Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Is this caused by my knees?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Kickboxerchick

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Is this caused by my knees?
« on: February 27, 2007, 02:11:36 PM »
Hi everyone . . . me again, sorry I keep asking lots of questions.

I've been signed off work for just over a month now as my work involves pushing wheelchairs, pulling children (between ages of 11-19) up off the floor! etc etc it's a special school.

Anyway, as I've been off work and not been quite so mobile as I would usually be, I'm a bit concerned about something.

I went on holiday a couple of weeks ago and did a lot more walking around than I had been at home, and also I'm starting a new job which doesn't invovle lots of heavy lifting (bar work) and I did  a few hours yesterday . . . . . what I'm getting at, is that after the walking on holiday, and the bar work yesterday, the muscles in my legs (especially my quads and my calves) ache like crazy!

Is it because of my knee probs? making the muscles work differently to keep me up right, or is there somthing else going on??

What do you think?

I will mention this to my OS on Monday (my appt. can't come fast enough).

Many thanks

Shirley

Diagnosed with Chondromalacia July 2006, really bad left knee . . .not quite so bad right knee!

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Is this caused by my knees?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 02:52:13 PM »
Hi Shirley,

Did you have surgery on your knees? I know that when I am on my feet for long periods of time my knee hurts like crazy and if you haven't used your legs for awhile, they need time to readjust to standing, walking for long periods of time.

Peggy

Offline Kickboxerchick

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 02:58:24 PM »
Hi Shirley,

Did you have surgery on your knees? I know that when I am on my feet for long periods of time my knee hurts like crazy and if you haven't used your legs for awhile, they need time to readjust to standing, walking for long periods of time.

Peggy

Hi Peggy

Thank you for your reply.

No, I haven't had anything done to my knees yet :(  I see my OS for the first time this coming Monday.

Do you think my muscles are aching because they just haven't been use to doing a lot of walking of late???

I start worrying about all sorts like clots in my legs and stuff  :-[

Shirley

Diagnosed with Chondromalacia July 2006, really bad left knee . . .not quite so bad right knee!

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 03:36:17 PM »
Hi Shirley,

I can only tell you that when I don't use my legs for awhile, alot of walking, I could just scream from the aches and pains the following day or even later that night. Stop worrying about clots, you'll drive yourself crazy:)

Glad to hear you are seeing an os. What seems to be the problem?

I fell June 29th  and broke my kneecap and ripped all of the tendons and ligaments in my right knee. Surgery and put back together with pins and wires the next day and pt since August. Hardware coming out in April and 2 more months of pt. Can't wait till this is over!!

Where are you from? I am in PA

Peggy

Offline Kickboxerchick

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 04:54:35 PM »
Hi Shirley,

I can only tell you that when I don't use my legs for awhile, alot of walking, I could just scream from the aches and pains the following day or even later that night. Stop worrying about clots, you'll drive yourself crazy:)

Glad to hear you are seeing an os. What seems to be the problem?

I fell June 29th  and broke my kneecap and ripped all of the tendons and ligaments in my right knee. Surgery and put back together with pins and wires the next day and pt since August. Hardware coming out in April and 2 more months of pt. Can't wait till this is over!!

Where are you from? I am in PA

Peggy

Thanks for your kind words Peggy

I'm in the UK in a county called Suffolk.

I developed Chondromalacia in both knees, but my left has always been the worst of the two.  I now think that I may now have a piece of cartilage which may have broken off as my left knee locks when I try to straighten it :(

I'll be so glad to see my OS.

I believe that my condition was most liely brought on by kickboxing :(  a hobby which I adored and was damn good at, but have had to leave it alone since July 06.

I'm sorry to hear of your knee problems - I just wish I hadn't taken mine for granted when they were OK  :-\

You take care and thanks again

Shirley

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 05:43:15 PM »
Shirley,

Have you had MRI's in the past? What kind of treatment is there for your knee problems? Sorry but I am not familiar with Chondromalacia.

What about heat or ice till you see the os? It's too bad you had to give up something that you really liked doing. Last summer I cried when I had to watch all of my plants die because I was not able to take care of them. I hope to have better luck this year!!

Peggy

Offline xxLorrainexx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 01:48:01 PM »
Hi,
I too was told i had chondromalacia. My right worse than left. Muscles do ache a lot.
Ice the joints, Heat pads on the muscles and rest when you can. If your muscles are tight then it will have an effect on your knees (so an osteopath friend tells me)

Good luck with the othopaedic surgeon. Mine said because of other problems will need knee replacement in years to come. Been like this for 3 years and just thought old age was starting. Don't think martial arts have helped me either.

There are things they can do so make sure they tell you all the options available and take physiotherapy if offered. will show you some great stretches.

I'm in uk too, in Bedfordshire and the nhs may be slow but they get around to you eventually, ha ha
osteo arthritis both knees
arthroscopy right knee sept 05
oats procedure for osteo chondral lesion right knee June 06
TKR right knee in six months possibly
tkr delayed now another arthroscopy and hyalgan injection in 5 months
injections not done as promised saw gp and he'll do them in July

support