Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TTT recovery thwarted - scared, depressed, embarassed  (Read 974 times)

Offline sinequanonsarah

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
TTT recovery thwarted - scared, depressed, embarassed
« on: March 06, 2007, 07:17:33 PM »
Hi all -

It's been some time since I posted.  I had a TTT in June of last year.  Was in PT for 3.5 months (until mid-October), still definitely needed more when I found that my insurance company had not been paying the PT office.  I stopped going until I could resolve the insurance issues, which were just resolved YESTERDAY.  In the meantime, I had to cancel another post-op appointment with my OS because of insurance issues, as well.

Seeing as insurance issues were resolved yesterday, I called my OS office to reschedule that cancelled appointment.  I'm scared.  To be honest, I really didn't do much in the way of my own rehab after I stopped PT - I was frustrated, depressed, sick of dealing with the stupid knee...  after MONTHS of rehab, I just didn't. want. to. do. any. more.  So I didn't.

The knee is just okay.  Very weak going up and down stairs - most of the time I don't trust it by itself, so I rely heavily on a railing.  Still can't do an active extension (it is SO hard).  I can still visibly see the difference in my muscles in my right versus left legs (left is still noticably smaller).

I want to go back to PT (I NEED to).  My appt with my OS is next week, and I feel like an idiot going in there and saying, "I'm not satisfied with my post-op progress.  And I haven't done much of anything in the last few months to change that at all because I've been too depressed and frustrated."

I didn't get this depressed with my last surgeries - don't know why this one is different.  Advice/encouragement welcome...

Sarah
hypermobile joints
lateral release for patellar stabilization (L) 12/1995 and (R) 03/1996
Tibia Tubercle Transfer/Osteotomy (R) 08/1998 and (L) 06/2006
Synvisc injections (R & L) - 6 series since 2009
Steroid injections (R & L)

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: TTT recovery thwarted - scared, depressed, embarassed
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 11:41:32 PM »
hi sarah,im really sorry to hear how you are feeling but you will get lot of support on here!!
i think it is awful that you had to stop going to physio and your os for money/insurance purposes and think you should try and focus on getting better now you are able to go again rather then worry about the fact that you have not done much yourself while you couldn't go.
im really surprised how quickly we loose our muscle tone,ive been laid up for 6 weeks after my second op and had a set back as i fell down our whole flight of stairs 6 weeks post op,and also feel my bad leg is noticeably smaller and more wobbley then the other!!(i can not even lift mine if its laid flat!! and walk like quasimodo!!))
it is very easy to let yourself get down by knee problems i had a very bad week last week with mine,i was in lot of pain anyway then i had the fall and my rom today is just 10 degrees and to make matters worse my os appears to have forgot to refer me to physio and has only just refferred me today!
i also feel as though i really need to go to physio and can understand why you want to get back into it,id try not to feel like "an idiot" when you go to see you os,you certainly aren't! .......try and just go there starting that day as day one and start again from the beginning working from what you've got rather then thinking about what you could have had if you'd been able to keep going.............i felt very much the same way last week (and several other times while ive had knee problems) but am now trying to look on things more positively! (easier said then done i know!)
let us know how your'e getting on and be sure to post again if you have bad days the support on here is brill!!
take care sarah!!
claire x
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline badguineapig

• Regular Poster
Re: TTT recovery thwarted - scared, depressed, embarassed
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 05:34:58 PM »
I wouldn't be embarrassed.  I know more than a few people with knee surgeries, and I know plenty who didn't follow up with the PT.  It's not that uncommon.  Doctors have to realize that there are other things going on in your life than knees!  And sometimes PT ends up taking a back seat.  But as you said, you do need to get back into it, and the sooner the better!  Don't be ashamed of being human!
Formerly a runner
July 02: Diagnostic arthroscopy R knee, leading to surgical derangement of the extensor mechanism.  (Also known as a lateral release)
April 07: Couch potato.  Tendinopathy, fat pad impingment, persistent weakness.

support