Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Daughter hit by car, knee damage?  (Read 1528 times)

Offline MowSoccer109

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Daughter hit by car, knee damage?
« on: March 08, 2007, 11:34:29 AM »
Hi I am new to this great site and in the state of Wisconsin. Last Friday night my 15 year old daughter was returning home from an event with her friends when she walked out into the crosswalk and was struck by a vehicle. The vehicle was going about 25 to 30MPH (sorry I don't know the conversion to KPH) but the impact was enough to roll her to the hood of the car and she broke the windshield before she was thrown thru the air 15 feet to the road. It was a snowy night and the road was covered.  A side note here is the driver kept going without stopping but people got the plate and she turned herself in the next day.
My daughter suffered many injuries requiring stitches and a concussion but she was released that night and hobbled out of the hospital.
The vehicle actually hit 4 girls but my daughter got the worst of it. The impact was to her right side. There is some major bruising going on and the imprint of the bumper is on the outer aspect of her calf. The left leg has a large bruise in the area of where her right leg/knee would have hit it. She has always been healthy without any knee problems. She is a soccer player and was supposed to be starting her season this week.
The knee question is this, she is in an immobilizer because we have an Ortho appointment today at 2PM. She can bear weight on the leg but while standing she is unable to bring her heel up towards her back side more than about 8 inches. She says she has a strange feeling on the medial aspect of her knee and point tenderness medially and distally to her kneecap. The strange thing is that she can lay on her back and bring the heel up but she can't do it standing. Her kneecap does not have any pain and her lateral stability is ok. She feels something is wrong but cannot describe it. When measuring I find that there is still a 1 inch difference around the area above the kneecap and just below the kneecap as compared to her left knee area because of the swelling. She has been on NSAIDS since Friday and it does relieve the pain. We have tried to ice and elevate it but she is a kid and she is going to school so it isn't getting the complete rest it deserves in my opinion.
Does anyone have any insight to this? I am hoping that its just a stunned nerve or the swelling that is preventing the movement but I am a realist. I know the definative answer will come from the Doctor but I know there are some here that may also know a little about this. I will check back and let you know. Take care, great site!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 11:41:18 AM by MowSoccer109 »

Offline Susky

• Forum Faithful
Re: Daughter hit by car, knee damage?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 12:27:33 PM »
Hello - my name is Sue and I am new here too. 

I am sorry, but I cannot give you any advice on your daughter's knee injury, but as a mother as well, I would like to say how sorry I am that your daughter had this accident (and the other girls as well).  I really cannot believe how someone could do that and then drive away ... it beats all reason and common decency. 

I wish your daughter the strength to get through this and I wish her a speedy and complete recovery and I wish you strength to cope with it all as well.

A big hug and healing thoughts for the two of you.

Best regards,

Sue    :)

Offline MowSoccer109

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 02:16:06 PM »
Hi Sue,
Thanks for the kind words and thoughts. I have always known that there are many more good people in the world than bad people and this event has once again confirmed that. The support from friends and strangers alike is humbling and gracious. Thanks again for your thoughtful reply. You are in our prayers.

The appointment with the Ortho yesterday went quite well and I came out somewhat encouraged. Per physical exam, the ACL was good, the MCL was thought to be a possible Grade 2 Sprain. This was after many manipulations by the Doc. (BTW his daughter is on my daughters Club Soccer Team) He advised her that an MRI is definately indicated because it is the definitive test. That will happen Friday at 10 Am. He said that even if there is a need for a scope that with good rehab she will be between 2 and 6 weeks. I am happy with that, I would have been very happy to not have to be writing about this at all but thats the hand we have. She will probably miss the opening day on April 2 but at least the coach assured us that she has a spot on the team even if it isn't with the big girls we are alright with it.
She stilll has some pain and is still dealing with the effects of the concussion after almost 7 days but every day is one closer to being normal. Thanks to all for at least reading this and I wish you all the best. I will report on the MRI when I know more. Take care.

Offline volley9182

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 02:27:56 PM »
Good luck with the MRI... I hope that she is not in need of a scope and that it is just a sprain, I think that she has been dealt enough to deal with.. Keep us posted as to what the MRI shows..

Good luck and you and your family are in my prayers.

Kelly
2000- LR on Left knee
2001- TTT
2002- Hardware removal
Feb 9, 2007- scope with lateral meniscus tear and popliteal cyst

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 02:43:13 PM »
hi im really sorry to hear of your daughters accident and really hope she will be ok,as for the problem she is having i would not like to say and think this really needs a medical/experts opinion.
personally as she can weight bear and has some movement there i would like to think it is not too serious,i also had a road accident and afterwards could not weight bear whatsoever and had to elevate as my knee swelled severel inches and i could not bear to have my knee downwards.i was off work for several weeks so the fact she is able to go to school looks somewhat promising. :-\
as there is so many different tissues and muscles around your knee i really do hope its just a pull or strain.
please keep us posted how she gets on and i hope this woman who did this is brought to justice,it is shocking how someone could do this and just drive off.
take care,
claire
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 06:33:33 PM »
Im so sorry to hear about your daughters accident. However, it could have been so much worse. Thank goodness she is ok.

How is she feeling today? Did she get the MRI done? Its so hard when one of your kids is hurting. You just want to make it all better. I know. I have three teenage daughters myself.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Welcome to the board, and please keep us informed of her progress.

DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline MowSoccer109

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 11:40:36 PM »
We have an excellent Doctor. He called at 5:10PM on Friday evening, today. The MRI results were expedited at his request so we could find out before the weekend.
As stated it was a slight Grade 2 MCL sprain. The bone has a bruise to it (don't remember which bone) and the VMO muscle also is bruised. Thats all but thats enough.

She is very happy because he said its a ballpark 2 to 4 week recovery. He wants her in the immobilizer for 7 more days. He wants to see her next Thurs or Friday and will put her in a knee brace and also set up the PT exercise routine. I am really as happy as I have been since last Friday when she got hit. My continued prayers go out to you who have much more serious knee issues. I have learned so much but feel so bad to see some of these injuries and conditions that you suffer with. Thanks again for all of the kind thoughts and words. Please stay positive and pray, I can attest that it works.

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 12:23:02 AM »
Dear Mow,

I am so sorry this has happened to your daughter.  I work as a Paramedic and it baffles the mind what one person can do to another.  How lucky she was to have come out with what will be recoverable injuries.  I hope they really take the driver to task - in other words under the jail would be good.  Accidents happen and sometimes there is no one at fault but to drive away when you have hit anything but especially another human being.  I have been doing this occupation for 14 years and still I get amazed when I hear things like this.

I am glad that you got a good report from your daughter's OS.  She will just have to follow the directions of the physician and her physical therapist very carefully.  Please let her know that there are many people here who understand the pain of knee injuries and the pain and frustration of the recovery.  I also can not immagine how you must have felt.  My heart really goes out to you - as parents we all dread that phone call that starts out "I'm ok but..." but this phone call must have been awful.

Please keep us up on how she is doing through her recovery and let us know how you are holding up too.

Be well.

Deborah

Offline Susky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 09:14:53 AM »
Great news Mum!   Glad that your daughter's injuries are recoverable.  I know time really flies when you are having fun - so these next fews weeks might drag a bit ... I wish her a speedy recovery.

Hugs,

Sue x

Offline MowSoccer109

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 09:12:47 PM »
Thanks to all for thoughts and prayers, saw the Ortho today. MCL feel tight, saw the MRI and it wasn't very bad. Its been 1 week since MRI and 2 weeks since accident. She is out of the immobilizer and in a donjoy for 10 days. PT starts 2x a week next tuesday. He is very optimistic and says that she will be 100% by mid April for sure but thinks she will be faster than that since she is healing quick. The donjoy upsets her because she can't wear her nice jeans. (still a girl!!!) but its only temporary. The bruising was slight to the VMO and a little more evident on the tibia but that was 1 week ago. First soccer game is 4-2, next Ortho visit is 3-26. We are hoping for good things and so far it is coming along. Take care all I wish you the best.

support