Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pleased to be on board! Hopefully someone can help?  (Read 7337 times)

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Pleased to be on board! Hopefully someone can help?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2007, 03:25:58 PM »
good luck with it john!!
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline Tussypat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2007, 01:51:16 AM »
Hi John

sorry to see you've been let down by the NHS. I'm in Scotland too, so if I do go and see this good knee guy thats been recommended I'll let you know what hes like! hes in Glasgow so I'm not sure how far you are from there? :)

The good physio you used, was that private or NHS?

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2007, 11:05:09 AM »
hi john just wondering how you're getting on??

Offline johnmac1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2007, 11:37:27 PM »
Hi Tussypat.... my physio i saw was on the NHS and i live in Perthshire, if you like i can PM you her details??

As for everyone else.... HELLO! I'm back after a month away from the forum! Miss me?

Thanls for all the advice and info, very helpful!

I had my appointment with my orthopaedics consultant last week. As you know i had been in my brace for three weeks, and then one week without it to get a bit of movement prior to my return trip last week. The last three weeks have been good, well better than recently! I have had no dislocations, but the pain is still constant, all be it varying from so so to quite bad. The bruising has almost gone (for the moment!) as has the swelling. Movement is as good as its been for a good while, but still no-where near being able to squat or kneel..... doubt i ever will be able to!

So to a certain extent the splint has helped, well at least its prevented it from giving way again. I still have no confidence in the knee and think that it is capable of giving way at any time!  ::)

My appointment as i mentioned was last week, and things went suprisingly well..... well kind of! Went in, saw the consultant as last time and i expected the same words as last time.... but no!  :o

Told him that i still have a loose body, probelms with locking, giving way, instabillity, pain, crunching and movement. Loose body? he said..... ah thats the one thats outside the knee joint? flicking through my records........i dont know where it is, but i can feel it from time to time and move it about with my finger...hmmm he says..... very strange. Well i get locking so something is moving about in my knee, he seems to agree???  :o whats going on?? this is the guy that told me 3 weeks ago to get on with it???

Anyway, a quick examination and a look at my MRI results and i say "apparently the MRI doesn't show any big problems" so if i get the loose body out then things will get better, he shows me the results and contrary to what i've been told by others he says that they aren't great and that there is a lot of rough cartilage and wearing withing the left of the knee joint.

Basically he says it looks like it needs an operation of some sorts and to come back in three months for more x-rays to see if the loose body outside the knee which has shown up on x-rays, is still in the same position.... which is where the last six months of x-rays have shown it to be, if its moved at all then thats a sign its causing problems, i say if it isnt that one then there must be another... he says it would have shown up on the MRI if there was?

So i've got 3 months to build my knee muscles up as best as i can, then its back to him for more x-rays and to get a final... final decision....hopefully

How can one mans opinion change so much in 3 weeks? and who's to say they wont have changed back next time i see him in 3 months??  Whatever he says i need something done!!! I have been able to manipulate the loose body a couple of times in the last week..... just hope its in a different place by the next x-ray!

Two nights ago i could have taken it out myself with a scalpal and a bottle of whisky (for anaesthetic and disinfection!) but now its disappeared back in somewhere again!

Oh well....... anyone else had this? Or have any suggestions?

Thanks all for the words and support!

John.  ;)

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 12:04:17 AM »
Hey I just found this site and your post. I was in a brace from ankle to hip for 5 months. It was awful. I should have gotten a second opinion and didn't. It took me 9 years to finally find a new/better doctor. I had a doctor that said change my lifestyle and live with it. Thats when I decided change docs. I wasn't looking forward to it but I researched doctors and found a great one with great refrences. My primary care doc is the one that said enough was enough and gave me some leads. I was boarder line depressed too. I'm only 36 and some doc is telling me to retire from teaching preschool and to stop coaching. I think some docs are the ones that need to retire.
I've dislocated my knee and one of thepossible reasons is the lateral side of my knee 's muscles are stronger pulling the knee cap. I also didn't llisten to the warning signs and still played through the pain..bad idea. Anyways I had to make the medial side stronger. I think PT would be great for you. It really helped me.
Good Luck.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2007, 10:06:42 PM »
Hi, John. Its good to hear that your last appt went better. I can where you are coming from with regards to the OS drastically changing his opinions though, it just causes confusion. S for building your muscles up, I'd think that your best bet would be to start getting PT sessions asap (something I'm stuggling with atm ::)). Did your OS manage to see anything useful on the X-rays? Mine said he couldn't find anything, so I'm now waiting for an MRI. I have an uncle who has had loads of knee ops and he has had a similar experience.

garth
Knee troubles since 1997
Dec 07 - Scope, just a clear up.
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release
Mar 11 - More done to LR and some 'tweaks'
Nov 12 - Fulkerson and possible vmo advancement, dont know yet!

Offline johnmac1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2007, 06:01:21 PM »
hello all............ back after a longtime away.

I've been seeing a private physio in an attempt to get my muscles built up above and below the knee. On the first visit i was just over an inch thinner at the top of my right knee as apposed to my good left knee... but with some good help from my physio i'm now at half an inch, but its been a long slog!

Had my final orthopaedic appointment today at Perth, and i'm glad to say that i got what i wanted!!!!! yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
 ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D

I am now on the waiting list for surgery and i'm delighted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont expect that my knee will be back to normal... but hopefully it will get better once the loose body is removed. I am going to get a combination of key hole surgery and the inside of the knee is going to be opened up, so they will take a good look around whilst they are in there!!!!!

I'm well chuffed!!!! I'm hoping for a date in the next six to ten weeks, and hopefully after a couple of days in hospital i'll be on the road to recovery!!!  :D  ;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;D

I'll keep you all up to date!

Hope all is well with everyone else, especially you Claire!!

xx thanx all!

John.  ;)

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2007, 06:16:47 PM »
hi john!!

YIPPEE!!! ;D  :D ;) :) ;D

i'm so happy for you that you are finally getting somewhere!!  ;D

i hope the appointment for the surgery comes through soon.

;D you know all your knee geek friends are here for you once you have it done!!  ;D

i hope the anthroscepy sorts out the problems for you and sees you on the road to recovery!
please keep us posted how you are getting on!!

.............it was great to hear from you again and "hear" you sounding so positive!!

take care,

claire  ;D

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2007, 10:38:26 PM »
John,

Thats excellent news. I hope it improves it for you.

garth
Knee troubles since 1997
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release

Offline johnmac1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2007, 03:03:19 PM »
still no appointment date through  ::)  ::)  :(  :(

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2007, 09:31:05 AM »
hey john!
i'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the appointment comes through soon!
the N.H.S are so slow!
take care and i hope other then the knee problems you are doing okay!?
claire x

Offline johnmac1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2007, 06:31:27 PM »
  :D  ;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;D  :D

I have my appointment.......... Monday!! yipeeeeeee. I was fairly taken a back when i got the phone call, i thought it would have been at least a few more months, but it only 3 days away!!!

I'm well chuffed! Hopefully all will go way and i'll be back to my prime with a few months hard graft and physio!

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

I'll keep you all posted! and thanks for the encouragement all!

Thanks,

John.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 06:34:49 PM by johnmac1979 »

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2007, 07:57:38 PM »
good luck on monday john!
im really pleased for you!
let me know how you get on!!

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2007, 09:03:12 PM »
Good luck for tomorrow John. I had a similar phone call a while back when I expected to be waiting at least another couple of months. Good aren't they?
garth
Knee troubles since 1997
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release

Offline johnmac1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2007, 03:56:04 PM »
had my operation on Monday at lunch, got out on Tuesday night. To early to say how things have gone, as its severely swollen and bruised. Loose bodies were removed as was much of the cartilage behind the knee and on the inside. Basically it was shredded, and he had no option other than to remove it. On crutches for a week or so, stitches out in 5 days, then outpatients in two weeks so will have to wait until then to see what happened and what's planned next.

In any case i'll kepp you all informed.... i'm away back to bed...thank god for morphine and Tramadol.....  ;D  ;D