Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lump on the left side of my left knee  (Read 21277 times)

Offline Althas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lump on the left side of my left knee
« on: March 06, 2007, 09:15:35 AM »
Hi All

I wonder if anyone could shed some light on this

For a lot of years (maybe around 15) I have periodically had a hard lump on the left side of my left knee.  When I initially contacted a Doctor, he said it was a bit of floating cartlidge, but said if I could live with it do so, because if I had surgery there would be problems later in life

Now however, the lump and pain is starting to be around on a much more regular basis and sometimes wakes me up at night

I am overweight (which I am presuming is agrivating whatever is wrong).  The pain is a constant ache, which gets worse when I move my knee or put any pressure on it.  It also give pain if I press on the lump, though not as much as walking/moving it.  I do not recall ever having an injury on that knee, so I am a little puzzled as to what it may be

I waer a brace I bought at a sports store, that has some latteral support, which I must admit helps, but with the increased frequency now I am concerned I may need that surgery

If anyone has any ideas what it may be, then I would appreciate any advice

Thanks

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Lump on the left side of my left knee
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 09:20:07 AM »
Hi

Having read your post this morning - the best advice anybody can give, is to see you GP without further - delay with the view to see an Orthopaedic Consultant   

A MRI X-ray will soon establish what is wrong - DONT LEAVE IT - it will not go away on it`s own accord.

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 09:56:28 PM »
Hi there

I think the best thing that you can do right now is to contact your GP. They can take a proper look and if need refer you to an OS who can give you a proper examination.
Don't leave these sort of things it's best to get them looked at by a professional. Even if it's just to put your own mind at rest it's worth it.

Keep is posted on how it goes
Good luck

Sarah

Offline Althas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 08:43:59 AM »
Thanks, I guess I have had this problem on and off for so long (about 15 years now), that I kind of got used to the periodical pain I got from it, just getting more frequent now

So luckily I managed to get a cancellation appointment with my GP (The Practice and Doctors I have to say are a credit to the NHS, exactly how it should be ran in my oppinion), he had a look, a wiggle of my leg etc, and booked me an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon, so he can have a look at it

The Doctor was using the new 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 over budget NHS computer system we have all heard so much about, but I was rarther impressed with it.  It got all the local hospitals within a 25 mile radius up,  showed the average waiting time for appointments, and then straight into the diary of the consultants to book the appointment.  Only thing now is to wait to see if the human side of it (i.e. the OS cancelling the appojntment) will let it down  ;D

I will post further when I know more, but until the next installment, take care of yourselves.............and each other  :D :D

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 03:50:57 PM »
Hi there

Glad to hear that you spoke to your GP and that there sorting you an appointment with an OS.
Good luck with it all, let us know when your going and how you get on

Sarah

Offline Althas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 01:16:24 PM »
Well less than 2 weeks to go to my appointment (if it doesn't get cancelled hehe)

The pain has subsided in my knee (as it usually does) but the hard lump on the outside of my left knee still remains

It seems to become more pronounced when i bend my knee (no constriction of movement)

Has anyone ANY idea what it may be, I have scanned the net but can not see anything that resembles this?

Hope everyone else is well  :)

Offline Althas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 06:41:42 PM »
Well saw the OS today and had some x-rays of the knee.  Happily they were ok (I was worried about some sort of abnormal bone growth"

The Doc said he wants to do an MRI scan on my knee, as he is fairly certain it is some sort of cyst (He did say but for the life of me I can not remember.  I know it was not a Bakers) caused by a tear in the cartridge

He said it is treated with surgery, but will discuss more after the scan

If anyone has a clue what kind of cyst he means, post it and it may ring a bell

Thanks all