Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patellar malalignment/degenerative meniscus  (Read 899 times)

Offline wileyriley

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellar malalignment/degenerative meniscus
« on: February 27, 2007, 07:16:24 PM »
I just came across this board and I am so thankful that I can maybe get some insight as to what's going on with me.  Here's my story...
around 12 years old: diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter
around 18 years old: knee pain, went away with some physical therapy
last summer (34 years old) moving to a new house, no specific injury but my left knee hurt badly for about a week.
on and off since then:  knee pain lasting about a week or so at a time, goes away, comes back worse each time. 
Most recently: pain since mid-january.  pain is and always has been constant, through the whole knee joint.  In other words, I can't really pinpoint where the pain is.  Although at times, it will hurt behind my knee or on the front more than others.
Nothing helps.  I've rested, iced, compressed, and elevated.
Taking celebrex for 10 days now.
Started physical therapy a week ago.
2 family doctors diagnosed it as patellofemoral pain syndrome.
OS sent me for a mri.  it showed a degenerative meniscus but no tear.  he now says it's probably patellar malalignment.  he's sending me for more physical therapy.
Well, all of that would be fine except it hurts like heck 24 hours a day.  stairs, squatting, etc don't bother it anymore than just sitting here.  There's no swelling and no discoloration.  I have full range of movement.   
I teach, have 2 small children, and like all of you don't have time to be in this much pain.
My questions would be:  is the degenerative meniscus something i should look into?  My OS is brand spanking new and has already contradicted himself twice with my diagnosis. 
Could the supposed patellar malalignment be causing all the pain?
Thanks for any insight you may have to offer.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 214
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Patellar malalignment/degenerative meniscus
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 07:42:57 PM »
Hi

Read your posting -  however your knee is so valuable -   you must get to see a second Orthopaedic Consultant - a second opinion is worth it`s weight in gold.

Keep posting.

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline wileyriley

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patellar malalignment/degenerative meniscus
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 08:00:22 PM »
Thanks John42 for your response.  I am leaning towards a second opinion too.  I have a friend who has recommended a good OS.  It gets so frustrating to go to doctor after doctor, sit through the same tests, and still not get any answers.  I'm getting ready to go to another PT session where they are supposed to show me how to tape my knee.  We'll see if that helps.  I am so frustrated with the constant pain!
Love this site!  Very informative!
Best wishes to you also!
wileyriley

support