Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Recent TPF needs advice  (Read 835 times)

Offline billbob

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recent TPF needs advice
« on: March 12, 2007, 02:29:48 PM »
i suffered tpf (2 cm depression; 3 screws and plate) skiing about 7 weeks ago (last run of the day...of course) with MCL/meniscal tear.  I am 6 weeks post surgery and have decent ROM (started PT 1 week post surgery) and am about to begin weight bearing so began reading KNEE talk.  I am scared to death, but can't wait .  I was very active pre-accident (singles tennis 2-3 times/week; gym 1-2 times) and hope to get back to some normalcy. After reading all the posts on this site for tpf, it is very humbling and i am trying to be realistic about recovery. how is the transition to weight bearing and do you have any advice ?  Is anyone close to normal after tpf with internal reduction ?  HELP !

Offline amykins

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Recent TPF needs advice
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 02:16:10 AM »
Hi There!
It sounds like your recovering very quickly!  I also suffered a Tibial Plateau Fracture about 6 weeks ago, and had surgery about a month ago with 2 screws.  I did not suffer any ligament damage.
Throughout my recovery I have found yoga to be quite helpful.  It allows you to gradually ease back into weight bearing and gain normal ROM without causing pain.  In fact, I was back at full ROM after only a week of daily sitting poses.  I am now using yoga to begin weight bearing.  I found the hardest thing to do was break the habit of constantly using my hip to lift my bad leg.  When I was able to completley release the hip and focus on the neuromuscular responses to the quad (brain to muscle), I was able to walk. Moreover yoga focuses on equality and balance on both sides of the body.  Remember to continue using ice whenever possible.  this will help reduce pain and encourage healing. 

Not sure if this is any help - Good Luck!
Amy

Skiing accident 2/23 - Tibial Plateau/Schatzer III/Lateral Depression Only
Surgery 3/7- 2 pins no bone graft
PT - 3/22
Full ROM Back - 3/27
NWB until 4/4

Offline Alison 98

• Regular Poster
Re: Recent TPF needs advice
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 09:42:07 PM »
I was kicked by a horse in Feb 07 shattering my tib plat and have just started FWB. I have been swimming a few times and it really seems to help, my knee doesn't feel as tight and apparently it's the best way of rebuilding strength. Best wishes.

support