Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MCL, knee aspiration and cortisone injection  (Read 7609 times)

Offline airam

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MCL, knee aspiration and cortisone injection
« on: March 03, 2007, 01:45:01 PM »
Hi.
I posted a few weeks ago as I was questioning the nature of my knee injury. I thank everyone for their replies. I am posting again as I finally figured out the nature of my injury and worried about what happened when I saw the OS two days ago. He pressed on my knee and he determined it was MCL. He said that I 'stretched it' and could take up to 4 months to heal!!  He was concerned about the swelling (as I couldn't bend my knee alot) so he aspirated my knee.I'm not sure of tech terms however he removed 4 full needles of bloody fluid. My knee immediatley felt lighter. He then gave me a cortisone shot in the MCL (OUCH!). I walked out of his office relieved my injury was MCL and not meniscus and optimistic the cortisone shot would help. Well, it has been two days and my knee is still swollen and tender - at the site of aspiration and above the knee cap. My knee hurts!! He gave me pain medication however the one he gave me has codeine in it and I can't be drowsy around my 7 mnth old baby and 4 year old. So, I have been taking ibprofen. I am trying to be optimistic however I still can't bend my knee as much as I want to.....actually it is worse now than when my knee was really swollen. I can straighten my knee....bending my knee more that 40% is the problem. I have been doing exercises at home and using a muscle stimulator on my thigh muscle.  I start physical therapy again next week. I can't get a MRI for another 4 months (is is still worth to go I wonder?)

I trust my OS however just wondering if anyone has had similar experience with aspiration and cortisone injection? The pain is worse now! My knee is still swollen! Also, If I stretched my MCL should I be able to at least bend it more?

Frustrated again!

airam :(

Offline Scout

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Pamela
Re: MCL, knee aspiration and cortisone injection
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 09:56:45 PM »
I am searching for posts on cortisone shots to see what the various experiences are and came across yours.  I am curious, how did that work for you?  I noticed that many times people are not replied to here, so the answer to your question is yes, some people do feel worse after the shot for a day or two, it's called "steroidal flare.  I hope you are feeling better today.

I had my first cortisone shot ever on Tuesday morning 5/8/07.  I did not get the infamous "sterioidal flare" within 24 hours and believed I was home free.  Then yesterday afternoon I had the most intense pain, crying out loud pain, as if my knee were being stabbed with icepicks, the small ones that bartenders use.  I tried everything, R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compression, elevation).  I tried  Heat.  Diclofenac, (otherwise known as Volteran).  Two shots of rum.  I took a nap.  Well I tried to anyway, but by then my other knee was in pain as well from hobbling around favoring the bad knee and I could not find a comfortable position to sleep in.  By 10:30 at night I gave in and called the doctor for a refill on my Lortab, just enough to get me through this.  I am icing and elevating today, and also trying some Arnica Cream, (it's an Homeopathic remedy),  because I think I overdid it yesterday morning with housework.  I feel much better today.  If you want to know the whole story of my knee, click on my name and find my other posts, I also have a myspace with blogs.  I am a backpacker, but the original injury was from a simple fall on the sidewalk in 2001.

Offline old skier

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: MCL, knee aspiration and cortisone injection
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 03:05:57 PM »
Hey,  thanks for the info.  on steroid flare.  Never heard of it.
 I had a cortisone injection 7/18/07,  and my  OS  said to rest and RICE  for  a few days. My  knee is a little more swollen than before,  and does not feel any better yet.  What should I expect??  HOw long should I wait before returning to the gym??  ( I  am still doing my stretches and RICE- ing)
skiing accident torn acl 2/19/07
aclr allograft, meniscus repair 4/3/07

support