) in the physiotherapy clinic as part of their studies. This meant I could get good help for a fraction of the price.

Good luck,
Lozzie.
Aug '06 Right knee LR and chondroplasty
Feb '07 Left knee LR and chondroplasty

Offline rein61

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: lateral release with chondroplasty (both knees)
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 07:26:32 PM »
HI I seem to suffer from similiar knee problems.  I was contemplating the lateral release.  Would you not recommend?