Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: how long for MRI results  (Read 59677 times)

Offline ppv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
how long for MRI results
« on: March 09, 2007, 04:15:21 PM »
I was wondering if anyone out there know how long it typically takes for a doctor to get MRI results back from an imaging center.  The center is not in the same location as the doctor, but they have a close working relationship.  The doctor wanted me to go same day to get an MRI, but the only appointment available was for the next night.  It's now the second morning after the MRI was taken (approximately 36 hours later), and the woman I've been talking to is telling me it takes 3-5 business days.  I was under the impression the doctor wanted me in surgery as soon as possible, but that's not looking like the case anymore.

thanks.....

Offline Ferris

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: how long for MRI results
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 08:21:19 AM »
If the doctor and the MRI centre have a close working relationship then the doctor should know how long it will take to get the results back and will have factored that into his timetable in treating you - maybe that's why he wanted you to have it the same day as his appointment in order to get the ball rolling.  If the radiographer is asked to produce a report on the findings of the MRI then it will take a little time especially he s/he has others to look at and report on.  Some doctors don't like to receive reports from radiographers and prefer to review the report for themselves with no suggestions to guide them - in which case it should be quicker as then it is just a case of sending the film off to your doctor from the MRI centre.  I had to wait a week and was told to make my next appointment with the surgeon at that point and to tell the MRI unit (at the same hospital) when my next appointment was with the surgeon.  He had the films and the radiographer's report at that next appointment (he didn't agree with all of the report) and scheduled my surgery (ACLr) for a fortnight later - compared to the UK NHS waiting time, that was as soon as possible - I went private.  If it was extremely important for you to have the surgery in the next couple of days after your appointment then I suspect that your doctor will have speeded things up with the MRI centre in receiving the results as he would have known their normal time scale.

Rachel

Offline paulgrech

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 11:30:19 PM »
It very much depends on the setup for reporting. You mentioned an imaging centre. Some of these send your scans around the county or even abroad (electronically or posted as CDs) to be reported and others rely on a visiting radiologist who turns up when he has free time. Once the scan is reported it has to be typed up and sent out. I tried to set a standard of getting the result back to the doctor within 24hrs and managed this by having a radiologist available when the scan is done, using voice recognition or "hot reporting" by a typist and then faxing the report to avoid using the internal post system which can add 2 days to the turnaround of a report. Even then a compliicated scan may need to be shown to another radiologist and this can cause a long delay.
We want to turn reports around in 24 hours to protect our business. If a report in the private sector is delayed, the patient pesters the doctor who asked for the scan  and the doctor sends the next patient somewhere else for their scan- this is the market economy working for the patients benefit.
It use to be commonplace for reports to take almost 2 weeks to turn around but the expectation now is that the report is available the next day and even 15 years ago I found this to be the case in the US.
www.uk-radiology.co.uk

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 12:20:32 AM »
The place I go for MRIs reads them right away and faxes the findings to my doctor within 24 hours. They also hand over the films to me right then and there so I can take them to my doctor at my follow-up appointment. The last time I had an MRI my appointment was at 4 PM on a Friday. My follow-up with my doctor was the following Monday at 8 AM and they had faxed him the results that Friday night so they were there on Monday morning.

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 07:19:50 PM »
Hi,

I'm due for an MRI at the weekend. Does anyone have any idea how long the NHS take to get the results? My MRI won't be at a hospital's unit, but a mobile unit instead (Alliance Medical). I had a form through which asked if it was ok to send the results off to South Africa to be interpreted! (A cost cutting thing, they like to send medical notes to India to be typed up!). I havn't heard anything from my OS since I saw him in April. I assume they will arrange an appointment when they get the results. Hopefully I won't have long to wait. Been waiting for the MRI since early April.

garth
Knee troubles since 1997
Dec 07 - Scope, just a clear up.
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release
Mar 11 - More done to LR and some 'tweaks'
Nov 12 - Fulkerson and possible vmo advancement, dont know yet!

Offline pinkpipsan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 09:47:17 PM »
Hi Garth,

I had an MRI scan in March and had my results within 4 weeks through the NHS. However, my hosptal has this onsite so not sure if this is faster.

I would advise to go with sending them abroad as this seems to be faster. My mum had a scan recently and refused for them to be sent away and it took over 10 weeks for her to hear back.

Good luck with your appointment

Pip

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 10:13:40 PM »
Hi Garth - my OS  gets the results back within 10 days - he gets us to make an appt 2 weeks post scan.

PPV - wow you don't know how luckyyou are gettin your scans so fast - in the uk it can be anything from 4 - 40 weeks!!
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 10:57:49 PM »
Hi again, thanks for the replies. I was going to say no to allowing the scan to be sent abroad. Having second thoughts now. I'm not going to be a happy bunny if I end up waiting months to get the results back. Getting anywhere with the NHS seems like trying to get through quicksand at times. Its all been starting to get to me recently with all the waiting and my knees getting worse. I'm a farmers son and theres a lot I help out with during the summer. Its dawned on me that I'm unlikely to be fit for any of it now. >:(
Knee troubles since 1997
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 02:14:31 PM »
Thought this may be of interest to soemone on here. If you have a scan done with one of Alliance Medical's mobile units o behalf of the nhs, an Alliance radiologist will do the reading.

Hopefully it will be quicker than the nhs.

Scan is tomorrow. I'll post again (if I remember ;) ;)) once I have the reading.

garth
Knee troubles since 1997
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 06:23:34 PM »
Hi Garth, How are things, have you got your results yet? I'm getting worried reading how long it takes to get results, still waiting for the MRI, and getting frustrated, going to be fit to tie if I have to wait ages again for the result.
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 10:12:29 PM »
Hi rm185,

Still waiting. Its been two and a half weeks. I've spoke to two people about it. One said 3-4 weeks. The other said 4-6 weeks. I've decided to accept the 4-6 week statement. I know I'd end up getting frustrated if I expected it in 3 or 4 weeks and nothing came. To be honest I've tried to forget that I've even had it. Ignorance is bliss ;D

Are you having to deal with the NHS. If you are, you tend to get used to long waits don't you. >:(
Knee troubles since 1997
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release

redtoblack

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 10:18:35 PM »
Wow, that's a long time to wait for the results.  I had an MRI done on the 13th of this month and the results were ready the next morning.  I have the films with me, but they would only release the report to my OS.  All I'm waiting on is my appointment tomorrow for the OS to review the results with me.  I've been a mess just waiting for a week.

Jordan

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 10:27:44 PM »
Wow, that's a long time to wait for the results.  I had an MRI done on the 13th of this month and the results were ready the next morning.  I have the films with me, but they would only release the report to my OS.  All I'm waiting on is my appointment tomorrow for the OS to review the results with me.  I've been a mess just waiting for a week.

Jordan

My guess is that you aren't having to deal with the NHS then! Over here we have to wait ages for most things. It took me a month to see the OS, 2 months to get the MRI done (would have been 3 or more if it wasn't done by a contractor the NHS), and up to 6 weeks for the results to get to the OS. My results may be as far away as South Africa at the moment as they get sent abroad to be read. There has been a shortage of trained radiographers in the UK for years now. Its all a bit of a shambles really.
Knee troubles since 1997
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 05:15:41 PM »
Hi Garth,
It's not until you leave the tender care of the NHS that you find it could be worse!!!

I'm now in Canada, and I have a 3 1/2  month wait to see an OS, and then if he wants MRI's then will have to wait again, but at least the results won't have to travel half way round the world. Keep in touch and let us know when they do get back.
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 07:54:10 PM »
You should just cross the border into the US. When I changed orthopedic surgeons a couple years ago I had to wait 3 hours for my first appointment. And I don't mean 3 hours in the waiting room. It was 3 hours from the time I picked up the phone until I was actually in the doctor's office.