Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: how long for MRI results  (Read 61983 times)

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: how long for MRI results
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 09:19:01 PM »
Hi,
I finally got my appointment to see the OS about the MRI results. The appointment is on tuesday morning. I got it at short notice due to a cancelation. That said, if it wasn't for that mobile scanner being around when it was, I'd probably still be waiting for the scan.

I'll let you know whats up.

garth
Knee troubles since 1997
Dec 07 - Scope, just a clear up.
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release
Mar 11 - More done to LR and some 'tweaks'
Nov 12 - Fulkerson and possible vmo advancement, dont know yet!

Offline paulgrech

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 12:23:49 AM »
Garth, for 200 this could all have been avoided. In Hereford, UK, and maybe elsewhere you can get a private scan and the report done by the next day  using the very same machine, radiographers and radiologists as used by BUPA and the other insurance companies.
As usual the targets set by the Government in the UK were half baked and have been interpreted creatively, so that although Alliance Medical will take you off a hospital waiting list and do the scan you don't really benefit because the scans take months to report. The government minister who advised Alliance Medical (and was paid 30000) was none other than Alan Milburn who had just resigned as Secretary of State for Health at the time!

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 01:43:41 AM »
Hi Garth,

Good luck with the results, I don't think I've actually asked what they are looking for and what your problem is. I also have only just noticed that you are a farmers son..............you can understand how I feel as farmers wife. I was hoping at first that everything would be OK by harvest, but now not even going to be seen until after harvest, oh well, I bet I get parked in the combine, on the theory once I have struggled up there, I can just sit all day! ;D

Let us know what happens, and good luck again
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 10:13:55 PM »
I kow exactly how it feels.
It started to dawn on me that I won't be helping with the hay this year about a month ago. It feels quite odd as I've always helped shift bales around since I could roll them on my own. Despite the fact its hard work, I like doing it. I suppose theres always next year. I can't even drive a tracor at the moment as its too painful to use the clutch.

Hopefully that MRI will show up something that can be fixed. I've been getting a load of clunking and grinding etc from under the left kneecap. The mri will hopefully show something up in there.

garth
Knee troubles since 1997
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 06:21:40 PM »
Well, I finally go to see someone about the results today. Turns out that I've torn my ACL. Everything else was in order.
I'll have to 3 months of physio until my next appointment with the OS. I saw a physio aswell and she thinks it will be a surgery job.

garth
Knee troubles since 1997
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 05:11:33 PM »
I'm glad that you got the results, but seems strange that you have to go to PT when it will probably be a surgery job, unless they are getting you fit for the surgery.

Looks like it will be hay time next year before you are back in the swing of things.

I also findthat anything with a clutch is a problem, luckily we have an automatic car, so I can get round easy enough. The little yard tractor is a Case 5120, and it has such a light clutch that if I have to I can cope with that for a while, but as I'm usually just tootling about the yard I just stick it in 2:2 and get on with it, it has a clutchless shift for reverse so can actually do quite a lot. Everything else is out of bounds at the moment, I'm not sure if I'll be able to cope with the combine, when we drag it out for prep work I'll have to see.
How much do you farm, and where are you?

Denny

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 07:53:54 PM »
hey garth - even with a torn acl if you keep the other supporting muscles strong you will cope fine - many people don't have them replaced at  all - just no footie for the time being - get out and get the hay done ;)
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 09:24:26 PM »
Denny,

I personally don't do a huge amount of farm work. I'm too unreliable :(. I've had knee problems for just under 9 years which limits what I'm able to do around the farm. I also have very flat feet which require corrective insoles. I can't wear the insoles in wellies. Because of this, I can only tolerate the things on hard surfaces for very short periods. We only have livestock (cattle and sheep), our land isn't much good for arable. I'm from Devon in the UK.

anja,

My quads are in good shape as I've done lots of physio this year, the ones on my bad leg are now stronger than on the good leg. I want to get on the ACL specific exercises asap. I've done a load or reading on ACL injuries today. One thing I did notice is that it shouldn't be constantly painful like my knee is. Some of the symptoms that I have seem to point towards a torn meniscus. I think I'll try and put this to my GP and see if it can be looked in to.
The physio that I saw mentioned that one of her collegues has a completely severed ACL and has no problems.
garth
Knee troubles since 1997
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 10:59:24 PM »
Hi Garth,
Devon is beautiful, we lived in Somerset for 25 years before moving out here to Canada. Your mention of wellies made me laugh, it brought home one of the reasons we moved out here....even working with the livestock, it's only wellie weather for about 4 weeks in total, 3 in spring, and maybe one in autumn ;D ;D I know what you mean about flat feet, I can't wear wellies for too long, but was lucky enough to find a really nice pair of light weight, steel toed leather boots, that have a great arch support, they are really comfortable, and only cost $30 in Walmart, a bargain.

Jim, my husband managed a few farms in the UK, but we couldn't afford to get on the ladder off our own back, hence the move out here, the land is cheap, and the banks are willing to lend to people who have a little money, but a lot of knowledge and enthusiasm.

I haven't been able to work outside much since November, because of the knee, walking on uneven ground and snow made it hurt, and then I fell over tripping on a frozen cow pat, and that made it really hurt, so the boys banned me from to much work, apart from the odd "come and stand in this gateway" call when they are moving cows.

Good luck with getting a further diagnoses, and hope the exersises help

Denny

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 11:08:26 PM »
Denny,
Moving to canda was probably a good idea. Being a livestock farmer is tough in the UK now. Bovine TB is crippling the beef industry, especially in the south west. Us included. The government will only tackle half of the problem. If you get an infected cow, it gets killed which is fair enough. On the other hand, we have a massive badger population with plenty of infected badgers roaming around spreading the disease. Nothing can be done to at least regulate the badger population as they are protected. There is a pro badger lobby in the UK that seems to hold clout with the government. The government hide behind flawed trials in order to avoid tackling the issue. This winds us up as we have had a closed heard for years. The cow that got infected had no contact with any other cows from other farms or with any of our cattle that have had contact with other cattle. The vet concluded it was from the local wildlife.

Sorry about the rant. Needed to get that off my chest.

garth
Knee troubles since 1997
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2007, 12:16:20 AM »
You rant away there, I totally agree with you, yes badgers are pretty, and yes they are part of the UK flora and fauna, BUT, for years farmers have controlled the population to a state where everyone can live in harmony. From what I read it seems that overcrowding in the Badger population due to the stopping of culling is causing an increase in the TB burden in them. I'm sorry but I'm not convinced by the 'townies' who say that there is no link between badgers and TB.

One of the many reasons we moved here was to get away from the regulations that are crippling farming, and other parts of UK life. Now we are able to build whatever we like on our farm, without applying for permission, which will be great when we are able to aford to put anything up. We can also shoot as many coyotes as we want, because none of the local farmers want them around. The white tail deer are managed by the local wildlife dept, they are counted and monitored during the spring and summer, then licences will be issued in the fall, to licenced hunters, who are allowed a certain number, based on keeping the population at a viable and sustainable level.

Offline julieann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 06:35:16 PM »
I just went and had an MRI on my knee this morning at 9am.  They told me they will fax the results to both my regular doc and OS possibly by this afternoon, or at the latest tomorrow afternoon.  They gave me the film to take with me also. Which is great because I have an appt. with the OS on Monday morning.

I wish I could read the film though and finally know what the heck is wrong with me....  do you think if I asked them they would send me a copy of the report also?

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2007, 01:57:16 AM »
WOW, thats great service, it woin't hurt to ask and see if they can send you a copy of the report, I can understand you wanting to know whats wrong, that's the first step in getting things fixed!

Good luck

Offline julieann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2007, 02:54:10 AM »
Yea, it was actually one of the best MRI experiences I've had so far.  I didn't even have a co-pay, which was great cuz I was expecting the usual $10 charge.  I've also had my shoulder and wrist done (apparently I have loose joints that are more susceptible to injury..or so told my OS when he was checking me out for my shoulder). The place I went for my knee today is the same one that did my shoulder, and they were questioning me about that.  I had a tear in my shoulder and still haven't gotten it fixed yet (6 yrs later..)... so they were badgering me about that (although not meanly), and they said my OS was gonna bug me about that too. LOL.  Oh joy. 

I am going to call them in the morning and ask them to fax me the report.  I don't see why they wouldn't give it to me...afterall its my medical history!  I've never gotten the report before though...so who knows.  But it would help me be better prepared for the OS appt. on Monday... I hate going in without having a clue what they're gonna say because then I don't have the questions to ask them.

Offline julieann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2007, 03:32:28 PM »
Argh!! They won't give me a copy of the report.  They said they can only give it to me after my doctor has told me what it says.  What the heck ?  :'(  :'(  How would they even know when my doctor has told me?  That doesn't seem right.

support