Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: round in circles  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Reu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
round in circles
« on: June 27, 2003, 03:01:02 AM »
I have intermittent swelling in my left knee during which i can bearly walk.
I had my first Arthroscopy in 1996 after the usual multitude of blood tests and x-rays (which showed nothing) after the op i was told there had been some minor fraying of the cartalidge but other wise all was ok.
After the op my knee was ok for a couple of years then the swelling start coming back once every few months or so and lasting for a couple of weeks. Back to the doc's again and yet more blood tests and x-rays and an mri scan, all inconclusive. the surgeon told me he could operate and fix any problems found. The op was done 3 weeks ago and they found some inflamed tissue which they removed. my knee has been ok for the last few weeks but now the inflamation is back worse than ever. as far as i know i haven't injured my knee at all and i'm getting really worried now. any ideas ?

Offline tazmanian_devil

• Forum Faithful
  • I guess you can't teach an old quad new tricks
Re: round in circles
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 03:26:53 AM »
Hi Reu, Have you been exercising the knee and going to physical therapy? If the muscles around your knee aren't strong it can lead to all kinds of problems. Theresa
L ACL Recon. L lat. meniscus tear 1991, R Dislocated 1996, R ACL partial tear, MCL tear 08/01, R Chondroplasty 2/14/02, R Lateral Release-Medial Reefing-Chondroplasty 12/3/02.

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2003, 10:17:32 AM »
Welcome to the board, Reu!

Are you taking any sort of anti-inflammatory medication?  I can't hope  to tell you what might be going on, but it sure doesn't sound right andneeds some attention.  If I understood you correctly, you had a scope 3 weeks ago and this just started  back up.  The docs found tissue issues but no cartilage problems when it was scoped.  Have you let the doc know that this is going on?

The other helpful thing you could do is elevate that knee periodically and ice it good--which may help the symptoms a good deal---just doesn't get to the bottom of the problem.  At least it is a start...

Take care, Sylvia
« Last Edit: July 01, 2003, 05:55:59 AM by enuff81020 »
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 01:03:12 PM »
Hi Reu
Have you started your PT yet?
It may be as a direct result of the surgery, sometime the effusion can be delayed, it's is worth asking the PT if they have any techniques that may be able to help with pain relief at this time.
Good luck
Iona

Offline Rosa

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2003, 11:34:11 AM »
Hi Reu,
I know just how you feel with the inflammation. But I think just 3 weeks after your op you can expect some swelling - but do check it out with your Dr.
I also suffer from a similar thing. Mine started 4 years ago. I had an arthroscopy in 2000 where they found a bit of damage to the cartilage under the knee cap so this was removed. Following this, the swelling got worse. For me it is constant swelling that never goes away, but with some days worse than others. I had a second op last year where I had a lateral release, more patellar shaving and damaged synovial tissue and adhesions removed. The reason I had a LR was because the knee-cap wasnt tracking properly, & it could be that this was causing irritation and swelling. However, the swelling at times is now worse than ever. Is tracking an issue with your knee at all?
My numerous blood tests were all -ve for RA, as it appears it was for you. Did they test the tissue they removed? I'd be surprised if they didnt. When is your next appt, as you could ask about that then. My tissue showed 'features of RA or a sero-negative arthropathy' (they have decided it is the latter- no known cause).
Are you going to PT? It is difficult with so much swelling as it inhibits proper muscle use and build up, but I've found that things like the stationary bike are useful to loosen the joint.
Are you being treated by an OS or a rheumatologist? It may be worth seeing a rheumatologist as well if you havent seen one already.
Are you taking any anti-inflams? It may be that a steriod injection may help you, but I would be very wary of this. I have had 2 which last for a month or so, then swelling has come back worse than ever and I've refused any more.
I hope that it is just a bit more time that your knee needs to recover from the op, and that it has a positive outcome. But you are the best judge of how your knee feels, so make sure your Dr knows, & seek a second opinion if you dont feel you are getting the answers you need.
Good luck
06/01 'scope rk: patellar shaving, synovial biopsy. 09/02 'scope rk: patellar shaving, suprapatellar plica, adhesions, LR, debridement, partial synovectomy. Swelling & seronegative monoarthritis.

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2003, 02:23:45 PM »
Hey Reu

How's it going at the moment?, Please let us know how you are doing.

TC
Iona

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 104
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 04:04:45 PM »
You seem to have been pretty well investigated, but you still don't have an answer as to why there is inflammation. I believe one condition which may often be missed on arthroscopy  and which can cause an area of inflammation is a pathological (thickened) suprapatellar plica or septum. Perhaps you could ask for a review of the MRI scan with this specifically in mind.
KNEEguru
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 04:05:21 PM by admin »
--
KNEEguru

Offline Josey Posey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Josie Posey
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2003, 10:50:43 PM »
Hi Reu
Just wanted to put your mind at rest a little, I'm 5 weeks post op after arthroscopy (which resulted in debridement and plica removal) and my knee still swells.  I have found that as the pain deminishes and I do more, I get more swelling.  I'm still on the odd anti-inflammatory when needed and after I have been out for a while (say shopping etc) the knee swells and feels like a tight band so I sit with it elevated (besides it's a good excuse to let the others do the washing up).
Would like to know how you get on.
Kind regards
Josie

support