Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Warming up  (Read 1123 times)

Offline compleks

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Warming up
« on: March 01, 2007, 12:31:15 AM »
Hey guys.
I was hoping you could help me out with a few questions.

I instruct various martial arts and fitness classes, and occasionally as part of the warm up I will get people doing various knee bends.

Basically, with the feet close together and your hand placed on your knees, then just running the knee through a gradually increasing range of motion. Then sometimes circling the knees, clockwise, then anti-clockwise.

I do this with most major joints (windmills with the shoulders, etc...), just to work them through their motions, get some blood flowing, help lubricate the joints and establish basic motor control. Mostly I do these activities with the children, the real reason being that it establishes some control over the class and gets everyone counting together.

So, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some links to any studies / articles that have been done on the effectiveness of these motions as a warm up activity (in terms of benefits, dangers or anything else related). Specifically the knee bending (It's a long story as to why I'm actually asking).

Opinions, criticism and comments would be appreciated also.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Warming up
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 11:12:50 AM »
Fast windmill arm circles aren't the best exercises... I do windmill circles with my riding kids when they are stretching.. but slowly and deliberately.  Shoulders aren't meant to go through that range of motion at high speeds.

Just a thought
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline xxLorrainexx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 08:28:29 PM »
osteo arthritis both knees
arthroscopy right knee sept 05
oats procedure for osteo chondral lesion right knee June 06
TKR right knee in six months possibly
tkr delayed now another arthroscopy and hyalgan injection in 5 months
injections not done as promised saw gp and he'll do them in July

redtoblack

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 09:30:43 PM »
I'm not sure about any specific sites that state the pros/cons of doing this, but one thing you might want to do prior to the stretching is a warm up.  Some kind of walking/slow jog to get the muscles and joints warmed up first.  You shouldn't stretch cold.

Jordan

Offline compleks

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 10:07:50 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

I always get them warmed up first, and I never do any sort of static stretching before training.

Cheers.