Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Synvisk injections  (Read 6594 times)

Offline bayrab

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Gotta ride - despite bum knee!
    • BayRab Acres
Synvisk injections
« on: September 25, 2002, 08:52:06 PM »
I'm sure those of you who have been on this board awhile have covered this topic, but it's new to me.

I went to the orthopedist on Monday. He thinks the ACL tear isn't the main reason for the pain in my knee. He said that despite the ACL being gone, I have pretty good stability in that knee, from all the exercising and horse riding I do. there is some difference between the left knee and right knee, stability wise. The right knee is the one minus the ACL, but not as much as he usually sees.

Anyway, he thinks that the pain is coming from the joint area where he did the meniscus repair 18 months ago. I had some arthritis in that area, and the   slight movement I'm getting from the knee without the ACL is exacerbating the arthritis.

He said theoretically, an ACL repair surgery should help, but it might not. With the knee more stable, there should be less friction on the arthritic part of the knee, in theory.

He suggested that before we do surgery, we try Synvisk injections.

What do you all think? Have you had them? Did they help? If you had an ACL repair, did it help? He would use arthroscopy for hte ACL repair and use cadaver ligament.

So many questions. Geesh, this getting older stuff isn't much fun, but the alternative is worse, LOL!
chris

Iona_-Uk

Re: Synvisk injections
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2002, 09:02:30 PM »
My dad had similiar injections about 2 years ago, can't remember what they were but it was prior to him having an ACL repair.

Anyway, in the short term, they helped with managing the pain not relieving it completely and it really for him was marred by the injection pain for a few day after,I think he had 4 in total but it did give him the chance to go on holiday prior to surgery.

Iona

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2002, 07:49:46 AM »
Hi!  I had SynVisc in Oct  2000 on my left knee and Jan 2001 on my right knee.  For a while, it helped considerably.  however, I also have arthritis in my feet--and I broke my left foot.  the stress from that on my knees was a real problem--and I didn't get aslong from the treatment as I might have.  There was a point when I actually was able to put on my socks like "normal" people do--LOL

I think this is a treatment that is pretty inconsistent from one person to the next.  I know a woman who actually put off TKR's after SynVisc and spends most of her time now in bowling alleys now.  I also know someone who had a lot of difficulty from the injections and got no relief at all.  Personally, I wish it would have lasted longer, I think for a while I was headed in a positive path.  I will say that I think the SynVisc procedure is less painful than cortisone injections.

Good luck--I hope that you get the outstanding results from this.  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Stevejw

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2002, 10:12:51 PM »
Hello Chris

I had a Hyaluronic acid injection (Synvisc by another name) a few weeks ago - It's a little uncomfortable and you will need to take it easy for a day or two after the shot till it settles down.

Like the other guys who have responded I agree in that the results are different from one person to the next - In my own case, myself and one other guy had the treatment on the same day - he's doing great and is benefitting from considerable relief, I on the other hand have seen no benefit at all.

I hope that helps and I wish you well - as we say in the UK, nothing ventured nothing gained (give it a shot!)

Steve
ACL carbo fibre repair and three revisions. 12 scopes, Primary TKR November 02, revision TKR August 07. Post surgery staph infection, debridement, MUA.

Offline JorJor

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2002, 10:55:08 PM »
I've had 5 rounds of this type of drug and have benefited greatly from it. For me, they tend to wear off in about 6 months but I know others have lasted for 18 months, varies from person to person.
The first few rounds were with Synvisc and now I am using a different drug called Halygen (sp?). I have found that the actual injections (3, one every week for 3 weeks) are less painful and with less reaction on the new drug. You may want to ask your DR about alternative drugs to Synvisc. There is also a new drug called Supart (sp?) out that I hear is a little stronger and it is a 5 injection series.
I have had lots of success with these injections but don't recommend them to the needle phobic or pain intolerate. They can freeze the skin surface but you will still feel the needle once it hits the inter part of the knee joint.  That's ONE HUGE NEEDLE. :o  I don't want to scare you with my details but I have always appreciated when others told me exactly what to expect in situations like this.

Good luck either way!  :)
5 surgeries (2 Micro-Fractures)! 8 rounds of Synvisc, Hylogan(sp?) & Supartz.  5th Scope 2/13/03 chrondoplasty & rp m. meniscus. Won't let it stop me...walked 60 miles in 3 Days for Breast Cancer.

Offline bayrab

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Gotta ride - despite bum knee!
    • BayRab Acres
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2002, 08:16:29 AM »
Thanks for the great info! I hope to be as successful as you with it!

I've had several steroid injections into the bursa in my knee and I tolerated that OK. I should do OK with the Synvisk..

How long does the discomfort from the shot itself last. I have three more endurance rides to do. Should I wait until my ride season is over?

chris

Offline JorJor

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2002, 10:34:31 PM »
Chris-
With Synvisc, for me the discomfort lasted a little more than a day. With the other drug. I was completely fine by the next morning. In fact, I participated in a 5K Walk/Run the next morning following an injection at 4pm the day prior. I would not say this is a typical reaction and I am not sure my OS liked it very much. But he always says, do what you can tolerate...and so I did.
I found that Synvisc had a fairly intense local reaction...some serious swelling that usually last a day but then goes away and Hylagen (sp) didn't. I try to have my injections at the end of my work day so I can go home and veg on the couch. I definitely think that the reactions decreased the more injections I got.  Good luck.
5 surgeries (2 Micro-Fractures)! 8 rounds of Synvisc, Hylogan(sp?) & Supartz.  5th Scope 2/13/03 chrondoplasty & rp m. meniscus. Won't let it stop me...walked 60 miles in 3 Days for Breast Cancer.

Offline ELLEN

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2002, 06:07:30 PM »
Hi Chris:

I had 3 S. injections.  I had pain following inj. for 2 days, i went once a week on fridays.  By monday I was good to go.  I was grossly misdiagnosed when I had these.  they did not eleviate my original pain.  I have spoken with others that have had this.  On Man I know who is severly overweight had 5 injections, and has been pain free for 3 years.  He will need TKR in the future, but the inj. did work for him.

Good luck and I hope I have enlightened you.

ELLEN

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2002, 10:11:18 PM »
Chris

I had the Synvisc injections post-op a lateral release and they did little to nothing for me. But my OS we should give it a 'shot' because he gave these injections to a woman with the same problems as me and she has been painfree for 3 years. She was lucky, I wasn't. Results vary from person to person. The injections weren't painful but my knee got a bit swollen and achy afterwards.

As for the ACLrecon, I think the best option is to go for the recon. If you don't have it, your muscles can take over the function of the ACL but you have a bigger chance of getting arthritis later on. There will always be some instability without surgery. Be aware that although it's a scope it is a long rehab.

Good luck
Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline landess

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2002, 06:40:17 AM »
Hi! I have talked to doctors at great length about these injections. Patients respond very differently based on their degree of arthritis, etc. I do remember a doctor saying the best responses he gets (he uses 5 injections) is in patients after arthroscopy that still do not have full relief.

I have also heard that 5 injections (Supartz, Hyalgan) lasts a longer, but that is only what I have heard and is strictly the opinion of the few people I have talked to...
One doctor had some swelling with a patient after using Synvisc, and that is why he currently uses Supartz and Hyalgan, but many many docs use Synvisc.

Offline sarah

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2002, 03:10:38 PM »
Had first Supartz injection yesterday with no  pain and no swellling. Doctor told me to ice it after the injection for about 20 minutes. Perhaps icing it after will avoid some of the side effects people talk about.
Partial medial meniscectomy and chondroplasty 10/02. OA

Offline westview5579

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2002, 04:33:07 PM »
I just finished a series of Synvisc both knees, the second shot on the right knee was very painful, the rest were not so bad. I think he missed on the one that hurt not sure. I'm post LR right in May left in July. Stade 3 chondro in the right, stage 3 patella defect in the left. Lots of stiffness and pain, but the Synvisc seems to be helping some. I still have my days though. I milk cows for a living 360 to be exact and that can be very demanding on knees with OA. The OS talked about taking my patella's out, I'm really not into that, so I'm hoping the Synvisc will last awhile.
Sheila
LR-Right 5/3/2002, LR-Left 7/12/2002 Synvisc both Sept 2002, LR, MR, Meniscectomy, Chondroplasty Right  5/16/2003, Right TKR 12/19/03 Cellulitis, 12/27/03, MUA 1/23/04,  RSD 2/12/04, MUA 4/6/04

Offline anil111

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2002, 03:23:14 PM »
I had synvisc 3 injections at 62  a year ago. I have sever osteoarthritis in both knees. 7 years ago I had arthroscpy on one knee  and pictures showed blood on both the knee bones. I did not think the injections made any difference to me. Though HMO paid $1500 + drs. fees [cost me $120 in copay] it was worth the try. Atleast now I do not feel I did not try. I still think Cortisone shots I took 7 years ago lasted longer [4-6 months].  Good luck to all of you who are tsking it and please keep posting results regularly.
65, M, bad OS both knees for 15 yrs. barely. Try walk a mile. Row  30 mts  OR  Rally tennis 60 mts. if pain and weather permits. Absolutely no  chasing balls. If fallen  TKR not good to get up????????

support