Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I finally have my diagnosis  (Read 1168 times)

Offline lenny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I finally have my diagnosis
« on: March 09, 2007, 01:00:30 PM »
For the first time in 11 years I have a name for my pain.  Popliteal tendinitis.  I finally went to a doctor yesterday because I was fed up with it hurting all of the time.  Never badly, which is why I put it off for so long.  It was simply a nagging pain behind my right knee on the outside seemingly at the very top of the calf muscle.  I told him that I could live with it for the rest of my life, but I just didn't want to.  I am relieved that it's nothing to worry about, almost not worth mentioning compared to what a lot of folks here endure on a daily basis.  I did search the forum and found very little about it.  Anyone else dealt with this before?

Dennis
37 y.o. male

Offline RunnerG1rl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: I finally have my diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 01:53:51 PM »
Hi!  Yes!  After 4 months of misdiagnosis and an unsuccessful arthroscopy, I also have been diagnosed with popliteal tendinitis, secondary to snapping popliteus tendon syndrome.  A little background:  I am an almost-26-year-old avid runner (at least, I was before all this) who began having significant pain in the back of my right knee last fall.  An MRI showed a medial meniscus tear and cartilage damage, so on 9 Jan 07 I underwent an arthroscopy.  My orthopedic surgeon couldn't find the meniscal tear and said my knee otherwise looked very healthy, but did find and remove some "abnormal" synovial tissue that he thought might have been pinching a nerve to cause my pain.  Subsequently, I did 6 weeks of physical therapy, and as I built the strength back up in and around my knee, the pain came back, just as bad as ever, and a popping sensation on the outside of my knee returned. 

Just this past week I returned to my O.S., who diagnosed the popping sensation as Snapping Popliteus Tendon Syndrome (basically, the tendon "snaps" over the top of my tibia every time I bend my knee), which likely has caused popliteal tendinitis.  The snapping tendon is rare, and if it doesn't go away on its own, I'll likely need another surgery to correct that.  Anyway I'm sure you probably don't have snapping of the tendon (you'd know if you did, trust me), but I can certainly relate to the annoying pain of the tendinitis!  Good luck!
11/06 - Dx Medial meniscus tear rt knee
1/9/07 - Rt knee arthroscopy w/ synovectomy
4/07 - Dx ITBS & bursitis rt knee
12/14/07 - ITB release rt knee

Offline Blake_hoch

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: I finally have my diagnosis
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 05:49:37 PM »
I'm young 19 years old and live a active lifestyle but for the past few years I've noticed an intense urge to pop my knee it feels like they just have to pop all the time (like a painful pressure) and when I kick out my leg it almost always pops. It's a continuous throughout the day. When I'm sitting, standing, driving etc. I am completely uncomfortable until i pop it and get relief and i have to do the at least every minute. Very frustrating i can’t live my life like this!
I have had 2 scope surgeries on it to try to get it fixed and each time they have removed a “fatty pad” but by the time i recover i have the same problem.

What's the deal?! I think i have narrowed it down to a rare snapping popliteus tendon syndrome but I'm not sure if thats it or how the doctor will fix it since its so rare.  Does anyone know anything about this or have had a similar experience?